Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ShadowDragon8685

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Sweforce wrote:I came to think about the stuff the salvage crew found the Bellarmine wreckage. This could be a source of alternate clothing for Alex, things like clean underwear and whatever he need to wear when his uniform are washed. Maybe they could even have found a dress uniform or two for use on official occasions. They also ranked him up to captain so rank insignia could also be added that way.
They probably would have been busier looking for survivors and remains, electronics and possibly physical transcription media (IE, notebooks) that may have survived the destruction of the ship. Looting the clothes would have been a pretty low priority, I would think; food stores would have been a higher priority, I would think, if only because they had one survivor and the only things they could be guaranteed they could feed him would be his own rations.

Clothing him is nearly trivial by comparison. The Loroi have clothiers and clearly they're good ones, so it wouldn't even be too difficult to get duplicate uniforms made, or even have him work with a tailor to recreate a dress uniform if required. Getting any kind of utilitarian garb for him would be absurdly simple by design; that kind of thing is almost certainly fabricated to-fit by machines, and in body structure he's pretty much identical to a Loroi male, so it's just a matter of plugging in his measurements. The absolute worst case scenario would be if their fabbers are too smart for their own good and refuse to believe a Loroi male could grow to his size, necessitating a software engineer take an electronic crowbar to its brains to unlock whatever stupidity subroutine is making it declare Alex's measurements "out of bounds."

Which would be, well, weird. I mean, the Loroi may have a tighter set of averages than humans, but they still have statistical outliers. (I still want to see a Loroi woman grown to such stature she looks like she'd be more at home with an axe and a giant shield sailing a longboat than a spaceship.)

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Inb4 all clothing materials known to loroi cause horrendous allergic reactions in humans. :P
Don't delay, join today!

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Either that or are edible, especially after worn by a female that lets out a smoky vanilla flavor onto them.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

If Christianity can deal with having Easter be about a rabbit that hides chocolate eggs around in the grass, and Christmas be about a jolly old fat guy in a red suit flying around with magic reindeer, well, I get the feeling any discovery of aliens will probably lead to some silly and possibly unpredictable changes.
I dont know Christianity likes to claim halloween as a pagan holiday when its actually christian.
Sweforce wrote:I came to think about the stuff the salvage crew found the Bellarmine wreckage. This could be a source of alternate clothing for Alex, things like clean underwear and whatever he need to wear when his uniform are washed. Maybe they could even have found a dress uniform or two for use on official occasions. They also ranked him up to captain so rank insignia could also be added that way.
I just imagined some loroi crew members pocketing some humans stuff and playing with it. Imagine a loroi finding a pokemon game or something and storming into alex's cell to demand a means of charging the gameboy.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

wasp609 wrote:

If Christianity can deal with having Easter be about a rabbit that hides chocolate eggs around in the grass, and Christmas be about a jolly old fat guy in a red suit flying around with magic reindeer, well, I get the feeling any discovery of aliens will probably lead to some silly and possibly unpredictable changes.
I dont know Christianity likes to claim halloween as a pagan holiday when its actually christian.

Samhain was the Gaelic original festivity devoted to harvest, and was merged with the christian All Saints into Halloween. Most Christian holy days have a pagan origin.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

wasp609 wrote:I just imagined some loroi crew members pocketing some humans stuff and playing with it. Imagine a loroi finding a pokemon game or something and storming into alex's cell to demand a means of charging the gameboy.
"You blew up all the double-A batteries"
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

raistlin34 wrote:
wasp609 wrote:

Samhain was the Gaelic original festivity devoted to harvest, and was merged with the christian All Saints into Halloween. Most Christian holy days have a pagan origin.
oh i know, did a paper in high school about Christianity high jacking various holidays and traditions. various christian students threatened me and tried to start a fight. So it went pretty well.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Iirc from a discussion some time ago, Torrai Adjutants (Sorimi) and the rest of the 'staffer branch' of the Torrai caste hold their positions because of a 'nepotism' of shorts, their mothers having had enough leverage to guarantee that their daughters do get a safe job handling military bureaucracy.

If true then do other, front line in particular, Loroi warriors see them as 'paper pushing pansies/lesser warriors'?

Also, will we ever know whose daughter Opal is?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:Iirc from a discussion some time ago, Torrai Adjutants (Sorimi) and the rest of the 'staffer branch' of the Torrai caste hold their positions because of a 'nepotism' of shorts, their mothers having had enough leverage to guarantee that their daughters do get a safe job handling military bureaucracy.

