Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ShadowDragon8685

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:What about the sleeping-whilst-touching thing? Or is that something you don't know/don't want to spoil it for us?
There's no cut and dry answer, as we're entering the realm of the subconscious. Normal Loroi have a certain degree of mental discipline that guards mental activity even when unconscious (so that they don't babble telepathically while asleep, and are not completely open to telepathic attack when asleep), but this protection isn't perfect and the physical link is a very intimate telepathic contact.

Does it ever happen? Sure.
Would two linked Loroi who fell asleep continue to communicate subconsciously? Maybe so, maybe not.
If one linked Loroi started to dream, would the other pick up on it? Maybe so, maybe not.

There are some cases of this kind of things happening in the story, so I don't want to walk too far down the path of specific examples.
Ah. So it's a big old "Sure, that can happen, but it's not a guarantee." Gotcha. Iiiinteresting, even. :)

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok Arioch since we're on the subject ...sort of... GURPS Psionics has a cavalcade of psi powers and psi skills... are there any specific forms of those presented psionic talents and skills in GURPS that are absolutely NOT in the Outsider universe... say like the telepathic power psi skill - Mindsword?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Ok Arioch since we're on the subject ...sort of... GURPS Psionics has a cavalcade of psi powers and psi skills... are there any specific forms of those presented psionic talents and skills in GURPS that are absolutely NOT in the Outsider universe... say like the telepathic power psi skill - Mindsword?
I included pretty much everything from the GURPS psi list that I thought made sense in the setting, so if there's a GURPS psi ability that's not mentioned in my telepathy or psychokinesis pages, then that pretty much means that it's either not possible in Outsider or the mechanism doesn't accurately describe the Outsider version.

If I recall correctly, Mindsword is doing physical damage with telepathy, and that's just not possible in Outsider.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok, yeah they mention in GURPS psi.. the 'World Jumper' ability.. but don't actually detail it... thanks!

That's VERY interesting.. I wander what Loroi perceive when those with the talent use teleportation?

"LIBERATE TU~", ulp.. sorry! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I guess I wasn't clear... I was saying that GURPS psi abilities do NOT exist in Outsider (unless they're specifically mentioned in my psychokinesis or telepathy pages). So, no teleportation or ESP or whatever else they have in there.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

AH..ok.. now I get it.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I was kinda hoping you'd have something to say about the two reprints of Telekinesis I posted earlier :P
Don't delay, join today!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Also, the Insider index hasn't been updated to show the proper last update dates for the three warship pages.
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:I was kinda hoping you'd have something to say about the two reprints of Telekinesis I posted earlier
Not sure what you're referring to.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok.. Now I've gotten it right!

Apparently there was a built-in calculation error in the original Excel GURPS sheet that calculated 10 more points of disadvantages than were actually there. So my purchases were off. Meaning I spent more on skills than I actually had.

The result is with the Export sheet of Beryl that Arioch so graciously provided.. Stormrage is actually at the start age 18.5. I was almost on the money with my original 19 Age..so it fits with GURPS as well! :)

So.. by the time of the end of the Cydonia's return to Earth and the Events in~ "What to do With Jardin: Argent Fire"... 5 years have passed and as such I advanced Stormrage 10 experience points - 2 per year.

And here they both are...!

Stormrage {Tempest} GURPS:
SpoilerShow
Stormrage {Cydonia} GURPS:
SpoilerShow
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

ShadowDragon8685

About how long is a Solon?

I know that the Insider describes it as "a bit longer than one second" and "one heartbeat." One heartbeat seems an unusually imprecise thing to ascribe a measurement of time to, unless Loroi are so incredibly overengineered that their heartrate never fluctuates, either between individuals or in the same individual depending on their state, whether at rest, in the heat of battle, running for their lives, or engaging in orbital skydiving.

I am presuming that Loroi heartrates do differ, both by state and between individuals (though probably not as much as human heartrates do,) but that "one heartbeat" was used as a rule of thumb for millenia before it was scientifically and officially defined by the Loroi scientific community.

Anyway, I've just been using 1.1 as a multiplier. IE, to express one half-hour of UTC, I multiply 60 (seconds) by 30 (human minutes) by 1.1 to arrive at 1,980 solon, and then round the results as appropriate (IE, 2,000.) Am I way off base, or in the region of on-target there?

Also, do Loroi partake of orbital skydiving? That seems like Talon's kind of sport to me, orbital wingsuiting whilst blasting the Loroi equavilent of The Prodigy over her helmet. (Do Loroi have deathmetal bands? Will they have after formal first contact? :))

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:About how long is a Solon?

I know that the Insider describes it as "a bit longer than one second" and "one heartbeat." One heartbeat seems an unusually imprecise thing to ascribe a measurement of time to, unless Loroi are so incredibly overengineered that their heartrate never fluctuates, either between individuals or in the same individual depending on their state, whether at rest, in the heat of battle, running for their lives, or engaging in orbital skydiving.

I am presuming that Loroi heartrates do differ, both by state and between individuals (though probably not as much as human heartrates do,) but that "one heartbeat" was used as a rule of thumb for millenia before it was scientifically and officially defined by the Loroi scientific community.

