WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

NOMAD

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
NOMAD wrote:IIRC: talon will have some lines during the trip ( pls no "Do you need coffee Captain" remarks).
Talon: You seem to be loosing focus Captain, may i offer you a good stimulant to keep you awake?

Alex: hmm sure?

*slap across the face*
ouch, ok ok I'm awake now, are we their yet ?
Arioch wrote:
NOMAD wrote:and moving cargo in a pressurized cargo bay would be easier for the crew. but couldn't the gravity be turned off to help move large items ?
I expect that most hangar bays would have the artificial gravity at lower settings to make things easier to move around, but I don't think you'd want to turn it off altogether -- I think zero G makes objects harder rather than easier to move around. The shuttle itself has inertial dampers, but not artificial gravity.
Thx Arioch, I was thinking their no load its easier to move, but forgot large object = large inertia ( = very squished Loroi is cargo got away). tehe
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

NOMAD wrote:Thx Arioch, I was thinking their no load its easier to move, but forgot large object = large inertia ( = very squished Loroi is cargo got away). tehe
The main problem, I believe, is that in zero G when you push against a heavy object, what moves is mostly you.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Arioch wrote:
NOMAD wrote:Thx Arioch, I was thinking their no load its easier to move, but forgot large object = large inertia ( = very squished Loroi is cargo got away). tehe
The main problem, I believe, is that in zero G when you push against a heavy object, what moves is mostly you.
true, but if your braced against something larger, its really easier. The only problem is the amount of force against the object and controlling said object in space when its motion ( man maneuver unit (MMU)unit for EVA;s required you to think about 5 second ahead of every move, since the "thrusters" need that amount of time to overcome your momentum and velocity ). I guess I was thinking about this Satellite repair where they lost the trap device and three astronauts had to EVA and hand handle the satellite into the payload bay. Guess having the shuttle for leverage worked well.

but would cargo transfer be in pressurize bays or something akin to the current US navy "Resupply Underway" where the cargo ship pull next to warships, throws some guide lines ( in zero G it would be hard rail lines) and transfer the supplies ?
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

NOMAD wrote:but would cargo transfer be in pressurize bays or something akin to the current US navy "Resupply Underway" where the cargo ship pull next to warships, throws some guide lines ( in zero G it would be hard rail lines) and transfer the supplies ?
There would either be a pressurized umbilical/causeway, or you would pressurize the whole hangar bay. Or you could leave it depressurized and do the transfer work in pressure suits.

Random Person

Post by Random Person »

Looking at the passenger capacity of the Loroi shuttles, I have to ask what the main limit is since they seem low? It can't be lack of room, since you can cram a lot of people into a space that size (example). Life support capacity?
Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? It's not my department. -Wernher von Braun

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

With a 5-point harness, don't you run the risk of "racking" your male passengers? (I guess its not an issue since it's used in racing) From the images I found on the web, the middle strap comes from the middle/back of the seat rather than the front.

Edit: looked deeper

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Random Person wrote:Looking at the passenger capacity of the Loroi shuttles, I have to ask what the main limit is since they seem low? It can't be lack of room, since you can cram a lot of people into a space that size (example). Life support capacity?
The seating is configurable, so there are no hard limits except space and comfort (and gear; note the seating capacity for the C-17 when carrying combat-ready troops is much less than the ferrying configuration you posted). The listed capacity on the Highland is 20-60; I think you'd be hard-pressed to cram many more than 60 seats in that space.

Most of the other Loroi shuttles are much smaller than the Highland; a Standard shuttle is about 30m long, the size of a CH-47 Chinook helicopter. The listed passenger capacity for a CH-47 is 33-55, and the shuttle is 20-40; given that the shuttle must have engines and fuel of a spacecraft and the Chinook is just a helicopter, that sounds about right to me.
Turrosh Mak wrote:With a 5-point harness, don't you run the risk of "racking" your male passengers? (I guess its not an issue since it's used in racing) From the images I found on the web, the middle strap comes from the middle/back of the seat rather than the front.
What male passengers?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:What male passengers?
:lol:
Humanoid Loroinoid alien male passengers? :P

Random Person

Post by Random Person »

Arioch wrote:The seating is configurable, so there are no hard limits except space and comfort (and gear; note the seating capacity for the C-17 when carrying combat-ready troops is much less than the ferrying configuration you posted). The listed capacity on the Highland is 20-60; I think you'd be hard-pressed to cram many more than 60 seats in that space.

Most of the other Loroi shuttles are much smaller than the Highland; a Standard shuttle is about 30m long, the size of a CH-47 Chinook helicopter. The listed passenger capacity for a CH-47 is 33-55, and the shuttle is 20-40; given that the shuttle must have engines and fuel of a spacecraft and the Chinook is just a helicopter, that sounds about right to me.
What really stood out was Conveyer shuttle. Big and blocky with only 80 passengers for a 50m craft just seems a tad low. Anyway, I figure the shuttles won't be used for combat drops very often, so ferry capacity seems more important.
Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? It's not my department. -Wernher von Braun

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

that 5 point seat belt make me thing of that futurama episode were Amy going to buys a car.

The explanation of the seat belt feature was nice :P

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

For the shuttle are very important issues of thermal insulation, removal of moisture. Luke and airlock should not differ greatly from thermal map of the nearby constructions. Cab needs strong (the most strongest of all constructions) thermal protection. Well... Could be added "whiskers" of ionosphere-antennas.
http://www.buran.ru/images/gif/bor-6.gif

And, is not it easier in time of war build only cargo ships? For the transport of personnel and especially for the transport of special persons can be used comfortable containers, like on Il-76.
http://www.microavia.ru/images/samolety ... na-151.jpg

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Haha, oh these latest WIP updates take me back. Reminds me of when I first started following Outsider. I feel for you Arioch! Designing new sets in as much detail as you do is hard.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Arioch, how many panels and pages do you have in the pipeline right now?

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:Arioch, how many panels and pages do you have in the pipeline right now?

CJSF
None at present.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

:shock:

CJSF

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

cacambo43 wrote:Arioch, how many panels and pages do you have in the pipeline right now?

CJSF
"Sergeant, are the gallows raised?"

"Aye, sir, that they are."

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

CptWinters wrote:

CJSF
"Sergeant, are the gallows raised?"

"Aye, sir, that they are."
Wait? For me or him?

:mrgreen:

CJSF

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Sergeant Barnes wrote:"Aye, sir, that they are."
"Very good, sergeant. For the crime of mentioning updates on the Outsider forum, on this day, Tuesday, August Twenty-Seventh, in the Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Thirteen, cacambo43 is sentenced to hang by the neck until dead. Carry out the punishment."

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

CptWinters wrote:
Sergeant Barnes wrote:"Aye, sir, that they are."
"Very good, sergeant. For the crime of mentioning updates on the Outsider forum, on this day, Tuesday, August Twenty-Seventh, in the Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Thirteen, cacambo43 is sentenced to hang by the neck until dead. Carry out the punishment."
Bu... bu..but, it's the Work In Progress thread!

Help, help, I'm being repressed!

CJSF

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

TO: CPT WINTERS

YOU ARE HEREBY ORDERED TO CEASE AND DESIST YOUR CENSORSHIP OF UPDATE DISCUSSION WITH ALL HASTE STOP
Don't delay, join today!