*This page last updated:
04 May, 2017 11:03
PST. (Log of recent changes)
Disclaimer: The information listed below is about a game that is still under development, and so is incomplete and subject to change.
Civics now behave very much like a second technology tree, with each new civic gradually unlocked by accumulated Culture. Each Civic unlocks one or more items, including policies, district or building types, wonders, and government types. Each government type has a varying number of color-coded slots for policies, and you can mix and match which policies to place in which slot. The starting "Chiefdom" government type has one military slot and one economic slot; later government types have more and different slot types. There are four policy slot types: Military, Economic, Diplomatic, and Wildcard (which is a policy type, in addition to a slot type).
"There were always a lot of things in the tech tree like 'chivalry' that weren't really a technology." - Ed Beach
The "Eureka" objective system that applies to research also applies to Civics (though they are called "Inspirations"); completing these objectives will add huge culture credits toward earning that particular civic.
Civics are divided into the same eras as Technologies are, and you can advance to the next era via Civics instead of technologies.
Here is a full version of the tree from the 03-Aug videos. Keep in mind that this is not the final version of the tree.
There are hidden bonuses for each Civic that are not listed in the tree view. I will list these in the "Other" column as I find them. The research costs here are based on Quick game speed, but should be viewed with suspicion and as a relative measure only.
|Code of Laws||20||Ancient||Survey, Discipline, Urban Planning, God King||-|
|Craftsmanship||40||Ancient||Ilkum, Agoge||Improve 3 tiles.||-|
|Foreign Trade||40||Ancient||Trader unit, Maritime Industries, Caravansaries, Join War agreement||Discover a second continent.||Allows Trade Routes.|
|Military Tradition||50||Ancient||Strategos, Maneuver||Clear a Barbarian outpost.||Grants flanking and support combat bonuses to all units.|
|State Workforce||70||Ancient||Conscription, Corvée||Build any district.||-|
|Early Empire||70||Ancient||Colonization, Land Surveyors, Open Borders agreement||Grow your civilization to at least 6 population.||Unlocks the ability to enforce borders and grant Open Borders.|
|Mysticism||50||Ancient||Oracle, Inspiration policy, Revelation policy||Found a Pantheon||Awards 1 Envoy|
|Games and Recreation||110||Classical||Colosseum, Arena, Entertainment complex, Insulae policy||Research the Construction technology.|
|Political Philosophy||110||Classical||Autocracy, Classical Republic, Oligarchy, Charismatic Leader, Diplomatic League||Build a wonder.|
|Drama and Poetry||110||Classical||Amphitheater, Theater Square, Literary Tradition policy|
|Military Training||120||Classical||Raid policy, Veterancy policy||Build an Encampment||Awards 1 Envoy|
|Defensive Tactics||175||Classical||Limes policy, Bastions policy||Be the target of a Declaration of War.|
|Recorded History||175||Classical||Great Library, Natural Philosophy policy||Build 2 Campus districts.|
|Theology||120||Classical||Temple, Mahabodhi Temple, Scripture policy||Found a Religion.||Awards 1 Envoy, obsoletes God King policy|
|Naval Tradition||200||Medieval||Naval Infrastructure, Navigation||Kill a unit with a Quadrireme||Awards 1 Envoy.|
|Feudalism||275||Medieval||Feudal Contract policy, Serfdom policy||Build 6 Farms.||+1 Food for each farm when 3 are adjacent. Obsoletes Agoge, Ilkum|
|Civil Service||275||Medieval||Retainers policy, Meritocracy policy, Alliance agreement||Grow a city to 10 population.||Allows Alliances.|
|Mercenaries||290||Medieval||Professional Army, Sack, Trade Confederation||Have 8 land combat units in your army.||Awards 1 Envoy|
|Medieval Faires||385||Medieval||Medina Quarter, Aesthetics, Merchant Confederation||Maintain 4 Trade Routes.||Obsoletes Insulae|
|Guilds||385||Medieval||Chichen Itza, Craftsmen, Town Charters, Traveling Merchants||Build 2 Markets||-|
