Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

Murica wrote:Do the lorii have a militia system? In other words if some members warrior caste were cut off would they be allowed by there honour code to conscript civilian caste members into a militia?
No.

Conscripts are of very limited use in a high-tech military anyway.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Shields for the trained soldiers.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:Shields for the trained soldiers.
At this tech level, I think they'd be more likely to get the real soldiers killed than to help in any way.

Especially considering that the important fighting is being done aboard ship.

Murica

Post by Murica »

I took a look at lorii shielding and I'm wondering would the lorii be willing to give human forces some tech for older shields? since I'm sure even the oldest model of shields would greatly improve human ship based survivability also would the lorii be willing to give Humans a few older ships like the Halberd class ? I believe personally that it would benifit the lorii greatly for humans to be able to defend itself which would further spread out umiak forces while not spreading lorii forces

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Murica wrote:I took a look at lorii shielding and I'm wondering would the lorii be willing to give human forces some tech for older shields? since I'm sure even the oldest model of shields would greatly improve human ship based survivability also would the lorii be willing to give Humans a few older ships like the Halberd class ? I believe personally that it would benifit the lorii greatly for humans to be able to defend itself which would further spread out umiak forces while not spreading lorii forces

Get in a war and give gun and armor to those native orphan please

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Murica wrote:I took a look at lorii shielding and I'm wondering would the lorii be willing to give human forces some tech for older shields? since I'm sure even the oldest model of shields would greatly improve human ship based survivability also would the lorii be willing to give Humans a few older ships like the Halberd class ? I believe personally that it would benifit the lorii greatly for humans to be able to defend itself which would further spread out umiak forces while not spreading lorii forces
I think that, hypothetically, the quickest and biggest-bang-for-the-buck upgrades you could do to Terran warships would be to give them basic screen generators and modern torpedoes.

As for the specifics, you're talking about agreements that don't yet exist, the negotiation of which would be key elements of the story.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I just don't see how, without significant help (which the Loroi might be very reluctant to provide), Terran forces would be little more than metaphorical Redshirts in any situation in this war. Or perhaps Redshirts isn't the most apt analogy. Maybe just good ol' fashioned cannon fodder.

CJSF

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

We aren't likely to be front-line fighters unless the Loroi see fit to take us on their ships. We aren't going to be important in the short-term for military capability, if we're important at all in the short-term it will be for some other reason.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

If our biospheres are compatible enough, maybe as a distant colony world to buffer their species if the war goes poorly for them and the Umiak break through to the sister worlds. Then they have a working biome, plenty of workers and resources.

CJSF

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

cacambo43 wrote:If our biospheres are compatible enough, maybe as a distant colony world to buffer their species if the war goes poorly for them and the Umiak break through to the sister worlds. Then they have a working biome, plenty of workers and resources.

CJSF

Considering that the orgus told the human that the war was moving toward earth sectors. i dont think that would be a viable plan in the long run.

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

Do the Loroi have an equivalent of cats, dogs, horses, or other domesticated animals? Or does it vary from planet to planet?

And, if so, can they be taught to fetch?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

See here and here (earlier in this very thread).

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

How would the Loroi react to an assassination?

Has there ever been a Loroi who could not communicate telepathically from birth? Or someone who's thoughts could be heard, but cannot hear those of others? Or vice versa?

If, say, a Loroi suffered some sort of trauma (brain damage, torture, electroshock therapy, etc.) that didn't cause their sanzai to be painful to others, would that mean that their names would change, due to the literal alteration of their brain structure (and possibly their mental signature)?

Due to the very unique (and highly advantageous) nature of the Listel caste, is there some sort of protocol wherein, if a ship is in danger of destruction or of being boarded, one of the Listels can act as a 'black box' and flee the ship, carrying all the information that the crew had aboard the ship?

Also, how would the Loroi react to the concept of 'getting a song stuck in your head'?

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

Do you can say a few words about loroi culinary? And give one-two simple loroi recipes)

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Alexandr Koori wrote:Do you can say a few words about loroi culinary? And give one-two simple loroi recipes)
Actually, this reminded me of a question I had a few months ago. Given the biochemical differences between the Loroi and humans, has Alex actually derived any nutrition from the food he's been given that he's been able to keep down? Might he actually be starving?

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jakelope13 wrote:How would the Loroi react to an assassination?
I don't think they would react any differently than a human would.
Jakelope13 wrote:Has there ever been a Loroi who could not communicate telepathically from birth? Or someone who's thoughts could be heard, but cannot hear those of others? Or vice versa?
Telepathic mutes exist, but are rare. Medical technology is at a high enough level that birth defects can usually be detected early, and the fetus is either repaired or terminated.
Jakelope13 wrote:If, say, a Loroi suffered some sort of trauma (brain damage, torture, electroshock therapy, etc.) that didn't cause their sanzai to be painful to others, would that mean that their names would change, due to the literal alteration of their brain structure (and possibly their mental signature)?
Possibly.
Jakelope13 wrote:Due to the very unique (and highly advantageous) nature of the Listel caste, is there some sort of protocol wherein, if a ship is in danger of destruction or of being boarded, one of the Listels can act as a 'black box' and flee the ship, carrying all the information that the crew had aboard the ship?
I doubt it. In most situations I can think of in which a ship would be in imminent danger of loss due to enemy action, an escape pod or shuttle would not have much chance of survival.
Jakelope13 wrote:Also, how would the Loroi react to the concept of 'getting a song stuck in your head'?
I don't imagine any special reaction other than puzzlement.
Alexandr Koori wrote:Do you can say a few words about loroi culinary? And give one-two simple loroi recipes)
Loroi typically eat once per day, and dining is very informal and meals are often grabbed on-the-job without utensils. Zaral cuisine (Western Deinar) is very popular aboard ship, with lots of on-the-go finger foods like dumplings and filled buns. The pozet is a piroshki-like misesa-bread bun typically stuffed with spiced miros meat and mashed bizal (a tuber). Fried dumplings are common snacks, filled with bizal or dried sibreg (the fruit Alex is holding on the Chapter 2 cover).

Perrein has a variety of native lifeforms and therefore a variety of unusual recipes, and the Perrein cultures have more of a tradition of group dining than the Deinar Loroi. The flesh of sori (the class of Perrein organisms to which the climbing squid-thing belongs) doesn't cook well, so they make pickles out of various body parts, which are (in)famous for their pungent odor. Dogos are bioluminescent fungus-like organisms that grow in the Perrein shadowlands and also grow well aboard ship, and so are a common fresh ingredient or side dish in shipboard cooking.
cacambo43 wrote:Given the biochemical differences between the Loroi and humans, has Alex actually derived any nutrition from the food he's been given that he's been able to keep down? Might he actually be starving?
Alex has been having trouble keeping food down. It is a problem which will require addressing.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I would assume by dying.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:
I would assume by dying.
Oh, that Loroi. :D

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Do Loroli have any equivalent to special forces, or commando units, and what missions would they specialize in?

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

What Fireblade likes - salted or sweet?