Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

spacewhale

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by spacewhale »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:34 am
A spacesuit definitely helps.
Darth Poppins laughs at your hard scifi.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:12 am
You also have to remember that Teidar are highly trained killing machines with an attitude... they mostly don't appreciate attempts to use them as engineering solutions.

A PK would be able to perform spacewalks without tethers or maneuvering units, using telekinesis to "fly" between craft. I'm sure that's been done more than a few times. But you don't need to have lethal telekinetic power to be able to use it in that manner.
LOL. All space age technology has the potential to be very lethal... if it isn't... you won't be going to space today or tomorrow or the day after that.

That's just Loroi warrior culture getting in the way of engineering solutions if you ask me.

I have the mindset that if you have any sort of advantage you had better have a really good reason for not using it... and simply not wanting to because of cultual pride is not good enough for me, even though clearly it is for the space amazons.

I mean I have no problem at all exploiting every shot I get in any sort of competition I am any good at... I am naturally quite ruthless so long I care about winning... although in my adult years I have learned to tone it down a lot from how I was in high school (be kinder not meaner).

One more difference between the shells and the Loroi.. the Umiak in general would have little to no difficulty adopting novel methods without cultural pride hindering them in some way.

Granted given how far they take it, it seems extreme but I digress

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

There is no combat advantage to using a Teidar to save a little propellant on a space capsule for the de-orbit burn.

Using your most valuable battlefield assets in a (extremely hazardous) non-combat role in the place of a few kilograms of additional fuel is a very serious combat disadvantage.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:38 am
There is no combat advantage to using a Teidar to save a little propellant on a space capsule for the de-orbit burn.

Using your most valuable battlefield assets in a (extremely hazardous) non-combat role in the place of a few kilograms of additional fuel is a very serious combat disadvantage.

I meant for science... unless I am being led to believe that that even the Loroi version of NASA was just another wing of the military and was not really so much about science as it was war.

That paints a rather grim picture by the way of Loroi history... given humanity now can barely hold it together and the Loroi were even more warlike.

Perhaps their one saving grace of being bred for war is they would at least fare better than we did in the Twilight Zone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojei80_wvwM

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I would add that powerful as Teidar are, against other Loroi they are not as tough as one may think for several reasons.

A rampaging Teidar would have to contend with telepathic attacks from a larger group of non-Teidar which could overwhelm her at close range

Or she could try ranged atracks, but ranged weapons like both guns and RPGs would be enough to take down even a Teidar like Fireblade.

I mean I know Fireblade is tough but I know her exact power stats, and based on that alone... she is not stopping bullets like Neo from the Matrix... Fireblade would simply kill before anyone unloads a clip on her... she would have to or else.

Using RPGs against Fireblade would be kind of unwise since I can totally see Fireblade redirecting them back at the shooter.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

At least I do not think Fireblade has enough force to stop bullets in midair given the fact that bullers move at over a thousand miles an hour.... and Fireblade's force potential is something iver 300 kilograjs of force.

When bullets fly through the air, they do so at amazing speeds. The fastest bullets travel more than 2,600 feet per second. That's equivalent to over 1,800 miles per hour. To put that in perspective, it's amazing to realize that bullets travel over twice the speed of sound!

Wait... I probably am wrong after all.

A bullet hitting 300 kilograms of anything is enough to stop it in it's tracks... what Fireblade would not do is hold the bullets in midair... she would just let them drop.

I am not sure Fireblade could literally stop the metal hailstorm Neo has to block in Matrix 4, but a few bullets she should have no issue blocking inasmuch a bullet hitting 300 kilograms of anything will stop it.... or rather get stuck in it and stopped.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1dMip_riAbI

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Fireblade can easily throw Alex into a wall and her total capabilities ballpark around being able to toss a car. She can be Neo all fucking day against gunfire.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:04 am
Arioch wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:38 am

I meant for science... unless I am being led to believe that that even the Loroi version of NASA was just another wing of the military and was not really so much about science as it was war.
The Loroi are a warrior culture run by a military government... pretty much all institutions under the control of the government are military. But that's entirely beside the point at hand. Teidar-class PK's are a very rare and valuable resource, and replacing a little extra propellant with a similar mass of Teidar is not an effective allocation of resources. You don't replace a glass lens with a diamond unless you have a really compelling reason to do so.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

spacewhale wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:46 am
Arioch wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:34 am
A spacesuit definitely helps.
Darth Poppins laughs at your hard scifi.
Fake. The real one has an umbrella saber.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Arioch,
How many chromosome pairs do Loroi have?
Do loroi females have an XX and males have an XY chromosome?
Is their genetic material traceable to that of their world of origin? Human DNA for instance carries a lot of viral and evolutionary baggage. Some of it active and necessary (for instance for a fetus to develop). Finding (bits of) that in Loroi DNA could link them to a planet of origin. Or is it cleansed or maybe completely rewritten?
Is their genetic code a binary helix like ours?
If yes: are the proteins that make up their code the same as ours?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

G. Janssen wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:02 am
Is their genetic material traceable to that of their world of origin? Human DNA for instance carries a lot of viral and evolutionary baggage. Some of it active and necessary (for instance for a fetus to develop). Finding (bits of) that in Loroi DNA could link them to a planet of origin. Or is it cleansed or maybe completely rewritten?
Although Loroi and humans look outwardly very similar, the Loroi have a biochemistry that's completely alien. I'm not sure exactly what the chemical composition of the Loroi genetic material is, but even if it is DNA, I think it's unlikely that an alien organism would have chromosomal structures (or other internal cellular machinery) that are exactly like ours. The sex determination mechanism would probably also be different from our XX/XY system.