|Divine Right||290||Medieval||Mont St. Michael, Monarchy, Chivalry, Gothic Architecture||Build 2 Temples||Obsoletes Corvee, Maneuver|
|Exploration||400||Renaissance||Merchant Republic, Native Conquest, Colonial Offices, Mission||Build 2 Caravels.||+1 Food from Pastures. Obsoletes Discipline, Survey, Urban Planning|
|Humanism||540||Renaissance||Archaeological Museum, Art Museum, Frescoes, Invention||Earn a Great Artist.||Obsoletes Revelation|
|Diplomatic Service||540||Renaissance||Machiavellianism, Spy unit, Resident Embassies agreement, Declare Holy War, Declare Liberation War, Declare Reconquest War, Declare Protectorate War||Have an alliance with another civilization||Allows Resident Embassies and your first Spy. Casus Belli may now be used to justify wars.|
|Reformed Church||400||Renaissance||Theocracy, Religious Orders, Simultaneum, Wars of Religion||Have 6 cities following your Religion.|
|Mercantilism||655||Renaissance||Privateer, Logistics, Triangular Trade||Earn a Great Merchant||+1 Production from Camps, Obsoletes Caravansaries|
|The Enlightenment||655||Renaissance||Free Market, Liberalism, Rationalism||Earn 3 Great People.||Religious Tourism effects are halved versus your civilization.|
|Colonialism||690||Industrial||Colonial Taxes, Press Gangs, Raj||Research the Astronomy Technology||Awards 1 Envoy. Obsoletes Maritime Industry|
|Civil Engineering||875||Industrial||Public Works, Skyscrapers||Build 7 different specialty districts||Can build Farms on Hills. All cities gain +200 Fortification strength and bombardment ability. Obsoletes Bastions, Corvee, Gothic Architecture, Limes, Serfdom|
|Nationalism||875||Industrial||Grande Armee, National Identity, Declare Colonial War||Declare war using a casus belli.||+1 Spy slot. Unlocks Corps and Fleets. Obsoletes Feudal Contract|
|Opera and Ballet||690||Industrial||Bolshoi Theatre wonder, Grand Opera, Symphonies||Build an Art Museum.||Awards 1 Envoy.|
|Natural History||830||Industrial||Archaeologist, Zoo, Hermitage, reveal Antiquity Sites||Build an Archaeological Museum.||Awards 1 Envoy|
|Urbanization||1010||Industrial||Neighborhood district, Military Research, Public Transport||Grow a city to 15 population.|
|Scorched Earth||1010||Industrial||Expropriation, Military Organization, Total War||Build 2 Field Cannons.||Awards 1 Envoy. Obsoletes Colonization, Land Surveyors, Raid, Sack, Strategos|
|Conservation||1140||Modern||Naturalist unit, Resource Management policy, National Parks||Have a Neighborhood district with Breathtaking Appeal.||Awards 1 Envoy. Builders may plant Woods. Old growth Woods gain +1 Appeal.|
|Mass Media||1280||Modern||Cristo Redentor, Broadway, Propaganda||Research Radio.||Obsoletes Retainers|
|Mobilization||1280||Modern||Levee en Masse policy, Defensive Pact agreement, Declare War of Territorial Expansion||Have 3 Corps in your army.||Unlocks Army and Armada. Obsoletes Conscription|
|Capitalism||1420||Modern||Laissez-Faire, Market Economy||Build 3 Stock Exchanges.||Obsoletes Trade Confederation, Traveling Merchants|
|Ideology||600||Modern||Police State policy||-||+1 Spy slot|
|Nuclear Program||1560||Modern||Nobel Prize, Nuclear Espionage||Build a Research Lab.||Obsoletes Inspiration|
|Suffrage||1560||Modern||Democracy, Arsenal of Democracy, Economic Union, New Deal, Their Finest Hour||Build 4 Sewers.||Obsoletes Liberalism, Medina Quarter, Naval Infrastructure, Town Charters|
|Totalitarianism||1560||Modern||Fascism, Gunboat Diplomacy, Lightning Warfare, Martial Law, Third Alternative||Build 3 Military Academies.||Obsoletes Charismatic Leader, Chivalry, Maneuver|
|Class Struggle||1560||Modern||Communism, Collectivization, Defense of the Motherland, Five-Year Plan, Patriotic War||Build 3 Factories.||Obsoletes Craftsmen, Natural Philosophy|
|Cultural Heritage||1700||Atomic||Sydney Opera House, Heritage Tourism, reveal Shipwreck resource||Have 3 Themed Museums,||Awards 1 Envoy|
|Cold War||1900||Atomic||Containment, Cryptography, International Waters||Research the Nuclear Fission technology.||+1 Spy slot. Obsoletes Maritime Industries, Press Gangs|
