Page 198: Beated!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: Page 198: Beated!

Post by Werra »

Mk_C wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:52 pm
You were my brother, Werra! I loved you!
Shut up, mom. It's over.

@CrimsonFALKE
Just shy of 10 years, actually. You can check here. https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/update_history.html

Clockwork Ninja

Post by Clockwork Ninja »

IRL pilots will use the rudder of an aircraft to yaw back and forth a bit "wagging the tail" when in view of another plane, like waving to each other. This is sometimes done to indicate a problem when a radio is unavailable, or it can just be a friendly acknowledgement.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:06 pm
I wonder how many years we've been in chapter 2? Good to see the human win against the mighty Loroi in this game also yeah that is sound logic in this forever war.
Yes. I was thinking how clever Alex has been. Not only has he pumped them for information but by winning the game he has distracted them so they will likely forget he asked or won't think it important.

Is this the first time we really see why he was chosen for the mission?

Arent

Post by Arent »

Jagged wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 am
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:06 pm
I wonder how many years we've been in chapter 2? Good to see the human win against the mighty Loroi in this game also yeah that is sound logic in this forever war.
Yes. I was thinking how clever Alex has been. Not only has he pumped them for information but by winning the game he has distracted them so they will likely forget he asked or won't think it important.

I'm just assuming he is a clever guy & has the natural, master of orion derived, charismatic trait for humans :mrgreen:

Btw. was it ever said that humans in general are immune to the telepathy of the Loroi or is this a specific trait of Alex?

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Arent wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:22 am
Btw. was it ever said that humans in general are immune to the telepathy of the Loroi or is this a specific trait of Alex?
I think at this stage we can only guess.

But I am guessing there are other humans out here, with the ability :/

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Jagged wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 am

I don't think it's some big brain shit. Alex is not a spy trying to harvest classified intel - he's a guy in an alien and complicated predicament that he has very limited knowledge about, not to mention a diplomatic figure on a contact mission. It would be weird and suspicious if he was not constantly asking questions about everything around him, including such stuff as Historians and their involvement in the war. And it would be equally weird if the Loroi were for some reason unwilling to supply him with information that is literally common knowledge among them - Beryl and Tempo have never failed to exposit all over him so far. The only obstacles in that direction are getting shoved into a solitary and the Pocket Historian's warning.
Arent wrote:
Tempo says on page 66 that Tempest's Farseer couldn't pick up anything from Bellarmine until she started broadcasting greetings, while normally they should've seen her coming from many jumps away.

grixit

Post by grixit »

Heh. I think the pilots have been thinking of him as an unsophisticated yokel. The idea that he could use a psychological ploy, play the player as well as the game, to gain advantage through distraction, never occured to them.

grixit

Post by grixit »

Clockwork Ninja wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:41 am
IRL pilots will use the rudder of an aircraft to yaw back and forth a bit "wagging the tail" when in view of another plane, like waving to each other. This is sometimes done to indicate a problem when a radio is unavailable, or it can just be a friendly acknowledgement.
"They're waggleling!"

-- Battlestar Galactica (original series)

Arent

Post by Arent »

Mk_C wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 am
Arent wrote:
Tempo says on page 66 that Tempest's Farseer couldn't pick up anything from Bellarmine until she started broadcasting greetings, while normally they should've seen her coming from many jumps away.
Good point. So humans in general are immune. That's not one of their MoO traits.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arent wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:00 pm
GeoModder wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:45 am
Arent wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 am
I mean 'tail wag'? 'Cheater', 'Plunger'? She shouldn't insult someone in a language she doesn't know well :mrgreen:
Spiral is insulting her fellow Tenoin in Trade, you know.
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere she isn't good in Trade?
It was, by none other then her own bandmate Talon.
And vehemently denied by her.
Keep in mind that Tenoin must be well-versed enough in spoken language to keep up radio communication. And while the Loroi insults I've read sofar in the comic are more descriptive then those of human languages I know, I reckon that's a side-effect of Loroi being used to sanzai communication.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arent wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:11 pm
Good point. So humans in general are immune. That's not one of their MoO traits.
To be fair, this isn't a one-for-one by a long shot (even though Beryl, Tempo, and Fireblade are nearly identical to the Elerian Scientist, Spy, and Soldier respectively). The heavy implication is that humans are the template race for the Loroi, which might be a reason why Loroi can't read them. Most of the fics here hint at latent human telepathy that is unknown to us because we've either never had the occasion to use it or has, through force of evolution, been "dummied out" with regards to our ability to access it even though it still exists.

I personally think that humanity's telepathic blankness is a function of the similarity between human and Loroi brains in the same way that two radios broadcasting close to each other in frequency will interfere with each other's transmissions. Fireblade forged some sort of connection during Alex's interrogation, which is why she's able to bleed over (sometimes), but that's it.

