Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:13 am
There's nothing that precludes a Loroi male from secretly being a caped crimefighter... he's just not going to be fighting Umiak. Batman is a crimefighter, not a soldier.
I am vengeance. I am the night. I... am... Batdisibo!

Werra

Post by Werra »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 pm
If he tried to start telling the Loroi leadership how to run the war, this would depend on whether he could convince a highly ranked female to bring his proposals to the attention of the right people. But I would consider that highly unlikely. Any high-ranking officer who was perceived to be the puppet of a male would not keep her high rank for very long.
That's what you'd expect to happen. But would you tell Greywind that she's simping?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:35 am
Arioch wrote:
If he tried to start telling the Loroi leadership how to run the war, this would depend on whether he could convince a highly ranked female to bring his proposals to the attention of the right people. But I would consider that highly unlikely. Any high-ranking officer who was perceived to be the puppet of a male would not keep her high rank for very long.
That's what you'd expect to happen. But would you tell Greywind that she's simping?
No, but if you were an opponent of Greywind, that would be a very useful thing to tell everyone else.

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

Is Alex close enough to a Loroi male to enact instinctual and learned responses from the Loroi females, like wanting to protect him?
Arioch wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am
Werra wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:35 am
Arioch wrote:
No, but if you were an opponent of Greywind, that would be a very useful thing to tell everyone else.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

To MBehave, I think the loroi are sensible enough not to allow Alex near a loroi male if they suspect that Alex's presence/actions are potentially hazardous. However, if they do allow Alex near a loroi male, I suspect that they might get defensive if Alex touches that male.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Reading the database reveals a lot that is yet to be seen...yet hinted at with subtlety which Arioch enjoys doing.

Tempo is also a PK, and arguably more dangerous yhan Fireblade. The difference between them is precision. Yes Fireblade has a lot more raw power, enough to throw heavy stuff across the room, but she lacks precision. Tempo can manipulate a kilogram very precisely, enough to rearrange items on your table while you are not looking. Does not require line of sight, only the abiliy to visualize what and where you want what you are manopulating to go. Thanks to the telepathy all Loroi have, Tempo can even home in on a person without seeing them or hearing them up to a 100 meters....at least with non'humans.

So Tempo is downright scary. If you pulled a gun on her she could move your fingers so that you dropped it, or if the gun weighed a kilogram or less she could pull a Darth Vader vs Han Solo trick by pulling it out his hand with PK and going further, shooting him using PK with the same gun.

She does not even need a gun, she could crush his heart, or induce a stroke, or crush part of their brain. PK allows for heating or cooling as well, so Tempo can boil a kilogram of water or less without any aid using PK. Ponder how she could use thay against any enemy of flesh and blood amd it makes you really not want to be her enemy.

So while Fireblade my catch your clothes on fire and throw you into the air or a break a wall, she lacks the stealthiness and precision Tempo has.

I remeber that panel where Alex was holding the Seii bone knife as he chatted about 'Dalid is Dalid' with Talon and Spiral. If you look in the backgroumd Tempo is watching at a distance with an angry look on her face. Some here suggested that she thought Alex should not be given a potential weapon as they don't trust him.

I think it goes further than that, she was thinking, 'Just try to hurt them Alex, I will stop you. That weighs waaay less tham a kilogram! But I should not even have to do this! Naive and lusty girls' fault!'

Talon would reply. 'He won't hurt us, he just wants to get to know his fellow pilots better. You would not understand.'

'Please think with your head, not your sex.'

'Easy for you to say, you're no virgin.'

'Yeah.yeah, just stay awake okay?'

Incinerator

Post by Incinerator »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:34 pm
So Tempo is downright scary. If you pulled a gun on her she could move your fingers so that you dropped it, or if the gun weighed a kilogram or less she could pull a Darth Vader vs Han Solo trick by pulling it out his hand with PK and going further, shooting him using PK with the same gun.
Just as a note, the vast majority of modern small arms weigh more than 1kg when loaded. Exceptions tend to fit entirely within the category of compact handguns. Arioch has mentioned in the Terran questions thread that the TCA still use chemical propellants for their small arms, so they likely won't be much different from what we're using today. Probably heavier if they're using Lawgiver-style special effect selectors. Loroi small arms probably won't be any lighter, with them largely needing a power source.