|Professional Sports||1900||Atomic||Maracanã Stadium, Stadium, Sports Media||Build 4 Entertainment Complex districts.||Obsoletes Aesthetics, Grand Opera|
|Rapid Deployment||2100||Atomic||Military First||Build an Aerodrome or Airstrip on a foreign continent.||Allows airlift between Airports. Obsoletes Grand Armee.|
|Space Race||2100||Atomic||Integrated Space Cell, Satellite Broadcasts||Build a Spaceport district.||Obsoletes Military Research|
|Globalization||2400||Information||Ecommerce, International Space Agency, Strategic Air Force||Build 3 Airports.||+1 Gold to Plantations. Obsoletes Their Finest Hour, Triangular Trade. Repeatable for additional Score.|
|Social Media||2400||Information||Collective Activism, Online Communities||Research the Telecommunications technology.||Repeatable for additional Score.|
Known government types and their associated bonuses and policy slot types:
|Government||Inherent Bonus||Legacy Bonus||Social Policy Slot Types|
|Chiefdom||(none?)||(none?)||1 military, 1 economic|
|Classical Republic||All cities with a district receive +1 Amenity||+X% Bonus Great People point generation.||2 economic, 1 diplomatic, 1 wildcard|
|Oligarchy||All melee units gain +4 Combat Strength||+X% Combat experience for units.||1 military, 1 economic, 1 diplomatic, 1 wildcard|
|Autocracy||Capital receives +1 boost to all yields||+X% bonus on wonder production.||2 military, 1 economic, 1 wildcard|
|Monarchy||+2 Housing in any city with Medieval Walls.||+X% bonus influence points generation.||3 military, 1 economic, 1 diplomatic, 1 wildcard|
|Theocracy||Can buy land combat units with Faith. All units +5 in theological combat.||+X% discount on Faith purchases.||2 military, 2 economic 1 diplomatic, 1 wildcard|
|Merchant Republic||+2 Trade Routes.||+X% discount on gold purchases.||1 military, 2 economic, 1 diplomatic, 2 wildcard|
|Democracy||Patronage of Great People costs 50% less gold.||+X% bonus yield from district projects.||1 military, 3 economic, 2 diplomatic, 2 wildcard|
|Communism||Industrial Zone Districts can defend. Land units gain +4 defense strength.||+X% bonus on all types of production.||3 military, 3 economic, 1 diplomatic, 1 wildcard|
|Fascism||All combat units gain +6 attack strength.||+X% bonus on unit production||4 military, 1 economic, 1 diplomatic, 2 wildcard|
All government and social policy changes are free on the turn that a new Civic is completed.
The "Legacy Bonus" is a % bonus that accrues the longer you stay with a particular government, but which you keep even if you later change governments.
"We allow you to re-slot policies for free every time you complete a Civic. You can do it anytime you want, it just costs some gold if you're doing it between turns. For a culture player, there's a large amount of Military-specific policies that you can get. If you're a Military-focused player, you might not have as deep a lineup of policies, because you're mainly playing science. As a culture player, you'll have those abilities. You'll be able to produce units 25 percent faster as an example. You can react to stuff pretty quickly. If you're really far behind there may be no hope, but there's a lot of knobs a player can turn to get a lot more defensive ability." - Dennis Shirk
- Survey (Code of Laws): Double experience for Recon Units.
- Discipline (Code of Laws): +5 Combat Strength when fighting Barbarians.
- Maritime Industries (Foreign Trade): +100% Production towards Ancient and Classical era naval units.
- Retainers (Civil Service): +1 Amenity for cities with a garrisoned unit.
- Maneuver (Military Tradition): +100% Production toward Ancient and Classical era heavy and light cavalry units.
- Conscription (State Workforce): Unit maintenance reduced by 1 Gold per turn, per unit.
- Agoge (Craftsmanship): +50% Production toward Ancient and Classical era melee and ranged units.
- Limes (Defensive Tactics): +100% Production towards defensive buildings.
- Bastions (Defensive Tactics): +6 City defense strength, +5 City ranged attack strength.
