WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

javcs

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by javcs »

What about the hair?

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

according to old conversations and concepts, the long hair either gets tucked away (in heavy armour) or in normal armour it goes through an iris thing to form a seal.
Alternatively, they could use the secret of personal shielding to hold air close to their body and thus protect their hair with the same technology...
But we're trying to live in a universe thats semi-realistic.

Actually if we put all hair into armour as the rule when in vacuum sealed form (which could be done VERY quickly with appropriate rollers and such), then there would be a marked preference of Lori with long hair to avoid vacuum situations, if only to keep their hair sorted.
Or we could just cut it off with rapid moving razor blades on the 'seals' but i don't think we want fireblade mostly bald in the event of a hull breach

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

javcs wrote:What about the hair?
Outside? That´s just a wig, so they can find their assigned helmets faster in case of emergency.
sapere aude.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Arioch wrote:
NOMAD wrote:well, Gary Storm in the flesh, nice to see.
HAHAHAHA. "Gary Storm" sounds like a puppet character from Thunderbirds.

It's just a concept. Nothing's final.
Argh, well want to do expect from the guy you accidentally invented "telepanty" :oops: , oh well I least you got laugh out of it.

and Thunderbirds ? didn't think about that one
Arioch wrote:
NOMAD wrote: and fire blades armor could be the Teidar heavy ( or standard) infantry armor ?
Yeah, it's standard Loroi combat armor.
thxs.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Sanguinius

Post by Sanguinius »

Solemn wrote:
Count Casimir wrote:Greywind is not the ultra-hottie I thought she was from her concept
Well, let's compare.

versus

She doesn't look so different to me.
Where are you getting that image from? I can't find it on the website.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Sanguinius wrote:Where are you getting that image from? I can't find it on the website.
There´s no direct link. But have a look at the url of both pics... ;)
sapere aude.

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Trantor wrote:
Sanguinius wrote:Where are you getting that image from? I can't find it on the website.
Arioch! :lol: You Magnificent Bastard! 8-)
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Durabys wrote:
Trantor wrote:
Arioch! :lol: You Magnificent Bastard! 8-)
You have no idea.

This site is seriously full of hidden fun stuff.

The first time I crawled through it, it was like finding the Marathon's Story page for the first time again.
Back in my day, before speedy internet and reliable and effective search engines, when many interesting sites were made by people who either didn't quite know how to make a site navigable (or just plain didn't think too many outsiders would want to look through them), we had to learn how to crawl through those sites on our own. Across twenty miles of rough html under six feet of malformed css, uphill and against the wind both ways.

It built character.
SpoilerShow
If you need a hint, consider Trantor's advice.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Solemn wrote:Back in my day, before speedy internet and reliable and effective search engines, when many interesting sites were made by people who either didn't quite know how to make a site navigable (or just plain didn't think too many outsiders would want to look through them), we had to learn how to crawl through those sites on our own. Across twenty miles of rough html under six feet of malformed css, uphill and against the wind both ways.

It built character.
Geez, you sound like Grandpa talking ´bout the 2nd WW... :lol:

Pi**ing contest on: In MY heydays there weren´t even browsers! :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: ;)
Solemn wrote:If you need a hint, consider Trantor's advice.
Oh. I just didn´t post an url because i don´t know if Arioch appreciates it? After all, he didn´t set one.
Last edited by Trantor on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sapere aude.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Oh, Hello there:

sapere aude.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Looks like Reed's a new face.

I'm wondering if she's a Teidar, or if Loroi combat armor is actually standardized for all castes so Soroin and Teidar and so on could be expected to look the same.

Aren't Teidar expected to avoid speech or something?
Trantor wrote:Oh. I just didn´t post an url because i don´t know if Arioch appreciates it? After all, he didn´t set one.
Oh. Didn't really consider that it could make offense.

Then again, Arioch already has much better reasons to hate me What's one more raindrop in a storm?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

When I post something on the site or on this or other forums, the images generally go into /gallery/images/ or /temp/. I leave the image directories open mainly because it's most convenient for me that way, but of course you're welcome to poke around in there... just be aware that a lot of what you see may be outdated, or have nothing to do with Outsider.

A lot of what you'll see that isn't linked to from the main site was once posted on the old forums; the Greywind thumbnail sheet that Solemn posted is an example of this. If you're looking for concepts, they most often begin with the "x_" or "n_" prefix.

At some point, probably when I revamp the gallery, I'll move all the Outsider-specific stuff under /outsider/images/ where it belongs. But I'm too lazy for that right now.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Aw man, Reed's pretty cute.

GONNA KILL HER TOO, ARIOCH? :cry:
Ashrain is best rain.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Outsider has a pretty large bodycount... this isn't one of those war stories where nobody seems to get killed. Be prepared. ;)

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Arioch wrote:Outsider has a pretty large bodycount... this isn't one of those war stories where nobody seems to get killed. Be prepared. ;)
Make us a promise.

Please.

Do not kill off Alex.

I would like to see him as an old man telling stories of a War in Heaven to his grandchildren.

OR

... an eye-circles having older-looking Loroi woman, with white hair and blue skin, is visiting a terran grave and places a Loroi traditional burial medailon/trinket on top of the grave ... with an inscription in the Trade Language on the backside of it: "I was fortunate and happy to be your friend, Guardian of the Garden. Beryl." *this being several T-centuries after Alex's death*
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Durabys wrote:Do not kill off Alex.
Alex is the narrator, and Alex's narrator voice sounds older and a bit contemptuous of his younger self.

I don't think there's much need to worry about that.

Sanguinius

Post by Sanguinius »

Durabys wrote:
Arioch wrote:Outsider has a pretty large bodycount... this isn't one of those war stories where nobody seems to get killed. Be prepared. ;)
Make us a promise.

Please.

Do not kill off Alex.

I would like to see him as an old man telling stories of a War in Heaven to his grandchildren.

OR

... an eye-circles having older-looking Loroi woman, with white hair and blue skin, is visiting a terran grave and places a Loroi traditional burial medailon/trinket on top of the grave ... with an inscription in the Trade Language on the backside of it: "I was fortunate and happy to be your friend, Guardian of the Garden. Beryl." *this being several T-centuries after Alex's death*
I think what you want is the Ur Quan Masters ending:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAP-mtoC ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgPZyEN ... re=related

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Work In Progress thread.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Trantor wrote: Pi**ing contest on: In MY heydays there weren´t even browsers! :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: ;)
*Put his dentures back in his mouth.*

The "inter what now?" ah you ungrateful young, in my day we only had stick and string. to entertain our-self. And even then we sometime ran out of string! We then had to walk 200 Miles to get some more string. The roll of string cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Then you had to take a canoe, because there were no road, just wild river. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was to avoid being attacked by tiger, because we all knew tiger hated onion. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Hey! were you going you young insolent!

@Sanguinius
YEAH!! finnaly i wont have to finish this time consuming and frustrating (but yet interresting) game thank you Sanguinius!

junk

Post by junk »

You have no idea.
This site is seriously full of hidden fun stuff.
The first time I crawled through it, it was like finding the Marathon's Story page for the first time again.
Back in my day, before speedy internet and reliable and effective search engines, when many interesting sites were made by people who either didn't quite know how to make a site navigable (or just plain didn't think too many outsiders would want to look through them), we had to learn how to crawl through those sites on our own. Across twenty miles of rough html under six feet of malformed css, uphill and against the wind both ways.

It built character.
SpoilerShow
If you need a hint, consider Trantor's advice.
Yeah and then bastards begin putting empty index html's into their folders :( :D