So, no wrenching a gun out of somebody's hands from a distance, especially if the wielder were holding it properly. I don't think trying to pry open the wielder's fingers to drop the gun would work either; a brief Google search finds that the average human adult male has a grip strength of around 45 kg of force. Forcing them to miss by pushing the gun barrel in random directions might work, though.

On that note, it really bugs me that the Loroi small arms don't appear to have any sort of iron sights on them. Do they have some sort of projected holographic sights we haven't seen yet, are Loroi just really great point shooters, or do they have some kind of psionic ability that lets them aim their guns without weapon sights?

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:09 am
4. Given how restricted males are, I would think it most efficient not to even give real names and just enjoy a female's time and send her on her way. Is that perhaps one of the reasons why all the Loroi seem to use nicknames? Beryl is not her real name, it is Ellis, and Spiral's real name is Nonnos, and Talon's real name starts with an A.
My understanding (and I think this is confirmed here by Arioch is that all of English names we have for the loroi are the English translation of the name they give in Trade (and it looks like that matches up in the lexicon). There is an interesting discussion on how people read it a little earlier in that thread.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Incinerator wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:24 pm
Bamax wrote:
Just as a note, the vast majority of modern small arms weigh more than 1kg when loaded. Exceptions tend to fit entirely within the category of compact handguns. Arioch has mentioned in the Terran questions thread that the TCA still use chemical propellants for their small arms, so they likely won't be much different from what we're using today. Probably heavier if they're using Lawgiver-style special effect selectors. Loroi small arms probably won't be any lighter, with them largely needing a power source.

So, no wrenching a gun out of somebody's hands from a distance, especially if the wielder were holding it properly. I don't think trying to pry open the wielder's fingers to drop the gun would work either; a brief Google search finds that the average human adult male has a grip strength of around 45 kg of force. Forcing them to miss by pushing the gun barrel in random directions might work, though.

On that note, it really bugs me that the Loroi small arms don't appear to have any sort of iron sights on them. Do they have some sort of projected holographic sights we haven't seen yet, are Loroi just really great point shooters, or do they have some kind of psionic ability that lets them aim their guns without weapon sights?
Fingers weigh less than a kilogram, and Tempo has slyly never even mentioned that she has powers to Alex. She no doubt is the same way to others. They have no clue why they get a headache while doing face to face negotiations when arguing with Loroi Mizols. No one would expect that. Even if you arer right, Tempo could do plenty of other things to their eyes or induce a stroke by frerzing parts of a gunman's brain. For that matter she could freeze their trigger finger so he cannot shoot without using another and oops! She froze that one too!

Must do wonders for face to to face negotiations when Tempo can literally boil your brain as she speaks with you.

No wonder people are afraid of the Loroi! On Earth people would classify Tempo as a witch based on her powers alone, while Fireblade would be considered a superhero as her powers are more obvious.

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

Weigh less are each of your fingers is more then capable of resisting a kg of force alone... now if she can refine that force into a knive thin edge she can chop your fingers and bone easily enough but 1kg of force is not enough to move your fingers off a weapon.
Bamax wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:19 pm
Incinerator wrote:
Bamax wrote:

Fingers weigh less than a kilogram, and Tempo has slyly never even mentioned that she has powers to Alex. She no doubt is the same way to others. They have no clue why they get a headache while doing face to face negotiations when arguing with Loroi Mizols. No one would expect that. Even if you arer right, Tempo could do plenty of other things to their eyes or induce a stroke by frerzing parts of a gunman's brain. For that matter she could freeze their trigger finger so he cannot shoot without using another and oops! She froze that one too!

