Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:08 am
Is there any background about this race? Are they actually related to the comic, maybe something like a precursor story?
I'm not sure what "race" you're referring to.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:20 pm
I mean the race of the character in that character sheet, or is that a Human? Her eyes and clothing style give me a strong Loroi vibe, therefore I thought that this "Second Six" storyline might have been a (spiritual) precursor to Outsider.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:10 pm
Arioch wrote:
I mean the race of the character in that character sheet, or is that a Human? Her eyes and clothing style give me a strong Loroi vibe, therefore I thought that this "Second Six" storyline might have been a (spiritual) precursor to Outsider.
Arioch has a certain style that is easy to recognize.  I saw one of his first characters in a role-playing game manual from the late 1990s, and immediately recognized the same artist more than 20 years later when I found this website.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:10 pm
Arioch wrote:
No, it's a completely different (fantasy) setting. All the characters are human... well, differing degrees of human.
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:50 pm
I saw one of his first characters in a role-playing game manual from the late 1990s, and immediately recognized the same artist more than 20 years later when I found this website.
If you're referring to BESM, I believe one of those illustrations was of the very same character in question.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

I am referring to This One.

I think he is referring to This Other One.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Just curious how the ruling Loroi administration views and handles alien refugees/migrants?

Due to the interstellar war. I reckon such does occur.

Do Loroi worlds allow alien refugees to live among civillian Loroi?

Or do they prefer to throw alien migrants and refugees at the Barsam instead of letting them live among Loroi?

My guesses:

1. Loroi are ok with it. But they likely do heavy monitoring via telepathy. If an alien checks out as not a threat they ease up. Otherwise they may soon have a Mizol shadowing them. It is to the Loroi advantage to learn all they can about aliens living among them. Speaking of which. Loroi would be a marketing executive's dream. A Loroi TRULY knows what a customer wants before they ask.

Makes me think Loroi customer service to aliens should be outstandingly good.

2. Privacy? What privacy? Until Loroi actually trust an alien living among thrm they would likely use telepathy in a way that more or less forrces an alien who is susceptible to Loroi telepathy to be honest. The result?

An alien born and raised among Loroi who is not human and thus vulnerable to Loroi mind reading is having a bad day. A Loroi notices and asks, "What's wrong?,"

"Nothing."

The Loroi gives a knowing look, "Who is it?"

"I don't wanna talk about it!"

"Oh wow! Me? That's flattering but... you're not..."

"I know I know... I'm not Loroi... I'm ugly. I'm..."

"I did not say you were ugly!"

"But you thought it!"

"Why don't you look for one of your own kind?"

"Hello? Not many of us. Also I am used to Loroi."

Meanwhile the Loroi is thinking hard about arranging a way to set him up with one of his own kind.

Question 2: Do alien non-human/Loroi romantic relationships occur? Even if rare?

Likely would result in said Loroi becoming an outcast, forced to live among aliens rather than her own kind.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:56 am
Just curious how the ruling Loroi administration views and handles alien refugees/migrants?
Due to the interstellar war. I reckon such does occur.
Do Loroi worlds allow alien refugees to live among civillian Loroi?
Or do they prefer to throw alien migrants and refugees at the Barsam instead of letting them live among Loroi?
The Umiak advance early in the war created a lot of displacement of refugees, but they were mostly Loroi and Neridi who were Union citizens. Refugees would usually be held at the frontier in the ships they arrived in (or in the space stations if that wasn't practical) until they could be processed. Citizens who had a specific destination in mind (having residence or family or friends there) would be allowed to continue on after clearing security checks. Refugees who had been made homeless would be held in temporary shelters until longer-term accommodations could be made for them, mostly in the Neridi-controlled areas, as at the time the Umiak were advancing rapidly through the Seren corridor.

There would have been very few non-Union refugees, mostly merchants who had been caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. There were also a few members of Hierarchy races, who were taken prisoner and held in secure locations.

The rules for where refugees can live depends on whether they were Loroi or Neridi (as each government is responsible for its own citizens) and what the rules are on the particular world that they were settling on. Some worlds have restrictions about where aliens can live and work (such as in clearly defined trade districts), and some don't. In the case of the influx of refugees from the Steppes collapse, most of the homeless refugees were temporarily settled on Loroi or Neridi colony worlds on which there were few restrictions. The majority of colonies in the Steppes have residents of multiple different Union races, so this was not unusual.

When it comes to refugees from the Steppes worlds that were recaptured from the Hierarchy, they are mostly kept in place or transferred to secure locations. The Umiak used refugees for a variety of covert and sabotage purposes, so at least for the immediate future, anyone who was on a planet under Hierarchy control is carefully monitored as a security risk.
Bamax wrote:
Question 2: Do alien non-human/Loroi romantic relationships occur? Even if rare?
They are not common, as Loroi are not very sexually compatible with the aliens they interact with (Barsam don't have genitalia, and Neridi sex is... complicated). Also, Loroi don't usually form "romantic relationships" even with other Loroi; they're not monogamous. But there is always deviation from the norm, and so any culture with billions of individuals will probably have individuals who have tried almost anything you can think of.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:23 am
… Also, Loroi don't usually form "romantic relationships" even with other Loroi; they're not monogamous. But there is always deviation from the norm, and so any culture with billions of individuals will probably have individuals who have tried almost anything you can think of.
Bow chicka honk honk! ;)

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Are there any famous/legendary loroi who were noted for having only normal psychic abilities? How important are psychic abilities for advancement?