Arent

Post by Arent »

orion1836 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:49 pm
Arent wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:11 pm
To be fair, this isn't a one-for-one by a long shot (even though Beryl, Tempo, and Fireblade are nearly identical to the Elerian Scientist, Spy, and Soldier respectively). The heavy implication is that humans are the template race for the Loroi, which might be a reason why Loroi can't read them. Most of the fics here hint at latent human telepathy that is unknown to us because we've either never had the occasion to use it or has, through force of evolution, been "dummied out" with regards to our ability to access it even though it still exists.

I personally think that humanity's telepathic blankness is a function of the similarity between human and Loroi brains in the same way that two radios broadcasting close to each other in frequency will interfere with each other's transmissions. Fireblade forged some sort of connection during Alex's interrogation, which is why she's able to bleed over (sometimes), but that's it.
Well, the story/Arioch will have to reveal that.

Since there seem to be powers bent on preventing contact between Loroi & Humans, I suspect there is more to it than just "differently evolved template".

If that were the case, contact to the Loroi would be unimportant & there would be no reason to actively prevent it.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

sunphoenix wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm
I think 'Tail-Wag' is meant to refer to wiggling, yes your posterior... very likely in a sexual enticement to gain the attention of a male.
'Seed-Head' is also a {ahem} potentially sexual connotation for oral sex with a male. 'Plunger'... there are so many mentally kinky sexual connotations to that as well.

...yes I'm from There, and we DO house calls.
Oh you naughty thing! ;) If it's true, those Loroi are as dirty as us humans.

While it's possible, 'Plunger' could also be referring to a pilot that plunges to the earth after getting shot out of the sky. Which is also losing... obviously.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Arent wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:18 pm

Since there seem to be powers bent on preventing contact between Loroi & Humans, I suspect there is more to it than just "differently evolved template".

If that were the case, contact to the Loroi would be unimportant & there would be no reason to actively prevent it.
Bellarmine was only shot after she hailed the others and made noise. That is a point against their strange attacker actively hunting human ships. Because then they would have expected the Bellarmine or caught her in an empty system.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Snoofman wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:22 am
sunphoenix wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm
I think 'Tail-Wag' is meant to refer to wiggling, yes your posterior... very likely in a sexual enticement to gain the attention of a male.
'Seed-Head' is also a {ahem} potentially sexual connotation for oral sex with a male. 'Plunger'... there are so many mentally kinky sexual connotations to that as well.

...yes I'm from There, and we DO house calls.
Oh you naughty thing! ;) If it's true, those Loroi are as dirty as us humans.

While it's possible, 'Plunger' could also be referring to a pilot that plunges to the earth after getting shot out of the sky. Which is also losing... obviously.
Still don't undertand why in a matriarchal society such epithets are a thing. In ours, a man who manages to entice and bring pleasure to women is admired and envied instead.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

There are no sexual connotations to any of these epithets... except in the minds of our human male readers. :D

"Seed-head" is akin to "pumpkin-head," a reference to Spiral's pastoral birthplace and ....questionable... sophistication level. "Naught but seeds rattling around in that skull."
"Tail-wag" is someone trying shamelessly to draw attention to herself.
"Plunger" is a device for unplugging toilets. Not sure why that one is confusing people.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Arioch wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:09 am
Not sure why that one is confusing people.
Because we are not Loroi, but Hunams.
Reading a comic.
On the InterWebs, which has been repurposed by us male Humans to be predominantly one thing.
Of course we do not assume that there might not be any sexual reference in this comic, when reading graphic stories published in our library of images.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arent

Post by Arent »

Werra wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:38 am
Arent wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:18 pm

Bellarmine was only shot after she hailed the others and made noise. That is a point against their strange attacker actively hunting human ships. Because then they would have expected the Bellarmine or caught her in an empty system.
That would require the unkown power to know that the humans were sending scouts.

Maybe someone was watching the clashes between Loroi and Umiak. And then, they noticed the presence of the Bellarmine.

But all that is idle speculation.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Arioch wrote:
There are no sexual connotations to any of these epithets... except in the minds of our human male readers. :D

"Seed-head" is akin to "pumpkin-head," a reference to Spiral's pastoral birthplace and ....questionable... sophistication level. "Naught but seeds rattling around in that skull."
"Plunger" is a device for unplugging toilets. Not sure why that one is confusing people.
I mean, Tail-Wag could still have that connotation, just depends on exactly how she's trying to draw attention to herself in said situation. Wagging her tail around would certainly draw the attention of males and possibly some females, if she does it the right way.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:

Oh my nice way to serve it up man. Although what would be some other insults say from tempo's planet?