Must do wonders for face to to face negotiations when Tempo can literally boil your brain as she speaks with you.

No wonder people are afraid of the Loroi! On Earth people would classify Tempo as a witch based on her powers alone, while Fireblade would be considered a superhero as her powers are more obvious.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

MBehave wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:17 pm
Weigh less are each of your fingers is more then capable of resisting a kg of force alone... now if she can refine that force into a knive thin edge she can chop your fingers and bone easily enough but 1kg of force is not enough to move your fingers off a weapon.
Bamax wrote:
Incinerator wrote:

That is true, it is just that the gunman would not expect any of that. Nor would he know where the force is coming from. She could make him feel a tap on the shoulder, then when he turns around, run away smirking.

I would actually enjoy having Mizol powers, since they are just good enough to use with potency while retaining anonymity.

If I could do that then anytime I dislike music that a coworker was playing I could simply overheat their device and they would be none the wiser, since I would be 20 feet way so no one would suspect me anyway LOL.
:roll:

I would expect a tactical squad team of six, three Teidar and three Mizol, rare as they are, to be potent enough to defeat known non-powered or low powered comic superheroes...like Batman. Ones like Spiderman they could likely only defeat by boiling or freezing him solid outright. Easily done by the way with multiple Teidar who are proficient enough to do more than throw or smash stuff.

Mainly via surprise attack since Loroi are still like glass cannons and do not have durability beyond a human.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Any idea what color unoxygenated loroi blood would be? And is it likely to have any impact on the coloration of a loroi (I assume it would on paler skinned loroi like Tempo or Beryl, and probably not on Fireblade)?

EDIT: Do any of the loroi worlds have eclipses (either solar or lunar)? I assume so, since there is a Trade word for it in the lexicon.
Last edited by inxsi on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

inxsi wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:00 pm
Any idea what color unoxygenated loroi blood would be? And is it likely to have any impact on the coloration of a loroi (I assume it would on paler skinned loroi like Tempo or Beryl, and probably not on Fireblade)?

Loroi blood is iron rich as human blood is, but human blood is red due to the iron.

Loroi blood must have an added ingredient that gives it the blue color.

There is no answer unless the author wishes to reveal it, but I doubt such minutia will come up in the plot.

I can tell you that cooking purple cabbage turns the juice blue, but that does not help you.

Suffice to say though that a single color can change based on conditions.

Example? Human blood that has dried looks like orange rust stains....due to iron again.

If we follow the same pattern for Loroi then dried Loroi blood would leave....purple stains?

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Bamax wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:24 pm
MBehave wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:17 pm
Bamax wrote:

That is true, it is just that the gunman would not expect any of that. Nor would he know where the force is coming from. She could make him feel a tap on the shoulder, then when he turns around, run away smirking.

I would actually enjoy having Mizol powers, since they are just good enough to use with potency while retaining anonymity.

If I could do that then anytime I dislike music that a coworker was playing I could simply overheat their device and they would be none the wiser, since I would be 20 feet way so no one would suspect me anyway LOL.
:roll:

I would expect a tactical squad team of six, three Teidar and three Mizol, rare as they are, to be potent enough to defeat known non-powered or low powered comic superheroes...like Batman. Ones like Spiderman they could likely only defeat by boiling or freezing him solid outright. Easily done by the way with multiple Teidar who are proficient enough to do more than throw or smash stuff.

Mainly via surprise attack since Loroi are still like glass cannons and do not have durability beyond a human.
Even with Teidar of Fireblade's caliber, that still isn't enough raw strength to get past Spidey's durability or strength. His insides are just as strong as his outsides and he's far faster. Spiderman wouldn't be a fair fight, but with most heroes, but it's either curbstomping the likes of Batman and Captain America, or getting stomped by Superman or Thor.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

inxsi wrote:
Loroi blood is blue because it uses a different compound than the hemoglobin in Earth mammal blood. Hemoglobin gets brighter red when oxygenated, but that's not necessarily the case for whatever compound used in Loroi blood.

