Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by GeoModder »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 pm
Does Fireblade have any trauma from her childhood days?
Well, she grew up in a genocidal warzone? :P

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 pm
I read that our Listel Beryl has a phobia regarding 'being around too many people'; is it related to any childhood trauma?
I meant agoraphobia as in 'a fear of wide-open spaces;' I was not aware of the other definitions (fear of crowds, or of traveling). Beryl is not afraid of crowds or of traveling (which is a good thing, because she's spent much of her life traveling on ships densely packed with other people.

Beryl is most comfortable in enclosed spaces; she grew up aboard ships and in underground habs. She experiences some mild anxiety when outdoors. She has always felt this way, but her unpleasant experiences in the outdoor diral training on Mezan exacerbated the problem. It's not a full-blown incapacitating phobia, just a quirk.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

About 30 to 40 percent of real-life people may have experienced hypnagogic hallucinations -- the hearing of voices or seeing of visions just before falling asleep.  The first time it happened to me was after standing duty for over 24 hours on my first ship, when I thought someone was broadcasting incomprehensible radio chatter over the 1MC (no one else in the crew heard these "voices", so I put it down as exhaustion).  It has happened maybe once a year since then, and only after I have been driven to the point of exhaustion by the events of the day.  Hypnagogic hallucinations may account for claims of supernatural hauntings and visitations, as well, and may have given rise to the incubus/succubus myths.

I am guessing that this mechanism is similar to what Alex has been experiencing with his pre-sleep "visions".

@ Arioch: Does Alex have a history of hypnagogic hallucinations?  Have the Loroi somehow evolved into or "mastered" their species' hypnagogic state to provide/enhance their natural "psionic" abilities? 
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I'm not sure where the dividing line between dream and "hallucination" lies... or even if such a line really exists. I think most people have dreams that seemed real or in which we had trouble figuring out whether we were asleep or awake... I know I sometimes slip into a dream state during a short nap before I'm fully asleep, or dream that I've gotten up when I'm still in bed. I remember an incident in which I was in my sister's room (which was where we did our art projects) and she was napping... she started snoring, and I would say "shut up!" to which she would momentarily stop snoring, then resume; after the fourth or fifth time she woke up, and told me that she had been dreaming that she was trying to talk to me, but I kept telling her to shut up. The dream world impinges on our conscious perception of reality, and vice-versa.

I also remember having a conversation with a coworker about an incident which informed her belief in ghosts -- she had been in bed and saw a ghost standing at the foot of her bed. I asked her if she were in the process of falling asleep, and she said yes... but no amount of argument could convince her that this was obviously a dream.

The question of what Alex is experiencing will, of course, be explored further in the story.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 pm
I'm not sure where the dividing line between dream and "hallucination" lies... or even if such a line really exists. I think most people have dreams that seemed real or in which we had trouble figuring out whether we were asleep or awake... I know I sometimes slip into a dream state during a short nap before I'm fully asleep, or dream that I've gotten up when I'm still in bed. I remember an incident in which I was in my sister's room (which was where we did our art projects) and she was napping... she started snoring, and I would "shut up!" to which she would momentarily stop snoring, then resume; after the fourth or fifth time she woke up, and told me that she had been dreaming that she was trying to talk to me, but I kept telling her to shut up. The dream world impinges on our conscious perception of reality, and vice-versa.

I also remember having a conversation with a coworker about an incident which informed her belief in ghosts -- she had been in bed and saw a ghost standing at the foot of her bed. I asked her if she were in the process of falling asleep, and she said yes... but no amount of argument could convince her that this was obviously a dream.
So you do know what I am talking about!  Interesting...
Arioch wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 pm
The question of what Alex is experiencing will, of course, be explored further in the story.
"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.

:D
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Is it the Loroi "Gallen" or the "Soroin" caste that is closest analogue to the "Operations" department on U.S. Naval warships?  If I recall correctly, "Ops" people (usually enlisted) are the operators and technicians (Op/Techs) for communications, data processing, navigation, and sensor systems, and perform most of the manual work in a ship's combat information center (CIC) or combat direction center (CDC).

Obviously, Loroi command structure is different from that of the USN, but I was wondering what the equivalent of an Electronics Technician First Class (E6) would be in the Loroi fleet.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:12 pm
Is it the Loroi "Gallen" or the "Soroin" caste that is closest analogue to the "Operations" department on U.S. Naval warships?  If I recall correctly, "Ops" people (usually enlisted) are the operators and technicians (Op/Techs) for communications, data processing, navigation, and sensor systems, and perform most of the manual work in a ship's combat information center (CIC) or combat direction center (CDC).

Obviously, Loroi command structure is different from that of the USN, but I was wondering what the equivalent of an Electronics Technician First Class (E6) would be in the Loroi fleet.
Gallen are engineering personnel; they are not normally stationed on the bridge. Sometimes the Subsystems position is manned by a Gallen, but more often she's Soroin. The crewmen manning the bridge stations for communications, nav/helm, weapons and sensors are Soroin, Tenoin and Listel. The "Operations" (Seinen) position is the ship's second officer, in direct charge of the above positions. In the case of Tempest, Ops is Tenoin Seinen Forest.

https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/brid ... tated.html

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

So my Loroi equivalent would be stationed somewhere aft of the bridge, keeping the comm/sensor suites on-line and prepping the DC station for emergency use.

(During my last tour of duty, I was in charge of the “Repair 8” station.)