- Chivalry (Divine Right): +50% Production towards Medieval, Renaissance, and Industrial era heavy and light cavalry units.
- Town Charters (Guilds): +100% Commercial Hub district adjacency bonuses.
- Feudal Contract (Feudalism): +50% to production of Medieval & Renaissance melee/ranged units.
- Sack (Mercenaries): Double yields from pillaging districts.
- Professional Army (Mercenaries): 50% discount on unit upgrades.
- Raid (Military Training): double yields from pillaging improvements
- Veterancy (Military Training): +30% production towards encampments & encampment buildings
- Native Conquest (Exploration): Combat victories over units from earlier eras provide Gold equal to 50% of the Combat Strength of the defeated unit.
- Wars of Religion (Reformed Church): +4 Combat Strength when fighting civilizations that follow other religions.
- Logistics (Mercantilism): +1 Movement if starting turn in friendly territory.
- Press Gangs (Colonialism): 100% Production toward Renaissance and Industrial era naval units.
- Grand Armee (Nationalism): +50% Production toward Industrial and Modern era melee and ranged units.
- National Identity (Nationalism): Units have 50% less Combat Strength reduction from being injured.
- Military Research (Urbanization): Military Academies and Seaports generated +1 Science.
- Total War (Scorched Earth): Yields gained from pillaging are doubled.
- Propaganda (Mass Media): Accumulate 25% less war weariness than usual.
- Levee en Masse (Mobilization): Unit maintenance cost reduced by 2 Gold per turn, per unit.
- Their Finest Hour (Suffrage): +50% Production toward Modern and Atomic air units.
- Lightning Warfare (Totalitarianism): +100% Production for Modern, Atomic, and Information era light and heavy cavalry units.
- Martial Law (Totalitarianism): Accumulate 25% less war weariness than usual.
- Patriotic War (Class Struggle): +100% production toward Modern, Atomic, and Information era support units.
- Defense of the Motherland (Class Struggle): No war weariness from combat in your territory.
- International Waters (Cold War): +100% production toward Modern, Atomic, and Information era naval units, excluding Carriers.
- Military First (Rapid Deployment): +50% production toward Atomic and Information era melee and ranged units.
- Integrated Space Cell (Space Race): +15% production toward Space Race projects if a city has either a Military Academy or a Seaport.
- Strategic Air Force (Globalization): +50% production toward Information era air units, and toward all Carriers.
- Diplomatic League (Political Philosophy): The first Envoy you send to each city-state counts as two Envoys.
- Charismatic Leader (Political Philosophy): +2 Influence points per turn towards earning city-state Envoys.
- Merchant Confederation (Medieval Faires): +1 Gold from each of your Envoys at city-states.
- Machiavellianism (Diplomatic Service): +50% production towards Spies. Spy operations take 25% less time.
- Raj (Colonialism): +2 Science, Culture, Faith, and Gold from each city-state your are Suzerain of.
- Police State (Ideology): Enemy Spies level reduced by 2 in your lands. However, all cities suffer -1 Amenity.
- Nuclear Espionage (Nuclear Program): Spies who steal a tech boost without being detected gain an extra boost.
- Arsenal of Democracy (Suffrage): Your Trade Routes to an Ally's city provide +2 Food and +2 Production for both cities.
- Gunboat Diplomacy (Totalitarianism): Open Borders with all city-states, and +4 Influence points per turn toward earning Envoys.
- Cryptography (Cold War): Enemy Spy level reduced by 2 in your lands. Your Spy level is increased by 1 for offensive operations.
- Containment (Cold War): Each Envoy you send to a city-state counts as two, if its Suzerain has a different government than you.
- International Space Agency (Globalization): +10% Science per city-state you are the Suzerain of.
- Collective Activism (Social Media): +10% Culture per city-state you are the Suzerain of.
- Urban Planning (Code of Laws): +1 Production in all cities.
- God King (Code of Laws): +1 Faith and +1 Gold in the Capital.
- Ilkum (Craftsmanship): +30% Production toward Builders.
- Meritocracy (Civil Service): Each city receives +1 Culture for each specialty district it constructs.
- Caravansaries (Foreign Trade): +2 Gold from all Trade Routes
- Colonization (Early Empire): +50% Production towards Settlers
- Land Surveyors (Early Empire): Reduces cost of purchasing a plot by 20%
- Insulae (Games and Recreation): +1 Housing in all cities with at least 2 specialty districts.
