Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Snoofman »

On a separate topic/inquiry, what are a few specific popular games loroi like to play? Both one-on-one or in groups?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:08 am
On a separate topic/inquiry, what are a few specific popular games loroi like to play? Both one-on-one or in groups?
Do you mean boardgames, children's games (tag, etc.) computer games or sports?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:57 am
Snoofman wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:08 am
Do you mean boardgames, children's games (tag, etc.) computer games or sports?
I was referring more to board games like Crossfire. Or if the loroi have something akin to Poker. But if it’s not too much trouble maybe you could enlighten us on all of the above?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:25 am
I was referring more to board games like Crossfire. Or if the loroi have something akin to Poker. But if it’s not too much trouble maybe you could enlighten us on all of the above?
viewtopic.php?p=17183#p17183

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:01 pm
Snoofman wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:25 am
viewtopic.php?p=17183#p17183

And now we know why Talon kicks Spiral's butt at Crossfire!

Either she is overly familar with Spiral's tactics or she is throwing Spiral off her concentration via chatting telepathically.

You would not even need to be a pro to beat a Loroi at chess, especially if you ARE Loroi. Hard for a brain to prioritize between telepathy and tactical thinking, even harder to conceal your stress if you make a poor move.

In virtually every serious human chess game I have ever seen, players have a 'poker face' (emotionless) and try their best to avoid talking so they can concentrate on the game itself.

No wonder why Alex beat Talon!

Alex is no pro and neither is Talon!

Talon probably is just used to using Loroi trump card tactics to beat her BFF, so faced with someone who is immune to that she is beaten... by Alex doing probably the EXACT thing she does to Spiral... chat her up and throw her mind off the game.

Actually in Talon's case it's worse since trade is a foreign language to her anyway.

So Alex may not be the Bobby Fischer of Crossfire and think I am quite right in presuming that Talon is'nt either.

No Loroi above average at Crossfire will be beaten by a total newbie... especially if they are trying to actually win.

What Alex and Talon likely both have in common is that they can be shrewd and cunning when they wish to be.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

The telekinetic problem with dice could be solved pretty easily by using a cup to conceal the dice while they roll, only to reveal them after they come to rest. A "hidden spinner" could accomplish the same thing. The Lotto would work, I think, without any modification at all.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Demarquis wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:29 pm
The telekinetic problem with dice could be solved pretty easily by using a cup to conceal the dice while they roll, only to reveal them after they come to rest. A "hidden spinner" could accomplish the same thing.
Fair point.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Black Hole

3-5 Players

Each player antes in. Dealer deals two cards, face up, to each player, then deals three ‘hole’ cards, face down in the middle of the table (everyone knows they are there, but no one can see what they are; thus the title). Each player may then exchange 0, 1, or 2 cards from her hand. Then betting begins. There is no ‘bluffing’ (a.k.a., ‘Lying’). Once betting has gone around the table twice (raise, check, or fold), an automatic ‘call’ is made, and the three hole cards are turned face-up in a spread.

The player with the best hand - one or two hand cards in any combination with the three hole cards - wins the pot.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:52 pm
Black Hole

3-5 Players

Each player antes in. Dealer deals two cards, face up, to each player, then deals three ‘hole’ cards, face down in the middle of the table (everyone knows they are there, but no one can see what they are; thus the title). Each player may then exchange 0, 1, or 2 cards from her hand. Then betting begins. There is no ‘bluffing’ (a.k.a., ‘Lying’). Once betting has gone around the table twice (raise, check, or fold), an automatic ‘call’ is made, and the three hole cards are turned face-up in a spread.
I enjoy games with a random element, because in purely deterministic games like chess there is a mathematically calculatable best move in any given situation. But games that are pure randomness (blind draw, dice, roulette, lotteries) don't appeal much to me, because there's no "gameplay" there; you could leave the room and the outcome would be the same. Games like the above where all hands are face-up are just one step step away from pure randomness; there are choices to make, but every player has the same information, and so there is a calculatable best probability choice in any situation. My general rule is that if a computer program written in 1996 or earlier can consistently beat an expert human player in a particular game, then that game probably isn't my cup of tea.