The Loroi are one member of a biological group called the Soia-liron, which share very similar biochemical systems, cellular structures and low-level genetic code; this group includes the Barsam, Neridi, and the Soia-era colony livestock such as the miros, tirriti, misesa, sibreg and nagen. Though these organisms are found all over the Local Bubble, this biochemistry doesn't match the native biome of any known planet, so if they did originate on the same planet, it lies outside known territory (or was completely sanitized of life, which is hard to do).

Another shared characteristic of the Soia-liron species is that their genomes lack the genetic clutter that most naturally evolved organisms have, indicating that either their genes were artificially "scrubbed" of mutations and inactive code, or else they were completely engineered. This means that Loroi are less prone to genetic disorders, but also that they are slower to adapt through mutation, as there is less dormant code to be randomly reactivated. It also means that genetic paleontology that tracks shared mutations in order to identify common ancestry and to estimate dates of genetic divergences doesn't work when investigating Loroi history prior to the end of the Soia era some 200,000 years ago, when such mutations were still (it would seem) being artificially removed.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:46 pm
G. Janssen wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:02 am
Although Loroi and humans look outwardly very similar, the Loroi have a biochemistry that's completely alien. I'm not sure exactly what the chemical composition of the Loroi genetic material is, but even if it is DNA, I think it's unlikely that an alien organism would have chromosomal structures (or other internal cellular machinery) that are exactly like ours. The sex determination mechanism would probably also be different from our XX/XY system.

The Loroi are one member of a biological group called the Soia-liron, which share very similar biochemical systems, cellular structures and low-level genetic code; this group includes the Barsam, Neridi, and the Soia-era colony livestock such as the miros, tirriti, misesa, sibreg and nagen. Though these organisms are found all over the Local Bubble, this biochemistry doesn't match the native biome of any known planet, so if they did originate on the same planet, it lies outside known territory (or was completely sanitized of life, which is hard to do).

Another shared characteristic of the Soia-liron species is that their genomes lack the genetic clutter that most naturally evolved organisms have, indicating that either their genes were artificially "scrubbed" of mutations and inactive code, or else they were completely engineered. This means that Loroi are less prone to genetic disorders, but also that they are slower to adapt through mutation, as there is less dormant code to be randomly reactivated. It also means that genetic paleontology that tracks shared mutations in order to identify common ancestry and to estimate dates of genetic divergences doesn't work when investigating Loroi history prior to the end of the Soia era some 200,000 years ago, when such mutations were still (it would seem) being artificially removed.
Yesss... To be honest, I had hoped for something more than copypasta from the Insider page. Some additional info. But it's okay, I can work with this.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

But it's okay, I can work with this.
Making leaps and bounds with the home CRISPR kit it sounds like.

If we're gonna mine into Insider, I want to know what the heck the censored parts of Tempo's GURPs sheet were. Maybe Coulrophobia. Perhaps the Loroi never invented Clowns and will finally meet them.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

spacewhale wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:12 pm
But it's okay, I can work with this.
Making leaps and bounds with the home CRISPR kit it sounds like.
That's a part of it. I'm tinkering with the idea of translating the information that DNA represents to produce loroi/human diaper horrors when the mother is loroi and human/loroi crib monsters when the mother is human.

It's the information that counts, not the proteins that carry it. So, at best it's partial, indirect offspring as far as the father is concerned. His genetic material is useless, but the information it carries can be transcribed on loroi genetic material.

Take human gamete -> extract genetic material -> extract info from genetic material -> translate -> transcribe selected translated info on loroi genetic material -> insert genetic material into loroi gamete.

The kid would have two fathers. One that provides the gamete or equivalent and one that provides the altered genetic information.

Beryl & (Alex & ???) will have a blue kid with round ears, blonde hair, blue eyes, poor talent for sanzai, half a loroi's lifespan, several food allergies, trauma's due to being bullied in the creche for looking different and large feet.

Hey, I didn't say the result would be pretty.
Last edited by G. Janssen on Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

spacewhale wrote:
Perhaps the Loroi never invented Clowns and will finally meet them.
I still don't understand why humans moved clowns out of the circuses and made them world leaders.

Moon Moth

Post by Moon Moth »

G. Janssen wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:11 pm
I still don't understand why humans moved clowns out of the circuses and made them world leaders.
To increase user engagement metrics, by doing whatever it takes to get people to frantically hit "refresh" to find out what our world leaders have done now? I remember the good old days when all of this attention was focused on movie stars and British royalty.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

G. Janssen wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:11 pm
spacewhale wrote:
Perhaps the Loroi never invented Clowns and will finally meet them.
Because this way they can make the whole world over laugh.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

This is less a question and more an assumption.

The following DS9 was a scene basically forced upon the main characters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XvrpEx6H4

I would laugh if Stillstorm and her crew were put in place of Sisko just seeing how they would react.

I imagine Stilly may roll her eyes or otherwise protest not unlike Sisko before complying.

Spiral on the other hand... that girl will will probably enjoy it lol.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

How would a battle of Teidar vs. Teidar work out? Could they sense each other's telekinetic attacks? Is it possible to dodge, block, disperse, or even intercept them with a counter-blast?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:42 pm
How would a battle of Teidar vs. Teidar work out? Could they sense each other's telekinetic attacks? Is it possible to dodge, block, disperse, or even intercept them with a counter-blast?

I am not Arioch but I am guessing... yeah.