Loroi skin color is partly due to blood, which is bright blue, and partly due to skin pigment, which is more of a blue-gray. Darker-skinned Loroi from sunny regions are more of a desaturated blue, and lighter-skinned Loroi from dark regions are a paler but more saturated blue.

inxsi wrote:
Do any of the loroi worlds have eclipses (either solar or lunar)? I assume so, since there is a Trade word for it in the lexicon.
Any planet with moons will experience eclipses. Deinar and Maia have moons.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

How strenuous is the use of psi powers by Loroi? I figure that telepathy is like speaking - you can do it nearly all day with minor pauses, but those who can use telekinesis or pyrokinesis - that is likely something that requires more 'hmphs', right? Would it also possibly be like comparing a normal joe in a fist fight who will run out of steam pretty quickly vs a pro athlete that can do several rounds of fighting?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:11 pm
How strenuous is the use of psi powers by Loroi? I figure that telepathy is like speaking - you can do it nearly all day with minor pauses, but those who can use telekinesis or pyrokinesis - that is likely something that requires more 'hmphs', right? Would it also possibly be like comparing a normal joe in a fist fight who will run out of steam pretty quickly vs a pro athlete that can do several rounds of fighting?
Some use of psi powers is fatiguing for the user. Mostly in terms of concentration and mental fatigue, but also to a certain extent in terms of physical exertion.

In GURPS, most psi powers take one second of concentration to activate and cost the user one point of fatigue (the average human has 10 fatigue). I don't think most abilities require quite that much exertion (normal telepathy is similar in exertion to just talking), but attempting difficult tasks which require high skill or extra power will, I think, quickly fatigue the user.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Bamax wrote:
She does not even need a gun, she could crush his heart, or induce a stroke, or crush part of their brain. PK allows for heating or cooling as well, so Tempo can boil a kilogram of water or less without any aid using PK. Ponder how she could use thay against any enemy of flesh and blood amd it makes you really not want to be her enemy.
Or give a little shove to the endolymph in the inner ear. You won't even need a whole gram of TK to do that. Just a lot of precision.

Every child has toyed with this: spin round and round until you get dizzy and can't stand up anymore. That's due to building rotational inertia until your inner ear and your eyes disagree with where "up" and "down" are. Now just imagine getting instantly dizzy, without warning. Your own reflexes to right yourself up will cause you to fall before you can even consciously process what's happening.

And yeah we can assume the Loroi have the same setup, their shape is nearly exactly human, they just have differences in biochemistry.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

gaerzi wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:42 am
Bamax wrote:
Or give a little shove to the endolymph in the inner ear. You won't even need a whole gram of TK to do that. Just a lot of precision.

Every child has toyed with this: spin round and round until you get dizzy and can't stand up anymore. That's due to building rotational inertia until your inner ear and your eyes disagree with where "up" and "down" are. Now just imagine getting instantly dizzy, without warning. Your own reflexes to right yourself up will cause you to fall before you can even consciously process what's happening.

And yeah we can assume the Loroi have the same setup, their shape is nearly exactly human, they just have differences in biochemistry.
And this is why those with knowledge of how anatomy works are the most dangerous, powers or no powers.

Because anatomy is physics, and physics is unforgiving. Also non-negotiable.

Won't matter if it's Mike Tyson in a boxing ring VS Tempo if she makes him so dizzy she knocks him out with relative ease.

It would be embarassing for Tyson to be knocked out by a space elf, but the fact is....Tempo could do it LOL.

Funny how simple but broad range powers have so many uses that actually make them uber.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

How do Loroi females, especially high-ranking ones or those working with the Intelligence Community and handle sensitive information, conceal their secrets when copulating with males? If physical contact amplifies the telepathic link, wouldn't that make keeping secrets harder? Unless females can enjoy themselves without giving anything away. Or are males bound by a strict code never to reveal what happens in the bedroom? Kind of like the way therapists and lawyers are bound by oaths not to reveal information about their clients.