Happy Independence Day

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Happy Independence Day

Post by Arioch »

I'm not super happy with this, but I'm out of time... so I'll just post it here and say, Happy Birthday, America.
2023 liberty beryl3.jpg
2023 liberty beryl3.jpg (206.47 KiB) Viewed 47854 times

Bamax

Re: Happy Independence Day

Post by Bamax »

"Perfection is the enemy of progress."

Better to ask for forgiveness for not being perfect than forever hold off action because it's not absolutely perfect.

Besides... the only one... aside from actually artists who know and can see flaws, is you.

The rest of the guys are just happy to ogle Beryl lol.

Post by avatar576 »

Happy 4th! Beryl looks great.
Celebrate safe: Don't drink and drive, and be careful with fireworks.
Already been on one emergency callout this morning thanks to some careless kids -- Don't need another.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:30 pm
Already been on one emergency callout this morning thanks to some careless kids -- Don't need another.
On duty for the holiday? Be safe.

Post by avatar576 »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:05 am
Yep. On call.

Some kids were playing with fireworks and set their neighbor's hedges on fire. Burned the hedges to the ground and knocked out the overhead power and telecom lines before the FD got it under control. I get dragged out of bed at 1 AM to clean up and fix the mess. Thankfully no one injured, but it'll be one heck of an expensive lesson.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Wew

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Thank you!

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:38 am
Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:05 am
Yep. On call.

Some kids were playing with fireworks and set their neighbor's hedges on fire. Burned the hedges to the ground and knocked out the overhead power and telecom lines before the FD got it under control. I get dragged out of bed at 1 AM to clean up and fix the mess. Thankfully no one injured, but it'll be one heck of an expensive lesson.
Sir, I salute you!

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

The patina on the Statue of Liberty has gotten a bit more exotic recently.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I thought the statue of liberty is holding the bill of rights (which don't apply to Loroi, yet), and not a laurel wreath...

Wonderful, thank you!

Also a thank you to avatar576 for his work.

Since I'm European, but not French, the 4th of July means nothing to me, besides another day older and deeper in debt.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

I'm European (Spaniard) as well, and always perceived American patriotism with a certain level of...apprehension.

It was no long ago, historically speaking, since we had a military dictatorship here. To the point that those who openly and publicly make such shows of devotion to the motherland are often suspect of fascism ("fachas"). Because it was "their" thing.

The stunts of the recently formed ultra right party Vox, which is quickly gaining power, don't help at all.

Am I being prejudiced?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Krulle wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:42 am
I thought the statue of liberty is holding the bill of rights (which don't apply to Loroi, yet), and not a laurel wreath...
The real statue is holding a tablet on which is inscribed "July IV MDCCLXXVI" (July 4 1776). I substituted the laurel wreath that's held by the Statue of Poetry in Florence, which is essentially Liberty's older sister. I thought it looked more interesting.
SpoilerShow
raistlin34 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:27 am
Am I being prejudiced?
Right-wing groups often use symbols of national pride, but that doesn't mean that all symbols of national pride are inherently fascist.

The Statue of Liberty, in particular, is a monument to the virtues of immigration. Not exactly fascist stuff.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

"As honorary chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend to you a laurel and hardy handshake."
-- Beryl (probably)
Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:55 am
The Statue of Liberty, in particular, is a monument to the virtues of immigration. Not exactly fascist stuff.
The Statue of Liberty is first and foremost a monument to the ideals of freedom and liberty. It's association with "the virtues of immigration" came later with the opening of the Ellis Island immigration station in 1892. The plaque with the "Give me your tired ..." sonnet was added in 1903, 17 years after the statue's initial dedication.

So, technically correct (the best kind of correct).

Post by avatar576 »

Krulle wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:42 am
Also a thank you to avatar576 for his work.
Glad to be of service. I've always believed that if you want to see a person's true character, cut off his TV and internet. It's my job to fix it when it goes down (or gets taken down). It's not the most glamorous job, but I take some pride in what I do.

Highlord

Post by Highlord »

raistlin34 wrote:
I'm European (Spaniard) as well, and always perceived American patriotism with a certain level of...apprehension.

It was no long ago, historically speaking, since we had a military dictatorship here. To the point that those who openly and publicly make such shows of devotion to the motherland are often suspect of fascism ("fachas"). Because it was "their" thing.

The stunts of the recently formed ultra right party Vox, which is quickly gaining power, don't help at all.

Am I being prejudiced?
No, you are not. Especially with the way my country is acting right now.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Highlord wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:43 am
raistlin34 wrote:

Am I being prejudiced?
No, you are not. Especially with the way my country is acting right now.
Cringe.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Yeah, it's a pity we're not going forward with a unified Europe.

Vive l'Europe!

Instead we're seeing Europe getting more and more egocentrical, and blaming the European Union for everything.
(While taking the good things as having being their own.)

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Krulle wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:42 pm

Vive l'Europe!

Instead we're seeing Europe getting more and more egocentrical, and blaming the European Union for everything.
The UK used to do so, and that mentality culminated in Brexit.
Suffice to say, things have not going well for them from that moment.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Krulle wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:42 pm

Vive l'Europe!

It's quite the opposite since Brexit happened, the general sentiment has been far more pro European than anti in most of Europe, even in previously problematic countries. It can be argued that the main gripes is that the EU is not united enough to bring solutions to certain problems by using its diplomatic and financial weight efficiently.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

The problem I see is that in general it becomes more obvious we need to unite, and less discussion about that, but right-wing parties gain traction (for many other reasons), and therefore little effort is made to get on with the most important peace project.

At least all those who were unclear about their position now took a clear position, nearly always in favour of EUrope.