Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

discord

Re: Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Post by discord »

mjolnir: sure you can put a observation deck somewhere less well protected, but ANY observation deck is a structural weakness anyway so it sort of makes sense to get a better view and have it severely compartmentalized, a bridge in such a location is suicide though.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

discord wrote:mjolnir: sure you can put a observation deck somewhere less well protected, but ANY observation deck is a structural weakness anyway so it sort of makes sense to get a better view and have it severely compartmentalized, a bridge in such a location is suicide though.
Since anything worth observing will be observed via screens, it's not a given that an observation deck is a structural weakness. As I said, they can observe just as well from a heavily armored room buried deep inside the ship.

discord

Post by discord »

i did not say it was something logical to have on a warship, but there is something special with seeing things by method of mark 1 eyeball rather than electronically enhanced and realer than life color.

and an observation deck would by definition be a place to use said mark 1 eyeball, not just a place to gather information, that's what the bridge and CIC is there for.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

An actual observation deck would be an extension of the hull, possibly outside of the armor, but would still be part of the main hull.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

So Mr 088. How the mod going?

LegioCI

Post by LegioCI »

I have to agree with Mjolnir on this one: Having an exposed "observation deck" is a dumb idea. It does nothing that a sensor suite can't do better without putting trained crew at risk. (Consider that the distances at which these battles take place means that you likely can't even see the enemy without some kind of telescope- The Umiak fleet looks like a formation of specks here, and we can probably assume that the Winter Tide is acting as a picket vessel far forward of the main Loroi line.)
"But notice how the Human thinks. 'Interesting... how can I use this as a weapon?'" - Arioch

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I would expect observation platforms (and windows in general) to be crew comfort features rather than practical ones. The view when orbiting a planet is going to be quite spectacular. You just need to make sure any such viewing areas are outside the armor, and the access points need to be reinforced airlocks.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

You know, thinking about it, non-combat ships (transports, etc.) could possibly even use shuttles as observation decks.

Michael

Post by Michael »

interesting idea, makes sense i suppose, for like shore leave or something
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Post by 088 »

Well Karst45 and anyone whose interested the mod hasn't progressed much.
due to me tending my application to the Art Institute of Sacramento, to get a bachelors of science degree in game arts and design. =3
IM REALLY EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!! well and scared/nervouse and a bunch of other emotions jumbled in there. but all of the Terrakin shipset has been replaced with a sort of generic frigate model if nothing else. the list of ships with a custom model are fighter/bomber freighter destroyer frigate cruiser and battleship. which is actually 90% of the ships in game. the only issue im running into the size of the models and there resulting loading times. i optimized the models i had already created but this did little to curb the loading times, and resulted in messed up textures.
i don't have any screens to upload as i am on my laptop currently a week away from my pc.
tho i will say the fighter/bomber model looks a bit like a pelican crossed with the Bell.
if there is anyone who is good at coding or wants to donate models or other materials/help
your more than welcome to PM me or Email me at my primary Email address. im really hoping for someone who can understand the physics code just so i can get ships in game to display different movement behaviors inside a system (sublight speed) and interstellar space (FTL)
what i hope this will do is make in system combat more strategic while cutting down on the "dance of death" style space battles. which look more like jousting than the awesome slugfests the game screams for.
i have already received one PM from someone wishing to help and hopefully it wont be the last.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Arioch wrote:I would expect observation platforms (and windows in general) to be crew comfort features rather than practical ones. The view when orbiting a planet is going to be quite spectacular. You just need to make sure any such viewing areas are outside the armor, and the access points need to be reinforced airlocks.
Indeed. When I model my spaceships, they usually have "exposed" bridges - however, those are not battle-bridges. During battle, the crew moves to the battle-bridge, which is deep inside the ship.

So you can have both.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

TrashMan wrote:
Arioch wrote:I would expect observation platforms (and windows in general) to be crew comfort features rather than practical ones. The view when orbiting a planet is going to be quite spectacular. You just need to make sure any such viewing areas are outside the armor, and the access points need to be reinforced airlocks.
Indeed. When I model my spaceships, they usually have "exposed" bridges - however, those are not battle-bridges. During battle, the crew moves to the battle-bridge, which is deep inside the ship.

So you can have both.
bases on modern ship building ( A nav bridge and a seperate combat control bridge). But it does make sense to have both
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Lone Wolf 777

Post by Lone Wolf 777 »

Sorry to interrupt like the outsiders learning it on my site. how about this ship designs from my favorite site. http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=163483

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Lone Wolf 777 wrote:Sorry to interrupt like the outsiders learning it on my site. how about this ship designs from my favorite site. http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=163483
Oi! Another fellow SB'er! :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

BobBKew

Post by BobBKew »

I have been lurking for a long time. I do 3d models, lol. I'm also in RelicNews, SB, and Hard-Light. Oh, hey there Sebastian!

One of mine, but I guess it could easily be re-purposed as a heavily Loroi influenced Destroyer or Cruiser type warship.

Ed: Oops. Necro.

elorran

Post by elorran »

I haven't been to Hard Light in ages, should probably check in. The model doesn't look half bad :)

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Nice design Bob

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

The ship looks rather big, and for the ship's size the armament looks lite, but only in comparison to the ship. Maybe a long-range/ultra-long-range scout/survey/contact ship, perhaps battleship-size or larger? It looks like the Outsider equivalent of Babylon 5's explorer ships: the 'look' of the armaments says 'heavy', but the proportions say 'token contribution', as if it's trying to convey "Hey, I could easily destroy your entire civilization, but it turns out I'm not interested! How'd you like to do business?".

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cool design, Bob. Very interesting shape.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

What'd you model that in?
Don't delay, join today!