- Corvée (State Workforce): +15% Production toward Ancient and Classical wonders.
- Scripture (Ideology): +!00% Holy Site adjacency bonuses.
- Gothic Architecture (Divine Right): +15% to production of Medieval and Renaissance Wonders.
- Craftsmen (Guilds): +100% Industrial Zone adjacency bonuses.
- Serfdom (Feudalism): newly trained Builders gain +2 actions
- Trade Federation (Mercenaries): +1 Culture and +1 Science from international Trade Routes.
- Aesthetics (Medieval Faires): +100% Theater Square adjacency bonuses.
- Medina Quarter (Medieval Faires): +2 Housing in all cities with at least 3 specialty districts.
- Religious Orders (Reformed Church): All religious units +5 Religious Strength in theological combat.
- Simultaneum (Reformed Church): Doubles Faith yield from Holy Site district buildings.
- Natural Philosophy (Recorded History): +100% Campus district adjacency bonuses,
- Colonial Offices (Exploration): +15% faster growth for cities not on your Capital's original continent.
- Triangular Trade (Mercantilism): +4 Gold and +1 Faith from all Trade Routes.
- Rationalism (Enlightenment): +100% Science from Campus district buildings.
- Free Market (Enlightenment): +100% Gold yield from Commercial Hub district buildings.
- Liberalism (Enlightenment): +1 Amenity to all cities with at least 2 specialty districts.
- Colonial Taxes (Colonialism): +25% Gold in cities not on your original Capital's continent.
- Public Works (Civil Engineering): +30% Production towards Builders, and newly trained Builders gain 2 extra build actions.
- Skyscrapers (Civil Engineering): +15% Production towards Industrial era and later wonders.
- Grand Opera (Opera and Ballet): +100% Culture yield from Theater Square district buildings.
- Public Transport (Urbanization): Receive 50 Gold per Appeal of tile when replacing a Farm with a Neighborhood District.
- Expropriation (Scorched Earth): Settler cost reduced by 50%. Plot purchase cost reduced by 20%.
- Resource Management (Conservation): 1 copy of a Strategic Resource allows you to produce and purchase units requiring it in any city.
- Market Economy (Capitalism): Your international Trade Routes provide +1 Gold per Luxury and Strategic Resource improved at the destination, as well as +2 Culture and +2 Science.
- Economic Union (Suffrage): +100% Commercial Hub and Harbor district adjacency bonuses.
- New Deal (Suffrage): +4 Housing, +2 Amenities, -8 Gold to all cities with at least 3 specialty districts.
- Third Alternative (Totalitarianism): +4 Gold from each Research Lab, Military Academy, and Power Plant
- Five Year Plan (Class Struggle): +100% Campus and Industrial Zone adjacency bonuses.
- Collectivization (Class Struggle): +4 Food from domestic Trade Routes.
- Heritage Tourism (Cultural Heritage): +100% Tourism from Great Works of Art and Artifacts.
- Sports Media (Professional Sports): +100% Theater Square adjacency bonuses, and Stadiums generate +1 Amenity.
- Satellite Broadcasts (Space Race): Triples Tourism from Great Works of Music.
- Ecommerce (Globalization): +5 Production and +10 Gold from international Trade Routes.
- Online Communities (Social Media): +50% Tourism output to civilizations to which you have a Trade Route.
- Inspiration (Mysticism): +2 Great Scientist points per turn.
- Literary Tradition (Drama and Poetry): +2 Great Writer points per turn.
- Revelation (Mysticism): +2 Great Prophet points per turn.
- Strategos (Military Tradition): +2 Great General points per turn.
- Frescoes (Humanism): +2 Great Artist points per turn.
- Invention (Humanism): +2 Great Engineer points per turn.
- Navigation (Naval Tradition): +2 Great Admiral points per turn
- Traveling Merchants (Guilds): +2 Great Merchant points per turn
- Symphonies (Opera and Ballet): +4 Great Musician points per turn.
- Military Organization (Scorched Earth): +4 Great General points per turn.
- Laissez-Faire (Capitalism): +4 Great Merchant points per turn.
- Nobel Prize (Nuclear Program): +4 Great Scientist points per turn.