Anyway, I've just been using 1.1 as a multiplier. IE, to express one half-hour of UTC, I multiply 60 (seconds) by 30 (human minutes) by 1.1 to arrive at 1,980 solon, and then round the results as appropriate (IE, 2,000.) Am I way off base, or in the region of on-target there?
1 solon “beat”: one heartbeat, 1.092 seconds. The average rest heartbeat for a female Loroi is approx. 55 beats per minute.
1 bima “moment” = 1 dinosolon = 64 solon (70 seconds). Infrequently used unit between beat and cycle.
1 digel “cycle” 1 danzosolon = 1 dinobima = 64 bima = 8 nestasolon = 4096 solon = 4473 seconds (1.25 hours)
1 tibos “day” = 21 digel = 26.09 Earth hours
1 nanapi “transit”= 241.92 hours (10.08 Earth days)
1 mannal “pace” = 0.776 m
1 malir solon “radiance beat”~= 1.1 light second, 327,373 km.
1 Deinar sina “Deinar gravity” or “standard gravity”: 9.216 m/s^2, ~= 0.94G
1 nasitosdal sina “shipboard gravity” = 7/8 (0.875) standard gravity = 0.82G
1 Deinar tozon = one Deinar year, similar to one Earth year
1 nistil tozon = “standard year;” 44 months (22,195,037 seconds, 256.887 Earth days, 0.7033 Earth years)

ShadowDragon8685

Tamri wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:About how long is a Solon?

1 solon “beat”: one heartbeat, 1.092 seconds. The average rest heartbeat for a female Loroi is approx. 55 beats per minute.
1 bima “moment” = 1 dinosolon = 64 solon (70 seconds). Infrequently used unit between beat and cycle.
1 digel “cycle” 1 danzosolon = 1 dinobima = 64 bima = 8 nestasolon = 4096 solon = 4473 seconds (1.25 hours)
1 tibos “day” = 21 digel = 26.09 Earth hours
1 nanapi “transit”= 241.92 hours (10.08 Earth days)
1 mannal “pace” = 0.776 m
1 malir solon “radiance beat”~= 1.1 light second, 327,373 km.
1 Deinar sina “Deinar gravity” or “standard gravity”: 9.216 m/s^2, ~= 0.94G
1 nasitosdal sina “shipboard gravity” = 7/8 (0.875) standard gravity = 0.82G
1 Deinar tozon = one Deinar year, similar to one Earth year
1 nistil tozon = “standard year;” 44 months (22,195,037 seconds, 256.887 Earth days, 0.7033 Earth years)
... Did I miss that when I was searching the Insider?
I feel like such a flaming moron.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: ... Did I miss that when I was searching the Insider?
I feel like such a flaming moron.
No, it's in this thread, almost in start. Here, skroling little down.

Krulle

<- click this triangle for specific post URL.

Post by Krulle »

I want empty lines on top
of this post.
but it does not work, why? [edit: now, with this second set it does[/edit]
The list cited by Tamri is in this post.

@Tamri: To get the link of a specific post, click the triangle left of the post title.

[edit]Indirectly, it also appears in this insider post, just not as easily digestible. The value for Solon is there, at least.[/edit]
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:I was kinda hoping you'd have something to say about the two reprints of Telekinesis I posted earlier
Not sure what you're referring to.
*boop*
Don't delay, join today!

ShadowDragon8685

A forum search didn't turn up anything, so, I've gotta ask...

What is that handle-looking thing on the back of the Tenoin flight armor? Is it literally just a handle for someone to assist one of them into/out of a cockpit with, or is it like, their suit life support systems or something?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:What is that handle-looking thing on the back of the Tenoin flight armor? Is it literally just a handle for someone to assist one of them into/out of a cockpit with, or is it like, their suit life support systems or something?
It's a tube/harness that can attach to the base of the helmet; it feeds the liquid breathing medium to the helmet and locks it in place, so that the weight of the helmet doesn't break the pilot's neck under heavy G-stress.

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:What is that handle-looking thing on the back of the Tenoin flight armor? Is it literally just a handle for someone to assist one of them into/out of a cockpit with, or is it like, their suit life support systems or something?
It's a tube/harness that can attach to the base of the helmet; it feeds the liquid breathing medium to the helmet and locks it in place, so that the weight of the helmet doesn't break the pilot's neck under heavy G-stress.
Oooooooh...

For some reason, I thought 'liquid breathing medium' fully filled the cockpit.

ShadowDragon8685

Sorry for all the completely random questions, but...

1: Loroi are said to have highly efficient digestive systems, and only need to eat once a day. Does this mean they can somehow be as active as a human on far fewer calories/protein/etc, or that they can eat one super-nutrient-packed meal and it lasts them all day? If so, do they necessarily always do so, or do they sometimes/often/rarely eat smaller meals more often?

2: Do Loroi drink tea, or is it just something other races drink? If so, does it have the same sort of implications/status as human tea? Think "Hikaru Sulu drinking a cup of tea on the bridge of Excelsior during the opening of The Undiscovered Country." If so, would Stillstorm in particular drink a cuppa on the bridge when all was quiet?