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:49 am
Because it's obvious you take great pains to make the Loroi alien and unique.. Tempo does not even show three fingers like Anericans do (three fingers), since Tempo counts her thumb and two fingers and that's good enough for her and too bad for you if you think it's two.
Tempo's version of THREE is also used in American Sign Language, since there the usual THREE is instead SIX. :D
Don't delay, join today!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

I remember that Loroi may well like everything cute and fluffy, like our cats, dogs and the same rabbits, for example. Well, not all, probably, but for someone like Beryl or Tempo quite.

So, actually the question: suppose people are able to reliably change their own genotype and phenotype in order to be able to get fully functional movable, well, for example, cat ears, at will.

How will Loroi generally react to a human male with movable lynx ears, for example? Functional, replacing the usual, and not just decoration, attached next to the usual, of course.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:58 pm
How will Loroi generally react to a human male with movable lynx ears, for example? Functional, replacing the usual, and not just decoration, attached next to the usual, of course.
I think the more important question might be what humans would think of such a thing. The answer is probably varied, but I suspect most people would find it disturbing at the very least. Just because a person likes cats doesn't mean that he or she wouldn't be... concerned... when confronted with a modified cat-human.

If we met aliens who had cat-like ears that would be one thing, but if a human modified his or herself in such a way, I think most people's concern would not be over the appearance of the additions themselves, but rather the question of what kind of person would do that sort of thing to his or herself. Maybe biology will become so pliant in the far future that such transformations are trivial and common, and won't raise an eyebrow, but I don't think they are in Loroi society and so Loroi would probably have a similar reaction as humans today.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

What is the strongest Unsheathed recorded in loroi history? How much could she push/lift telekinetically?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

How does Loroi education actually work? Will the teachers have one-on-one sessions with their pupils, telepathically transferring their knowledge, while making sure that it was understood properly? Or will they have a "lecture", where the lesson is broadcasted to a small group? Maybe a combination of both, if the teachers are trained to have multiple sanzai contacts at once. How many parallel conversations are actually possible?
Last edited by Cthulhu on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Perhaps this question has already been asked somewhere here, but now I cannot revise the whole thread.

How many ships were there in SG51 before the battle of Naam what Bellarmine saw?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:38 am
What is the strongest Unsheathed recorded in loroi history? How much could she push/lift telekinetically?
It would be in the general neightborhood of Fireblade's power level; she's probably not the all-time top, but close to it.
There are accounts from early Loroi history in the time before amplifiers that claimed some epic heroes had unamplified power exceeding even these levels, but those accounts may have been exaggerated in the retelling over millennia. Tempest, for example, is said to have had enough power to sink an island.
Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:11 am
How does Loroi education actually work? Will the teachers have one-on-one sessions with their pupils, telepathically transferring their knowledge, while making sure that it was understood properly? Or will they have a "lecture", where the lesson is broadcasted to a small group? Maybe a combination of both, if the teachers are trained to have multiple sanzai contacts at once. How many parallel conversations are actually possible?
It would work similar to our school system, with one or more teachers telepathically presenting a lesson to a room full of students, with the distinction that the telepathic information is more dense than verbal information, and the teacher can quickly poll the group to know whether each student understood the material, rather than relying completely on a student to raise a question. They also do a lot of hands-on "lab" work and usually provide some "office time" for one on one conferences as needed. Sanzai can be broadcast to any number of recipients within the sender's range.
Tamri wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:45 pm
How many ships were there in SG51 before the battle of Naam what Bellarmine saw?
The group before the battle had an additional 1xCW, 1xCA, 1xCLE, 4xDD, for a total of 35 ships. Essentially an additional full squadron. Not all of the ships were destroyed; some had to return to base because of damage.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

This is about Loroi and Umiak cusine.

If Gordon Ramsay toured both Loroi and Umiak restaurants for a Kitchen Nightmares episode, which species would he find more issues similar to human kitchen nightmares? My guess is the Loroi. I reckon the Umiak are likely immaculate in just about all they do... or at least they have everyone thinkibg that lol.

Besides weird Perrein cuisine. any other popular Loroi food? Or is it all too similar to human food?

Klingons have their gagh, Japanese have sushi, Chinese just deep fry everything and call it good lol.

What are popular Loroi foods? And would humans like or avoid them?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:37 pm
If Gordon Ramsay toured both Loroi and Umiak restaurants for a Kitchen Nightmares episode, which species would he find more issues similar to human kitchen nightmares? My guess is the Loroi. I reckon the Umiak are likely immaculate in just about all they do... or at least they have everyone thinkibg that lol.
Well, in a Perrein restaurant there is the real possibility that the ingredients may murder you. So there's that.
Bamax wrote:
Besides weird Perrein cuisine. any other popular Loroi food? Or is it all too similar to human food?
viewtopic.php?p=14377#p14377

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:28 am
… in a Perrein restaurant there is the real possibility that the ingredients may murder you…
Sort of like the Muppet Show’s Swedish Chef segments, but with lasguns, eh?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:28 am
Bamax wrote:
Well, in a Perrein restaurant there is the real possibility that the ingredients may murder you. So there's that.
Bamax wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=14377#p14377
If Loroi eat a lot of stuffed fried food then they either all have fast metabolisms or obese Loroi are a reality!

It would seem popular Loroi food is not exactly... umm gourmet.

Hopefully civilluans eat better, and I reckon males do.

Fun online story: The origin of American fried chicken.

I did not verify the trutfulness of this, but there is nothing preventing it and it seems likely.

During the slavery days Irish slavers in america noticed african slaves breaded their food a lot.

It was irish custom to deep fry.

Someone decided to combine the two concepts and fried chicken was born!

A positive out of a negative?

Awww... would have happened sooner or later even without slavery lol.