210 Far-sensing?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arent

Re: 210 Far-sensing?

Post by Arent »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:42 pm
Anyway, I looked at the new chapter again and realized that Beryl is the lone Loroi on the right side of the door and that Alex is still invisible. This means that he is indeed hijacking Loroi telepathy, most probably Fireblade's, while remaining undetectable.
Alex is indeed invisible in the picture. But this could have all kinds of reasons. Whatever 'sense' is at work here does detect dead Humans in closed coffins but not living Humans :?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

This isn't far-sensing. This is regular sensing. Far-sensing involves light-year scales.

Anyway, I don't see Tempo or Cloud in the current telepathic visualization. There's enough silhouettes for Fireblade, the two guards, the two pilots, and Beryl.

But I don't see a corpse of Cloud, even though we see the corpses of humans... so I'm gonna hold out hope against hope that Cloud is currently on an Umiak medical bed getting her arm stitched back on or something. (It's never gonna happen.)

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Telepathy can't sense the dead or inanimate objects, only active biological minds. What we see are the visualizations of thoughts that Alex is picking up, and its most probable source is Fireblade. She doesn't know where Tempo is, since that tricky Mizol is probably hiding behind a lotai or is perhaps outside this picture. Our pitiful Cloud is too insignificant to even think about, :( or Fireblade is intentionally not thinking about her tragic fate.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Cloud, as befits her name, was vaporized into a fine mist.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

icekatze wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:27 pm
hi hi

This isn't far-sensing. This is regular sensing. Far-sensing involves light-year scales.

Anyway, I don't see Tempo or Cloud in the current telepathic visualization. There's enough silhouettes for Fireblade, the two guards, the two pilots, and Beryl.

But I don't see a corpse of Cloud, even though we see the corpses of humans... so I'm gonna hold out hope against hope that Cloud is currently on an Umiak medical bed getting her arm stitched back on or something. (It's never gonna happen.)
I am guessing she is vapor from a particle weapon.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:35 pm
icekatze wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:27 pm
hi hi

I am guessing she is vapor from a particle weapon.

Hey.... it's scifi! Anything is possible.... though my known physics part of my brain is screaming that the amount of energy needed to vape any human mass of density would be more than enough to blow up that part of the ship.

You know what happens when you fire a vaping energy level laser into a human? All those liquids gasify and you get an explosion.

I am literally talking a human turned into a min-nuke. They WILL be plasma.

There are scifi realistic ways around this... say they used a distergrater beam.... which only distentergrates, that could do it.

projekcja

Post by projekcja »

I think Tempo is the blue figure with the right hand extended - which I think is a sign she and Fireblade are actively using telepathic manipulation. They were the ones we saw guiding out the Umiak that wandered in, and I suspect they're still actively preventing more of them from doing so - reading Umiak minds and looking for an impulse to check the room they're in, replacing that impulse with an urge to do something else, and later forget they what they were meaning to do. Maybe sometimes stimulating the right nerves to make them hungry, tired or otherwise disposed to stop exploring and just get their task done with.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Just wondering. If the telepathic emissions are natural sign of life/sentience everywhere in galaxy, then it doesn't make much sense that one race is avoid of them.
But it could be result of telepathic predator in past, which has directed the evolution in our past. Perhaps even in time of dinosaurs. Our mammal ancestors had to evolve in masking to survive. Then maybe the deaths during meteor strike did gave psychic shock strong enough to kill the all those which still had any telepathic awareness.

And if not natural evolution, someone had done something either to humans or toward every existing race that loroi have encountered.

By the way, if telepathy is designed thing, then umiak have just find any race untouched by "ancestors" to have invisible army.
Supporter of forum RPG

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

page210_1_annotated.jpg
page210_1_annotated.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 12769 times
(I'm here to help.)

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 am
page210_1_annotated.jpg
(I'm here to help.)
RIP Dave if you're referring to the corpse inside the casket.

Yet if it's a bug named 'Dave'... that's huge spoilers.... which you don't do.

So I presume it's some poor guy who thought he was going to do first contact... while he was still breathing.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Arioch wrote:
(I'm here to help.)
Oh no, i hope Dave will survive Loroi fiendish plot against hierarchy.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Zorg56 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:44 am
Oh no, i hope Dave will survive Loroi fiendish plot against hierarchy.
You know what happens to named antagonists, right? If the author bothers no name them, they will die in unusually flashy or hilarious ways.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

"Here we have true facts about the Umiak, oh and there is Dave, he is going to survive 250 solon longer than his brothers and sisters"
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AuWGow6h05 for reference.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
page210_1_annotated.jpg
(I'm here to help.)
Wow tempo is missing too although I think alex is just getting used to far seeing things. I wonder will the Umiaki eat the dead bodies?

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

I feel bad for Dave - he does not seem to have many friends.

projekcja

Post by projekcja »

I guess Tempo is on the Umiak ship, one by one killing their entire crew. Except for one that will be kept to radio the other ships, reporting that everything is fine. Not because he's under threat to do so, but because he actually believes it to be the case.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

projekcja wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:51 pm
Except for one that will be kept to radio the other ships, reporting that everything is fine. Not because he's under threat to do so, but because he actually believes it to be the case.
Or he may believe that he or his ship comrades do not need their eyes any longer, because, what use do they have in hyperspace anyway? :twisted:

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
page210_1_annotated.jpg
(I'm here to help.)
Are you now? :)
I wonder if our good bug "Dave" is a link to good ol' David...

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

So ... have we gone from "These are not the Loroi you were looking for" to "Dave's not here"?

;)
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Werra

Post by Werra »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE
SpoilerShow
Arioch, should you really have planned for the Historian AI to take over the Umiak ship and should the Umiak find themselves stranded out in the shuttle, you know what has to happen now. It's the law.