Page 220: Clearing the Path

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

QuakeIV

Page 220: Clearing the Path

Post by QuakeIV »

So thats a pretty cool shot.

Incinerator

Re: Page 220: Clearing the Path

Post by Incinerator »

"Rip and tear, until it is DONE!"

Moon Moth

Post by Moon Moth »

... You go, girl? :-/

I'm trying to figure out what exactly Fireblade *did*. Maybe grab them like squeezing an action figure in your fist? The armor doesn't seem to be breached, but a number of joints have broken, and the fluids make me think that some of those small hoses popped. *shiver* I don't want to think what this would do to a soft fleshy Human or Loroi.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Alex finally gets to witness firsthand the brutality of the Unsheathed. While he has chosen to side with the Loroi, I can’t help but feel that he will remember the Loroi’s capacity for aggression, and give him as well as other humans reason pause to completely trust them. Because if they can do that to the Umiak, the Mannadi and the Tithric, what’s to stop them from doing that to humans if they become so inclined?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Yep, a really pissed of Psychokinetic will do that.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:35 am
what’s to stop them from doing that to humans if they become so inclined?
In that case lets hope our resistence to telepathy & mindprobes extends to whatever it is that Fireblade is doing :/

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Jagged wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:58 am
Snoofman wrote:
In that case lets hope our resistence to telepathy & mindprobes extends to whatever it is that Fireblade is doing :/
Remember Alex when he was psychokinetically pushed in the Tempest’s elevator? Humans may be immune to telepathy, but not PK. But A Teidar could still shred a Terran marine with a thought.

projekcja

Post by projekcja »

Snoofman wrote:
Alex finally gets to witness firsthand the brutality of the Unsheathed. While he has chosen to side with the Loroi, I can’t help but feel that he will remember the Loroi’s capacity for aggression, and give him as well as other humans reason pause to completely trust them. Because if they can do that to the Umiak, the Mannadi and the Tithric, what’s to stop them from doing that to humans if they become so inclined?
I don't quite follow the line of reasoning that goes from someone being powerful and willing to employ violence in a war, to that someone not being trustworthy. As for the how much Humanity should fear the Loroi's ability for their destruction, their powerful fleet of starships and the ability to unleash nuke-like destruction on planets overshadows fear of a telekinetic trooper, and all spacefaring factions would have those abilities.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Good but I just noticed that Alex doesn't have a backpack. Since this Umiak ship has been depressurized he wouldn't have more breathable air then what is in his helmet.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

I would assume the backpack is for tools not an oxygen supply or scrubber.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Sweforce wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:09 am
Good but I just noticed that Alex doesn't have a backpack. Since this Umiak ship has been depressurized he wouldn't have more breathable air then what is in his helmet.
I quess the helmet breaks the carbon dioxide into oxygen and carbon. It just needs a small powersource and scifi tech. But the question made me think about the pressure inside helmet, if the airspace in helmet can't expand, it makes difficult to breath, as there is no space, where the air can go.
Supporter of forum RPG

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:09 am
Jagged wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:58 am
Snoofman wrote:
Remember Alex when he was psychokinetically pushed in the Tempest’s elevator? Humans may be immune to telepathy, but not PK. But A Teidar could still shred a Terran marine with a thought.
It is in that Marines best interest to not be seen.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Fireblade says Bugs go SPLAT!!!!!!

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Damn fire blade and others liker her would be great at pest control. No need for harsh chemicals we psychically crush all the bugs.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

The only thing that comes to my mind is, Humanity is the mix of both. We dont have the powers of the lori but can swarm like the umaik.
We may not have individual power telepathically but in numbers physically, we win. I wouldnt mind seeing Humanity pull there asses out of this situation. IE, they came investigating why some scout ships disappeared and find them. Flipping the script on the ladies on who is protecting whom.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Beryl appears to be left-handed. I seem to recall that Loroi were more likely to be left-handed (I think there was something about it in the Loroi discussion thread) but I have forgotten whether the percentage was stated. For reference, Humans are 90% right-handed.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"We may not have individual power telepathically but in numbers physically, we win. "

I don't think that this is true. IIRC, the Loroi have colonized many times the number of systems we have, and number in the trillions. Remember that their rate of reproduction is much higher than ours. For the present, at least, I think Humanity needs to present itself as being as non-threatening as possible.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yeah... humanity does not outnumber the Loroi. Earth has a larger population than any of the Loroi worlds, but the Loroi have a lot more worlds.
Turrosh Mak wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:26 pm
Beryl appears to be left-handed. I seem to recall that Loroi were more likely to be left-handed (I think there was something about it in the Loroi discussion thread) but I have forgotten whether the percentage was stated. For reference, Humans are 90% right-handed.
I don't have a percentage, but the vast majority of Loroi are left-handed.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

I stand corrected. My train of thought was that we are denser in population per world but less worlds over all due to being a "younger" race. To me that plays out in how we fight. We are not afraid of close quarter fighting, while I get the impression Lori try to avoid it at all costs. Even to go so far as to train up Unsheathed with strong telepath skills instead of Dedicated Physicals fighters. We aren't afraid to get in close, risking ourselves physically, if we need to punch and kick we will. While Lori direct others telepathically (using them to fight themselves) or straight up crushing them with Telepathic abilities. I get the impression they are literal glass cannon's, strong telepathically but one punch from a 6'4 400lbs will squish em. We have yet to see hand to hand with them and I for one am sitting with glee waiting for the next few pages to come out. I also admit there is a argument for "why train physically when you have telepathy" but any warrior knows you are the weapon and every part of you needs to be trained. My rifle is just a rifle, I am the weapon that makes it work, without my rifle, I am still a weapon, train of thought. What are the Unsheathed with out their telepathy?
I am probly wrong but thats the joy of good stories like this. Makes great conversations :D

I think humanity needs to show that we are non-threating but also able to be a threat if made to be an enemy. Otherwise we are pushovers and next target for whoever wins the war. We need to show being our friend is better than being our enemy and that enemies will not profit off us if at war. That is all we can do. We are the Native American's to the Lori(and rest of space)'s Columbus. We need to be very careful.

Post by avatar576 »

Kelvandos wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:54 am
I think humanity needs to show that we are non-threating but also able to be a threat if made to be an enemy. Otherwise we are pushovers and next target for whoever wins the war. We need to show being our friend is better than being our enemy and that enemies will not profit off us if at war. That is all we can do. We are the Native American's to the Lori(and rest of space)'s Columbus. We need to be very careful.
I don't think humanity needs to worry about appearing non-threatening to the Loroi at this point. On page 74, the Loroi strike group is said to be "small and under-strength," yet larger than the entirety of humanity's space fleet. Not to mention vastly superior, technologically speaking.

Really the best thing humanity has going for it at this point is that the Loroi don't need another enemy as they've got enough on their plate. And while they are mistrustful of other races, I get the impression that they don't actively seek conflict. They are a warrior race -- prepared to go to war whenever necessary -- but not warlike. The fact that Alex is still alive (especially after revealing critical information on the location of human territory) and the Loroi are expending resources to keep him alive is evidence of that.

I think the best thing Alex can do is stop trying to push Fireblade's buttons, especially now that he's seen firsthand what she's actually capable of. That would help to further the notion that humanity isn't going to be a thorn in the Loroi's side.
Last edited by avatar576 on Sun May 21, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.