If true then do other, front line in particular, Loroi warriors see them as 'paper pushing pansies/lesser warriors'?
Perhaps not that extreme, but there is definitely a perceived difference between staff clerks and front-line warriors. Though, Sorimi are often staffing line admirals on board ship, so they're not always completely "safe."
dragoongfa wrote:Also, will we ever know whose daughter Opal is?
Probably, though I don't think it will be relevant to the story. Never stopped me before, though.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:Iirc from a discussion some time ago, Torrai Adjutants (Sorimi) and the rest of the 'staffer branch' of the Torrai caste hold their positions because of a 'nepotism' of shorts, their mothers having had enough leverage to guarantee that their daughters do get a safe job handling military bureaucracy.

Perhaps not that extreme, but there is definitely a perceived difference between staff clerks and front-line warriors. Though, Sorimi are often staffing line admirals on board ship, so they're not always completely "safe."
dragoongfa wrote:Also, will we ever know whose daughter Opal is?
Probably, though I don't think it will be relevant to the story. Never stopped me before, though.
Does this mean that Stillstorm as a group commander is entitled to a Sorimi?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:Does this mean that Stillstorm as a group commander is entitled to a Sorimi?
The Mazeit and Lashret are considered "Flag Captains," who are usually still the captains of their own ships and have their own Soroin/Tenoin XO and staff. Sorimi and other Torrai staff officers are usually assigned to "full" admirals (both "line admirals", Soshret and higher, as well as admiralty staff) who if they are on a ship are not usually that ship's captain.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

So Loroi can sense each other, but how accurate is it? Would Talon be able to tell that it was specifically Beryl that was approaching the cockpit airlock? Or is this sense unable to distinguish individuals within a group?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CF2 wrote:So Loroi can sense each other, but how accurate is it? Would Talon be able to tell that it was specifically Beryl that was approaching the cockpit airlock? Or is this sense unable to distinguish individuals within a group?
Signature detection is limited in range (it varies, but is only a few meters for most individuals), but telepathic signatures are distinct, so if you recognize the signature you should be able to tell who it is. Assuming that the signature is not being deliberately disguised.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Is signature disguise a Mizol-rarity skill, or is it realistically possible for most Loroi?

And just to confirm, it is one of those "dishonest liars" things that proper warriors wouldn't do normally (if ever), right?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Absalom wrote:Is signature disguise a Mizol-rarity skill, or is it realistically possible for most Loroi?

And just to confirm, it is one of those "dishonest liars" things that proper warriors wouldn't do normally (if ever), right?
I don't think there's anything dishonorable about hiding and ambush, at least from the Loroi point of view. It's a basic component of pragmatic warfare.

However, signature suppression or disguise is a rare and difficult ability.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:
Absalom wrote:Is signature disguise a Mizol-rarity skill, or is it realistically possible for most Loroi?

I don't think there's anything dishonorable about hiding and ambush, at least from the Loroi point of view. It's a basic component of pragmatic warfare.

I was thinking "walking behind someone you know" normal, more than "every decade or three we go to war" normal.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Absalom wrote:
Arioch wrote:

I was thinking "walking behind someone you know" normal, more than "every decade or three we go to war" normal.
It's a rare ability, but in terms of "sneaky and disturbing things that Mizol do with their telepathy which distress other Loroi", it's low on the list.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Not sure if anyone has asked this before (this thread is kinda large) but, how..unsettling is Jardin´s "lotai" to the nearby loroi, used as they are to being able to detect all sentient life around? is he like a robot/golem/zombie for them?

Rogue1115

Post by Rogue1115 »

Arioch, you've mentioned in your insider pages about deciding to skip over discussing where the energy for the Loroi telekinesis and other abilities comes from, so maybe that indirectly answers my question already, but I was wondering, do the Loroi generally require more sleep than humans due to higher energy requirements for brain activity? It's been shown (I think anyway) that among humans ourselves, people with ADHD and those who are more intelligent require more sleep since their cognitive functions use up more energy than other people. I would think that a race with telepathic and telekinetic abilities would require a lot more sleep than a human to replenish all the energy they are constantly using.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Sleep isn't a function that 'rests' or 'replenishes the energy' of one's brain. Actually the reasons as to why we require sleep are not well understood yet.

What scientists have been able to confirm is that sleep is beneficial to the whole body, the nervous system and allows for the brain to 're arrange' itself and subconciously process memories and other mental functions. The brain never truly rests, it is constantly active one way or the other.

As for how much sleep is required, the research is very inconclusive. Very intelligent people have extreme variations in sleep requirements so cognitive capabilities and use are not a factor on the amount of sleep needed.