Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread 
Author Message
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
entity2636 wrote:
I'm not a politician, but how about "this mess has been going on for, how long exactly? 25 years, for three of your generations? And remember, most of it is happening in our back yard, not yours. We find the amount of progress that has been made thus far... meager, and the effectiveness of your military leaders and intelligence department, how shall I put it, lacking."

And what do you expect this would accomplish, aside from insulting the Loroi?

_________________
Outsider


Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 am
Posts: 367
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
entity2636 wrote:
I'm not a politician, but how about "this mess has been going on for, how long exactly? 25 years, for three of your generations? And remember, most of it is happening in our back yard, not yours. We find the amount of progress that has been made thus far... meager, and the effectiveness of your military leaders and intelligence department, how shall I put it, lacking."

And what do you expect this would accomplish, aside from insulting the Loroi?


Maybe he's a masochist?


Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 am
Posts: 324
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
entity2636 wrote:
I'm not a politician, but how about "this mess has been going on for, how long exactly? 25 years, for three of your generations? And remember, most of it is happening in our back yard, not yours. We find the amount of progress that has been made thus far... meager, and the effectiveness of your military leaders and intelligence department, how shall I put it, lacking."

And what do you expect this would accomplish, aside from insulting the Loroi?


Heh.. Apparently I was misinterpreted or did not put it clearly enough. I meant it as a general idea, public opinion or opinion of a political party and not something one or a couple persons would or should openly say in the face of the Empress.

My initial question was, is it within the realm of possibility that there may exist such a party/corporation/group of individuals among the Neridi, that may be more upset about the current state of affairs than the rest and seek third party solutions to end the conflict, with certain benefits to themselves or the Neridi nation.

*EDIT*
In layman's terms, the general opinion among the readers is that the Historians are somehow involved in the so far successful Umiak invasion of Union space. I would like to ask, can it not be an "inside job".
*END EDIT*

If that is classified information relevant to future storytelling, I'm perfectly happy with that. If it is impossible or unrealistic for such a group to exist, I'm also perfectly fine with that, and will go on considering the Neridi as either spineless or, how to put it, "we have the Loroi protecting us, we don't care, as long as the military contracts are coming in".

@boldilocks - I dunno, maybe, if it involves blue space elf girls in uniforms :roll: :lol:


Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:18 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 2:10 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Taton mi Dshaneiro
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
I was reading the Insider and, that we know of, there are 3 confirmed sentient species using the Soia-Liron biochemistry. This got me thinking, are there any species (sentient or otherwise) using more exotic types of biochemistry in the known Outsider galaxy? Things like Dextro Amino Acids, Ammonia world dwellers, Carbosilicate structures, liquid methane swimmers...?

_________________
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."


Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 451
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
GabrielGABFonseca wrote:
I was reading the Insider and, that we know of, there are 3 confirmed sentient species using the Soia-Liron biochemistry. This got me thinking, are there any species (sentient or otherwise) using more exotic types of biochemistry in the known Outsider galaxy? Things like Dextro Amino Acids, Ammonia world dwellers, Carbosilicate structures, liquid methane swimmers...?


Speaking of that, what kind of biochemistry do the orgus work at?


Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:47 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Athens, Greece
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Quick question, is the Neridi symbol on their uniform just a Neridi head looking up and to the left?

_________________
My fan fics:

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)


Wed May 02, 2018 1:16 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Sweforce wrote:
Speaking of that, what kind of biochemistry do the orgus work at?

It's not related to the Soia-Liron biochemistry, but I don't have any more detail than that.

dragoongfa wrote:
Quick question, is the Neridi symbol on their uniform just a Neridi head looking up and to the left?

No, it's a more abstract symbol. But that's funny, now that you mention it.

_________________
Outsider


Wed May 02, 2018 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Posts: 19
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Jakelope13 wrote:
How much modification can a Umiak withstand? Are we talking ocular implants, prosthetic arms, maybe a built-in weapon, or Borg-level of modification, where the Umiak might as well be a machine with Umiak components grafted on in odd places?

The extreme example would be the hardtroopers, most of which are "full replacement cyborgs"; that is, the entire body except for brains and guts has been replaced with an armored combat chassis. Think along the lines of Robocop, Briareos from Appleseed, or the Dreadnoughts from Warhammer 40K. Some hardtroops look more like armored vehicles than Umiak.


I was catching up on backstory and setting, and now all I can think of are Umiak analogues of Adeptus Mechanicus Kataphron Battle Servitors from Warhammer 40K. Arioch, I noticed GURPS features fairly regularly as a method of cross-comparison, have you ever entertained what kind of unit profile various dramatic personae or Infantry (e.g., hardtroopers) would have? As much of a background as I have with that game, I tend to look to it for comparisons in understanding something’s relative power or strength.


Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:29 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:
I was catching up on backstory and setting, and now all I can think of are Umiak analogues of Adeptus Mechanicus Kataphron Battle Servitors from Warhammer 40K. Arioch, I noticed GURPS features fairly regularly as a method of cross-comparison, have you ever entertained what kind of unit profile various dramatic personae or Infantry (e.g., hardtroopers) would have? As much of a background as I have with that game, I tend to look to it for comparisons in understanding something’s relative power or strength.

I never did any workups for Umiak troops in GURPS. I had done some fiddling around with GURPS stats for armored troops for the progenitor story to Outsider (about a Human interstellar civil war), and I found that the Ultra Tech gear started to lose consistency around TL10; for example, in my notes the Infantry Combat armor had PD6 DR65, but the contemporary assault rifle only did 6d cr... which means it was effectively incapable of penetrating that armor, even when using armor piercing ammunition. That didn't sound to me like the offensive/defensive balance that I was looking for.

My books are currently in storage. I'd like to fish them out at some point and take a look at that again.

_________________
Outsider


Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Posts: 19
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:
I was catching up on backstory and setting, and now all I can think of are Umiak analogues of Adeptus Mechanicus Kataphron Battle Servitors from Warhammer 40K. Arioch, I noticed GURPS features fairly regularly as a method of cross-comparison, have you ever entertained what kind of unit profile various dramatic personae or Infantry (e.g., hardtroopers) would have? As much of a background as I have with that game, I tend to look to it for comparisons in understanding something’s relative power or strength.

I never did any workups for Umiak troops in GURPS. I had done some fiddling around with GURPS stats for armored troops for the progenitor story to Outsider (about a Human interstellar civil war), and I found that the Ultra Tech gear started to lose consistency around TL10; for example, in my notes the Infantry Combat armor had PD6 DR65, but the contemporary assault rifle only did 6d cr... which means it was effectively incapable of penetrating that armor, even when using armor piercing ammunition. That didn't sound to me like the offensive/defensive balance that I was looking for.

My books are currently in storage. I'd like to fish them out at some point and take a look at that again.


I realize in rereading my message that I omitted the part where I had meant to say “Warhammer 40K unit profiles.” I actually know very little about GURPS; my mistake!


Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:
I realize in rereading my message that I omitted the part where I had meant to say “Warhammer 40K unit profiles.” I actually know very little about GURPS; my mistake!

Ah, when you said "that game" I thought you meant GURPS.

As with all things Umiak, there is significant variety among the Hardtroops. Some would be roughly analogous to the Space Marine infantry, some to the heavy Terminators, and some to the Dreadnoughts. But those analogues only go so far; 40K is not what I would call a "realistic" tactical simulation.

_________________
Outsider


Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:21 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Posts: 19
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:
I realize in rereading my message that I omitted the part where I had meant to say “Warhammer 40K unit profiles.” I actually know very little about GURPS; my mistake!

Ah, when you said "that game" I thought you meant GURPS.

As with all things Umiak, there is significant variety among the Hardtroops. Some would be roughly analogous to the Space Marine infantry, some to the heavy Terminators, and some to the Dreadnoughts. But those analogues only go so far; 40K is not what I would call a "realistic" tactical simulation.


That is certainly true! Very much science fantasy. Thanks for the references; helps me understand them better.


Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:49 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 pm
Posts: 105
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch, could a Barsam win in melee combat against an Umiak ? And one Umiak against a Delrias ? What about a Barsam versus a Delrias ?


Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:27 am
Posts: 367
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Onaiom wrote:
Arioch, could a Barsam win in melee combat against an Umiak ? And one Umiak against a Delrias ? What about a Barsam versus a Delrias ?


Clearly you haven't heard the Barsam battle hymn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUTJ0klnKk


Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Onaiom wrote:
Arioch, could a Barsam win in melee combat against an Umiak ? And one Umiak against a Delrias ? What about a Barsam versus a Delrias ?

Assuming you mean unarmed hand-to-hand combat between individuals with equivalent preparation and training: Barsam are larger and heavier than Delrias, and are very tough with excellent endurance. Delrias are faster and have great strength in short bursts. If he can survive the initial onslaught, the odds favor the Barsam in a drawn-out fight.

The physical capabilities of Umiak vary widely due to gene tailoring and surgical and cybernetic alternations. A hypothetical "pure-strain" Umiak in a native 1/3 G environment is very fast, but without weaponry I would expect either a Barsam or Delrias to be able to take one down, if it can be got hold of. Such an Umiak individual would probably be easy pickings in a 1 G environment. Genetically modified Umiak soldiers raised for heavy gravity environments would probably give a better account of themselves, but they're slow and not really specialized for unarmed fighting, so I think the edge still goes to the Barsam or Delrias combatants.

An Umiak hardtrooper is an armored cyborg death machine, so it can't really be "unarmed." A weaponless Barsam or Delrias would have a very difficult time taking down one of these.

_________________
Outsider


Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 456
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
How does the Umiak stack handle changing participants in an ongoing discussion?


Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 251
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Onaiom wrote:
Arioch, could a Barsam win in melee combat against an Umiak ? And one Umiak against a Delrias ? What about a Barsam versus a Delrias ?

Assuming you mean unarmed hand-to-hand combat between individuals with equivalent preparation and training: Barsam are larger and heavier than Delrias, and are very tough with excellent endurance. Delrias are faster and have great strength in short bursts. If he can survive the initial onslaught, the odds favor the Barsam in a drawn-out fight.


Now the real question is. Will the loroi try to interrupt such a brawl or just stand back and shout "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT"?

_________________
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:11 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Werra wrote:
How does the Umiak stack handle changing participants in an ongoing discussion?

A polite speaker will refrain from using references that the new participants don't know, and (if necessary) explain what was being talked about. An impolite speaker may deliberately exclude new participants by using unfamiliar references. In a similar way to how pronouns or indirect references might need to be clarified in our own language for a new speaker ("which 'she' are you referring to?").

_________________
Outsider


Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:53 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 456
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
The Soia (and that other species) used gene modification to terraform ecosystems. Did they also shape the landscapes directly?

Is there a common stack in effect for Umiak if they haven't created their own in a chat with each other yet? Could Umiak exchange "posit-xs" to have polite smalltalk?


Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:14 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Werra wrote:
The Soia (and that other species) used gene modification to terraform ecosystems. Did they also shape the landscapes directly?

There is pretty clear evidence that there were some large-scale planetary engineering projects undertaken during the Dreiman era, including moving moons around, crashing comets into planets to beef up the atmosphere, and building gigantic spaceborne megaliths. There aren't many clear examples of this during the Soia era, though the boundary between the two eras is not always clear in some locations, and so it's not always possible to say with certainty whether a certain work near the transition date is Dreiman or Soia.

There are some who suggest that the Dreiman were actually just setting things up for the Soia, but others point out that many Dreiman projects were abandoned unfinished, or went almost entirely unused during the Soia era.

Werra wrote:
Is there a common stack in effect for Umiak if they haven't created their own in a chat with each other yet? Could Umiak exchange "posit-xs" to have polite smalltalk?

Although the stack can contain anything, it is most commonly used for proper nouns, in a similar way that we use pronouns. Common preset stacks of proper nouns probably wouldn't make much sense for most conversations. Familiar speakers might use agreed upon slang, references or code words, but I don't think this really integrates into the stack, since the order of the stack is specific to a conversation.

I can imagine that some Umiak might have sharp enough memories that they can keep a running conversation with another Umiak going over multiple discreet occasions, remembering the previous stack and adding new stack elements in the new occasion's conversation at the next highest stack number from the previous conversation (say, 22 instead of 1), and then make references to the previous conversation. But I think this would be confusing even for an Umiak.

Starting with a higher stack number would be one way for two Umiak to accommodate a third Umiak who joined an existing conversation, adding new stack elements at the current number, but declining to reference previous elements that were established before the new speaker entered the conversation, as that would be impolite.

_________________
Outsider


Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm
Posts: 456
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Arioch wrote:
Although the stack can contain anything, it is most commonly used for proper nouns, in a similar way that we use pronouns. Common preset stacks of proper nouns probably wouldn't make much sense for most conversations. Familiar speakers might use agreed upon slang, references or code words, but I don't think this really integrates into the stack, since the order of the stack is specific to a conversation.

Yes, any phrase common enough to be referred to in a universal stack should quickly turn into its own word.
But then again..."High Command", "Loroi", "Reporting for duty" could feasibly end up in such a species wide stack. I don't think only nouns would get absorbed. I mean...how many different phrases does one really use with total strangers?


Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:15 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 am
Posts: 15
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
What convinced the Orgus to go the way they did? They seemed to have gone way into the empty region; straight to the center. Was this part of a general plan to make the Umiak loose their scent and the Orgus would double back up-arm, or even onto Loroi space from the side? Or just a huge hope someone was out there/something like a planet to hide on?


Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:20 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
danuis wrote:
What convinced the Orgus to go the way they did? They seemed to have gone way into the empty region; straight to the center. Was this part of a general plan to make the Umiak loose their scent and the Orgus would double back up-arm, or even onto Loroi space from the side? Or just a huge hope someone was out there/something like a planet to hide on?

The Orgus vessel fled in the only direction open to it; once cut off from other known routes, the only option left was to try to follow the long path through the Great Wasteland to Union territory. It was a forlorn hope; they probably didn't have enough supplies to make it. Luckily, they stumbled across an alien outpost along the way.

_________________
Outsider


Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am
Posts: 168
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
Any chance we will see Kikitik-27 in the future? His style of speech is amazing.

_________________
Outsider in Russian
Image


Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 2951
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre
SVlad wrote:
Any chance we will see Kikitik-27 in the future? His style of speech is amazing.

Well, he made a point of saying his name, and other characters have talked about him several times now.

Odds that he has no further part in the story: 0.0%

_________________
Outsider


Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Luge and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.