Loroi Trade translation request general

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Cthulhu

Re: Loroi Trade translation request general

Post by Cthulhu »

Three more words, please:
1. Firstborn (especially if there is an archaic term)
2. Designated heir/crown princess/successor (since there were monarchies as well, could there have been an actual title for that?)
3. If there's "heaven", sizet, how about the opposite? Are such words a forgotten concept, or are they still being used? Maybe as curses? :x

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

rallersel - underworld (as in land of the dead, not specifically a realm of suffering or punishment)

This is probably a legacy Trade word rather than a Loroi-specific tradition.

minnal - heir
teigo monneras - "was born first"

There's no specific traditional Loroi term for "firstborn," as even in hereditary systems, being the oldest child was not usually considered anything special. Heirs were designated or had to go through some kind of competition (even if that competition was simply whichever one of them survived sororicide).

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:04 am
There's no specific traditional Loroi term for "firstborn," as even in hereditary systems, being the oldest child was not usually considered anything special. Heirs were designated or had to go through some kind of competition (even if that competition was simply whichever one of them survived sororicide).
Right, with the matriarchal structures and the warrior trials, the succession system would be quite different to the human ones. Even on Earth, primogeniture was merely one of the various succession laws, after all.

Then, let's change the direction a bit, what would "the first one(s)" (something like forebears or founders, not directly ancestors) translate to?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

"first folk" - teigo siimil
"founder(s)" - tastadi

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:11 pm
Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:23 pm
2. By Mystic, I meant someone who deals with the more esoteric stuff. Fringe psionic techniques, rare means of telepathic treatment, etc. Maybe there's even a rank and title for that, buried somewhere in the byzantine caste hierarchy?
I don't have a title for something like that.
I'd go with "origeller". "Ori" would mean spoon and "geller" would mean bender. ;-)

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

G. Janssen wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:17 pm
I'd go with "origeller". "Ori" would mean spoon and "geller" would mean bender. ;-)
No, Geller is a wholly different application. Oh, by the way, could you deactivate it for a moment? I want to tell you something.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

son

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:58 am
son
rastir

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

What would the Trade translation for "Super Beings" be?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:34 pm
Depends on what you mean. In the context of an ultra-tech scifi setting, there are a variety of specific and different things that could be called "superbeings," from precursor races to psionic warriors to advanced automatons.

In literal terms:
mashrat - superior
sozatel - entity, conscious thing

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:00 pm
Quickdraw101 wrote:
Depends on what you mean. In the context of an ultra-tech scifi setting, there are a variety of specific and different things that could be called "superbeings," from precursor races to psionic warriors to advanced automatons.

In literal terms:
mashrat - superior
I guess the closest would be psionic warriors, or at least what words would best suit elite warriors with awesome abilities that go beyond that of normal warriors.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:12 pm
Arioch wrote:
Quickdraw101 wrote:

In literal terms:
mashrat - superior
I guess the closest would be psionic warriors, or at least what words would best suit elite warriors with awesome abilities that go beyond that of normal warriors.
Psionic abilities are known as dennen; this term usually refers to abilities other telepathy, specifically psychokinesis. A "psionic warrior" might be phrased as a dennen pirot, dennen tiris, or dennen Loroi (since there isn't such a thing as a psionic non-Loroi, as far as anyone knows), but more often a specific term would be used such as Teidar or Mizol.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:44 am
Quickdraw101 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:12 pm
Arioch wrote:

In literal terms:
mashrat - superior
Psionic abilities are known as dennen; this term usually refers to abilities other telepathy, specifically psychokinesis. A "psionic warrior" might be phrased as a dennen pirot, dennen tiris, or dennen Loroi (since there isn't such a thing as a psionic non-Loroi, as far as anyone knows), but more often a specific term would be used such as Teidar or Mizol.
Given what I'm trying to to for here, I think Mashrat Sozatel might be the best translation there is for referring to someone who isn't either of the two, but still possess some type of ability that puts them above normal being. Not necessarily the term superman or superwoman type thing, but something to note superiority of a species. Either way, thanks.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

FOR HE IS THE KWIZATZ HADERACH! (toto soundtrack swells)

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

What is a loroi hotel or inn called?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:11 pm
What is a loroi hotel or inn called?
nalir

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

What are some examples of Loroi profanity? From the mild cusses like "crap" to the most offensive like the "c-word" or the "f-word"?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:56 am
What are some examples of Loroi profanity? From the mild cusses like "crap" to the most offensive like the "c-word" or the "f-word"?
The Loroi are not as verbal as humans, so "curse words" don't have quite the mystique for them that they do for us. Telepathically, if you want to insult someone, you just tell them specifically what you think of their shortcomings in literal terms, and verbally it's mostly the same. (Examples in Talon's tirade on p.131)

Sex for the Loroi is not a violent or controversial subject, so descriptions of genitalia or the sexual act are not usual content of insults. Probably the most insulting things you can say to a Loroi are to call her a coward or a liar, but almost any unflattering quality will suffice: stupid, unattractive, untalented, unpopular, having questionable hygienic practices, etc.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

train
bike (pedal or fuel propelled)
taxi
automobile
hover car (if the Loroi developed it)

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:28 am
Snoofman wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:56 am
The Loroi are not as verbal as humans, so "curse words" don't have quite the mystique for them that they do for us. Telepathically, if you want to insult someone, you just tell them specifically what you think of their shortcomings in literal terms, and verbally it's mostly the same. (Examples in Talon's tirade on p.131)

Sex for the Loroi is not a violent or controversial subject, so descriptions of genitalia or the sexual act are not usual content of insults. Probably the most insulting things you can say to a Loroi are to call her a coward or a liar, but almost any unflattering quality will suffice: stupid, unattractive, untalented, unpopular, having questionable hygienic practices, etc.
I guess I am part Loroi then lol.

Not really. But being raised in a very controlled religious society most of my life made me to not curse at all.

Now that I no longer follow it I give myself license to say the occasional damn (not directly insulting people with it though, more an expression of frustration).

I never liked how people use sex as a curse. I mean I know sex can surround both good and bad situations, but I don't have to like it's use in profanity.

I have a hard time separating sex from romance, something the loroi and many humans can do easier than I can.