Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Demarquis

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Demarquis »

"Not at all. A Loroi male is not any kind of physical threat to a female."

But Alex, and by extension other human males, can be, which I imagine has impacted the impression many Loroi have of him, and us.

sasaforestecho

Post by sasaforestecho »

There is meaning and significance related to how Loroi warriors present and wear their hair. Do male Loroi have something similar? Do they have traditions regarding their hair? I noticed in the concept drawings that were recently posted, all of the male Loroi depicted appeared to have short hair, which is why I have this question.
I couldn't find information on this anywhere, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough?
TLDR: What, if any traditions do male Loroi have regarding their hair?

An additional question: Arioch, what do baby Loroi look like?
Last edited by sasaforestecho on Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sasaforestecho wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:14 am
what, if any traditions do male Loroi have regarding their hair?
Styles vary by subculture and personal taste, but in general Loroi males wear their hair shorter than shoulder length. Long hair is considered a distinctive attribute of female warriors.
sasaforestecho wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:14 am
what do baby Loroi look like?
They're blue, of course, but otherwise don't look very different from human babies.

CNW

Post by CNW »

Are there any food items in human diet that for Loroi would..

a) be disgusting (anythink milk-related likely belongs here by default, as seen in the comic)
b) produce mind-altering effects (akin to caffeine, alcohol etc)
b) be toxic to them in "usual serving" size

Food items only, the more esoteric local stuff (durian, natto, surströmming..) may or may not qualify

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

There are plenty of human food items that I find disgusting, so I think that's more down to personal test. Loroi from, say, Perrein and Taben don't agree on what is or is not disgusting food.

Loroi don't currently have access to human food and aren't likely to get some anytime soon (the items they salvaged from the Bellarmine are reserved for Alex's consumption), so for the most part Loroi reactions to human food will be a "yet to be determined" issue. Given the Loroi constitution, I think it's unlikely that any food item that is not toxic to humans would be toxic to Loroi.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

I still want to see how a Loroi might react to sugar and caffeine. Coffee might be a very popular export to the Union later on.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:08 am
I still want to see how a Loroi might react to sugar and caffeine. Coffee might be a very popular export to the Union later on.
Sugar is really fundamental and universal hydrocarbon, and it's hard to imagine loroi biochemistry doesn't use it the same way we do. So sugar should be well known for loroi.

As for caffeine - it's properties for humans defined not by the element, but by human's biochemistry characteristics. so results for loroi may vary from no effects at all to neurotoxin chemical warfare. The latter is unlikely, as in that case Beryl would have mentioned such dangerous fact as chemical warfare in human rations.
Outsider in Russian

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"Sugar is really fundamental and universal hydrocarbon"

Is it really?

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Demarquis wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:25 am

Is it really?
It's used by almost all known life in the universe. Except for the Zetans, they use Nutrasweet.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Demarquis wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:25 am

Is it really?
Yes. Proof link
Outsider in Russian

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"ProoflinK"

That's so cool.

"It's used by almost all known life in the universe. Except for the Zetans, they use Nutrasweet."

These people must die...

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Due to my inane hope that a certain favorite somehow survives... I wanted to know if a Loroi loses consciousness (knocked out from physical or electric trauma) do they register as invisible to sanzai? Meaning Loroi cannot detect the sleeping Loroi with telepathy so it would otherwise seem like they were dead?

Or... is it so that even in a deep sleep without dreams awake Loroi can still sense the minds of sleeping living Loroi?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The brain of a sleeping or unconscious person is still functioning. A sleeping Loroi brain is still detectable via telepathy, and can still be interacted with to a certain degree (depending on how deeply the target brain is asleep or unconscious/drugged/etc.). It is possible to ask a sleeping Loroi questions telepathically and perhaps get an answer... though you can also do this with humans, sometimes.

The telepathic signature disappears when the brain stops functioning altogether, either because of damage, or some kind of stasis.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

So maybe instead of "I'm watching you", Fireblade was gesturing "I saw you." He just misinterprets her RBF.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Or maybe, "The next time I catch you in my dreams, I'm poking your eyes out."

Gosh, inter-cultural communication can be somewhat ambiguous.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

She could just use his red marker to write a message. Chekov's space pen.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Has Taben always been a warrior culture? Or were some of their current customs imposed upon them by the Deinar Loroi after Taben was absorbed into the Loroi Alliance? Like the Warrior Trials and Rites of Passage. If so, wouldn't that mean that the Tabens did not particularly care so much about a Loroi's warrior heritage before being indoctrinated by Imperial Deinar dogma?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:08 am
Has Taben always been a warrior culture? Or were some of their current customs imposed upon them by the Deinar Loroi after Taben was absorbed into the Loroi Alliance? Like the Warrior Trials and Rites of Passage. If so, wouldn't that mean that the Tabens did not particularly care so much about a Loroi's warrior heritage before being indoctrinated by Imperial Deinar dogma?
Taben doesn't have a single culture, and some of the subcultures in the southern islands are less martial than is typical for Loroi, but Beleri (where Talon is from) has a seafaring culture that has always been particularly warlike. Their nautical version of the diral is a deeply ingrained tradition that predates reunification.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

It seems to have been established that the loroi are a society with no secrets… apparently. But does that mean loroi are incapable of keeping secrets while sending via sanzai? Are there any skilled telepaths that can send truthfully while concealing sensitive information?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:14 am
It seems to have been established that the loroi are a society with no secrets… apparently. But does that mean loroi are incapable of keeping secrets while sending via sanzai? Are there any skilled telepaths that can send truthfully while concealing sensitive information?
A telepath can refuse to answer a telepathic question, but a more skilled (or more powerful) telepath can sometimes get an answer anyway through a variety of different methods. So, it's a lot easier for a person in authority to answer "no comment" to a public question than it is for a person to refuse to answer a question from a higher authority.

The most effective way to conceal information is to answer truthfully but misleadingly. This is difficult, but it's easier than lying outright.

Lying telepathically is also possible, but very difficult.