The other problem with deck-based card games is the potential for card-counting, if there are Loroi with eidetic memory anywhere around.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:45 am
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:41 pm
Q2. Are "Seers" able to send thoughts, or do they need a Mizol to relay their findings?
While inside the amplification chamber, a Farseer's telepathic transmissions tend to be reflected back at her, so she uses a neural link (similar to what the fighter pilots use) to communicate with her operator. No, the operator doesn't need to be Mizol.
Are you able to show us what the amplification chamber looks like yet? Actually, I should probably ask first if that would be spoilerific?
Don't delay, join today!

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:11 am
I enjoy games with a random element, because in purely deterministic games like chess there is a mathematically calculatable best move in any given situation. But games that are pure randomness (blind draw, dice, roulette, lotteries) don't appeal much to me, because there's no "gameplay" there; you could leave the room and the outcome would be the same. Games like the above where all hands are face-up are just one step step away from pure randomness; there are choices to make, but every player has the same information, and so there is a calculatable best probability choice in any situation. My general rule is that if a computer program written in 1996 or earlier can consistently beat an expert human player in a particular game, then that game probably isn't my cup of tea.

The other problem with deck-based card games is the potential for card-counting, if there are Loroi with eidetic memory anywhere around.
@ARIOCH: After thinking about it for a while, I have to ask if games like Crossfire are developed as much for entertainment value as they are to provide opportunities to practice and improve each player's lotai?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hālian wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:21 am
Are you able to show us what the amplification chamber looks like yet? Actually, I should probably ask first if that would be spoilerific?
The first rule of the farsensing device is that we do not talk about the farsensing device. :D
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:05 pm
After thinking about it for a while, I have to ask if games like Crossfire are developed as much for entertainment value as they are to provide opportunities to practice and improve each player's lotai?
The whole reason we play is for practice, whether we're developing our strength and motor skills, or improving our logic and strategic ability. Whoever invented chess may have intended that it as a strategic exercise, but I think it's more likely that he just thought it would be fun and interesting.

Aside: our boardgames are at least as old as our civilization; the Sumerian "Royal Game of Ur" dates to about 2500 BCE. It plays a bit like backgammon.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:27 pm
Hālian wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:21 am
The first rule of the farsensing device is that we do not talk about the farsensing device. :D
:(
Don't delay, join today!

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

SpoilerShow

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

More along the lines of
SpoilerShow
tumblr_nbf716oI051tip3slo1_640.jpg
tumblr_nbf716oI051tip3slo1_640.jpg (70.24 KiB) Viewed 22907 times
:shock:

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

At least there's probably a port in there somewhere to charge your PADD

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:12 am
:shock:
:o
Heavy BreathingShow

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

I guess the Vader meditation chamber beats Luke in a diaper with a scuba mask.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

i presume Earth animals unlike humans, may be susceptible to Loroi telepathy.

If this has been answered a poster can answer for me. Thanks!

I am aware that certain creatures are more or less susceptible than others.

At any rate given how dogs already act (pack and leader mentality), if Loroi mind tricks work on Earth animals at all, dogs would definitely be effected.

Cats? Less so if at all lol.

Why do I even ask?

Fanfic writers would and could use such information.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Hmm. Pure speculation, but I would presume that some degree of cognitive sophistication is required for the Loroi to connect at all, else they would never get sick ("Stay back, viruses!"). But too sophisticated might create resistance, due to the will of the individual. I have no idea where the line is drawn, but I could imagine a scenario where cats are easier to control than dogs.

But it would be interesting to know if Earth animals are as invisible as humans to Loroi, implying that the effect isn't limited to just the one species, but is something shared by all of them. Something in the DNA? Base proteins?