Page 221: Big realizations and Big Doors

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Page 221: Big realizations and Big Doors

Post by dragoongfa »

Yes Alex you should not annoy the walking psychokinetic force of nature that is Fireblade.
And yes that is a Big Door.

Dromond

Re: Page 221: Big realizations and Big Doors

Post by Dromond »

Yep, he has realized what a stupid idea it is to provoke Fireblade.
Pleasantly abstruse

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

dragoongfa wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:25 am
And yes that is a Big Door.
That's no mere door!
That's a hatch.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Ackchyually per the NSTM, a hatch is an access opening fitted to the deck/overhead while a door is an access opening fitted to a bulkhead.

And because I totally didn't double check, I also didn't learn that you can read older NSTMs online. Hatch is defined on page 600-2, or page 22 of the file which I happen to just know and again, totally didn't look up.

Werra

Post by Werra »

I kind of figured that Umiak reloaded their torpedo rackks from outside the ship. Is there another type of ordinance in this storage facility?

Also, the longer this boarsing action goes on, the more understandable it becomes why the Loroi have a bad reputation. To us humans they look as trustworthy as any hottie, especially as we are immune to most of their abilities. But the other species do not have that safety blanket and the Loroi look as strange to them as they do to us. Getting chased around a confined starship by an intelligent creature capable of telepathy that you will not outfight is nightmare fuel.

Curlysan

Post by Curlysan »

Always understood "hatch" to mean airtight/watertight and door to not be. Whether it's in the deck or bulkhead a hatch is pressure proof to a design limit. Simplest description; a door doesn't stop flooding/fire. A hatch will until it's limits are exceeded.

And yes, teasing the psionic/psychokinetic weapon isn't the brightest thing to do.
Last edited by Curlysan on Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Werra wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:28 am
I kind of figured that Umiak reloaded their torpedo rackks from outside the ship. Is there another type of ordinance in this storage facility?
Right that they have reload their ordinance from outside the ship but they still need to access them from inside for maintenance reason. So this must be the internal magazine where the 'reloads' are stored; when the time comes the missiles are moved around with an autoloader system much like many of our missile systems work.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:
Some Umiak ships have external missile racks, but those (like this one) with large multi-cell missile launcher arrays are usually fed by internal magazine(s).

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm loving the highlights and shadows going on in the background. Is that some Umiak writing we see near the ceiling in panel 2?

(Also, was that a Tron reference?)

Moon Moth

Post by Moon Moth »

Wow, the backgrounds look amazing.
Werra wrote:
Getting chased around a confined starship by an intelligent creature capable of telepathy that you will not outfight is nightmare fuel.
Yeah. Hiding won't work, sneaking won't work, distraction won't work. Any scout you send ahead will be killed. If you leave a hole in your defenses, they'll find it. And if Alex's vision in 210 is what the Loroi see, they could even wait until you get distracted and look away for a moment. It's straight out of a horror movie.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

I'm guessing that not all the Loroi see that way. Beryl may be getting her intel from Tempo. The combination of Tempo and Fireblade together may be nearly unstoppable (which I think Beryl hinted at).

Also, antagonizing Fireblade just became a whole lot more fun! (Remember, she's sworn to protect Alex).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Signature detection, or the ability to passively detect the presence of other minds, is a basic Loroi ability. It typically only has a range of a few meters, but Beryl's telepathy is slightly more powerful than average, so she can pretty reliably tell whether there are Umiak around the corner. And yes, this is one of the features that makes Loroi extremely dangerous in close-quarters combat.

She is, of course, also getting information from Fireblade on her progress ahead of them.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Another reason why Loroi might find human immunity disturbing.

And I just realized another reason why Beryl needs to keep Alex in line of sight.

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

Seems like it might make for some possibly fatal (for Alex) jump-scares of the Loroi if Alex does get separated from Beryl or the Loroi otherwise lose track of him, no? Or maybe they can still sense he's there (and certainly I'd think he would 'read' as non-Umiak), just nothing more than a presence.

--Mithramuse

Dromond

Post by Dromond »

Mithramuse wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:33 pm
Seems like it might make for some possibly fatal (for Alex) jump-scares of the Loroi if Alex does get separated from Beryl or the Loroi otherwise lose track of him, no? Or maybe they can still sense he's there (and certainly I'd think he would 'read' as non-Umiak), just nothing more than a presence.

--Mithramuse
It's been pretty firmly established that Loroi cannot sense Humans at all. Not a presence, not a suspicious blankness, not a mental void. To a Loroi, a Human might as well be an inanimate object. A wall. A post. A flower pot. They sense no mind whatsoever.
Pleasantly abstruse

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Dromond wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:05 am
Mithramuse wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:33 pm

--Mithramuse
It's been pretty firmly established that Loroi cannot sense Humans at all. Not a presence, not a suspicious blankness, not a mental void. To a Loroi, a Human might as well be an inanimate object. A wall. A post. A flower pot. They sense no mind whatsoever.
Yeah, its almost like there's a Historian construct in the room, sans the humor. ;)

Dromond

Post by Dromond »

GeoModder wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:21 am
Yeah, its almost like there's a Historian construct in the room, sans the humor. ;)
Alex has a keen sense of humor, but he doesn't dare use it. His brand of humor could get him killed.
Pleasantly abstruse

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Dromond wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:29 am
GeoModder wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:21 am
Alex has a keen sense of humor, but he doesn't dare use it. His brand of humor could get him killed.
Alex just discovered Fireblade's own brand of humor, and decided he didn't want to become the punchline.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

There's a joke somewhere along the lines of "Well, that's because humans *have* no minds" but someone needs to write it better than that.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Demarquis wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:49 pm
There's a joke somewhere along the lines of "Well, that's because humans *have* no minds" but someone needs to write it better than that.
Fine, I'll take a stab.

"A ship full of hot telepathic babes can't read any thoughts from Alex's mind? Its cause hes not thinking with his *mind*" Giggity. Fireblade pastes you to the wall.