Do the different castes have stereotypes about their behavior?

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Bamax wrote:
Speaking of which. Loroi would be a marketing executive's dream. A Loroi TRULY knows what a customer wants before they ask.
Marketing isn't about finding out what people want; marketing is about finding how to make people want what you're selling. Think back about all these fads of yesteryears, all the crazes come and gone...

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Still... Loroi abilities could easily lead to them manipulating those vulnerable to telepathy, and given what we know, it must occur enough to warrant the Historians actively avoiding them.

I reckon if the Loroi knew what the historians knew that they keep secret from them, they would no longer be considered allies.

I also reckon that whatever lotai the umiak figured out was probably the end development of a mix of Loroi and historian findings that they put to use.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

inxsi wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:33 pm
Are there any famous/legendary loroi who were noted for having only normal psychic abilities? How important are psychic abilities for advancement?
Being a powerful telepath can be a significant advantage in interpersonal politics, but whether it's an advantage in your job depends on what your job is. As an Unsheathed, powerful abilities are a requirement for excellence. Stillstorm has higher than normal telepathy power, but that hasn't got much to do with her fame as a group commander. Especially in wartime, it is deeds rather than pedigree which earn acclaim.
inxsi wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:33 pm
Do the different castes have stereotypes about their behavior?
I would imagine so... they'd probably be fairly obvious (Listel are nerds, Mizol can't be trusted, Unsheathed are aloof and haughty, etc.).

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Just curious, I am aware that Loroi use inertial dampeners, so that surely effects how spaceships maneuver in space.

What I wanted to know is, do spaceships fly newtonian style? Airplane style? Or both? As in elite dangerous?

The main difference being no upper speed limit cap until lightspeed, even though all vessels would run out of fuel ling before that.

Also, unless I am missing something in their fictional tech, airplane maneuvering in space would cost a bit more fuel than simple newtonian maneuvers.

According to players (I don't play as it steals too much time):

Flight assist equals airplanes in space, but newtonian equals flight assist off.

Most effective way to fly in combat is a combination of FA-ON and FA-OFF.

Maintaining high speed and good time on target can only be achieved with FA-OFF.

Deceleration and range control is improved with FA-ON.

I usually fly 90% OFF and 10% ON.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:41 am
Just curious, I am aware that Loroi use inertial dampeners, so that surely effects how spaceships maneuver in space.

What I wanted to know is, do spaceships fly newtonian style? Airplane style? Or both? As in elite dangerous?
Spacecraft in Outsider move like spacecraft, not like airplanes. That why spacecraft are rated by their acceleration capability, not their speed.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:18 am
Bamax wrote:

Spacecraft in Outsider move like spacecraft, not like airplanes. That why spacecraft are rated by their acceleration capability, not their speed.
In space, a combat vessel can easily execute the "Crazy Ivan" maneuver, bringing a spinal-mount ordnance to bear on-target, while still making a "Tactical Withdrawal".

Aircraft cannot do this.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:10 pm
Arioch wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:18 am
Bamax wrote:

In space, a combat vessel can easily execute the "Crazy Ivan" maneuver, bringing a spinal-mount ordnance to bear on-target, while still making a "Tactical Withdrawal".

Aircraft cannot do this.
Aircraft could actually be designed to do this with small rocket motor RCS.

Reason why they do not is extra weight hinders mobilty, and who cares if you can do a crazy Ivan in the atmosphere?

Missiles will still gut an aircraft, making a crazy ivan non-optimal or even suicidal.

The difference with space combat is combat range is so far that you can take your swee time doing a crazy ivan.

And there is no air resistance. Try a crazy ivan with an aircraft using rocket motors and you would have to fight losing control of the aircraft in a tumble.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

The only aircraft I have ever seen execute anything like a "Crazy Ivan" maneuver were helicopters and VTOL craft; even then, the maneuver was more to reduce forward velocity for a landing than to bring guns to bear.

It is one of the things that annoys me about cinematic space combat scenes.  The pilots in BSG (either version) never seemed to pull out ahead of their cylon pursuers, spin around, and slag 'em.  No, instead they had to bank, turn, do immelmanns and barrel-rolls in a vain effort to shake their pursuers off their tails, only to have some hero get off a lucky hot from the sidelines and save the day.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:34 pm
The only aircraft I have ever seen execute anything like a "Crazy Ivan" maneuver were helicopters and VTOL craft; even then, the maneuver was more to reduce forward velocity for a landing than to bring guns to bear.

It is one of the things that annoys me about cinematic space combat scenes.  The pilots in BSG (either version) never seemed to pull out ahead of their cylon pursuers, spin around, and slag 'em.  No, instead they had to bank, turn, do immelmanns and barrel-rolls in a vain effort to shake their pursuers off their tails, only to have some hero get off a lucky hot from the sidelines and save the day.

Babylon 5.

All I can say.

Did it right and it was an older show.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yes the B5 Star Fury was a really cool space fighter design, both from an aesthetic and a practical operation point of view.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Yes... was even considered to be made IRL I read online once by NASA. Non-armed of course.

What stopped them? Likely the lack of a need for such maneuverability in the first place. We are not at war in space. And neither would manned spacefighters be practical with our level of space tech now.

Unless you can pull off high g burns Loroi style in excess... chances are a space fighter cannot dodge for long before either running out of fuel or getting one-shotted or mission killed via a disabling shot.