Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by sunphoenix »

Man.. I'm Really fighting with this GURPS Excel sheet to make it do what I want... pain in the butt!

Its NOT going to look like the posted sheets for Beryl, Fireblade and Tempo..but I will be close.. I think.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Here's another one for you: What happens if two Loroi fall asleep whilst in skin contact with one another? I mean, I imagine that that's hella unlikely in the current state of their civilization, but it's gotta be happening somewhere in a huge civilization with billions of individuals. Some deviants somewhere (probably Maia,) are gonna attract one another and start doing things the civ at large frowns upon.

Would they like, wind up sharing dreams?
Really? You can't envision any scenario, particularly in a war, where two people might fall asleep, skin-to-skin, other than something "deviant" (implied sexual)? None at all? No dire circumstances where two comrades might be forced, physically or emotionally, to bond or touch, and then might fall asleep? Maybe exhausted, maybe not? Is the taboo THAT strong (Arioch?)?

CJSF

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok.. I've got Stormrage converted and built in GURPS... on sheet and everything but how do I post it like you have Fireblade's sheet Arioch? Do I convert the exel sheet...somehow to a picture file or what?
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

cacambo43 wrote:Really? You can't envision any scenario, particularly in a war, where two people might fall asleep, skin-to-skin, other than something "deviant" (implied sexual)? None at all? No dire circumstances where two comrades might be forced, physically or emotionally, to bond or touch, and then might fall asleep? Maybe exhausted, maybe not? Is the taboo THAT strong (Arioch?)?

CJSF
The deviancy doesn't have to be sexual in nature to deviate radically from the societal norms. Sleeping together, skin-to-skin, for a highly telepathic race which is notably averse to skin contact except with their closest friends?

I'd expect the taboo is, indeed, normally that strong. You wouldn't want to be far from your closest friends in a war, but the idea of sleeping with full-bore, full-throttle psychic connections?

Like I said, I'm sure it's happening, but it's probably pretty damn rare.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Ok.. I've got Stormrage converted and built in GURPS... on sheet and everything but how do I post it like you have Fireblade's sheet Arioch? Do I convert the exel sheet...somehow to a picture file or what?
I just took screenshots of the spreadsheet.

I'm guessing you could probably export it as PDF if you wanted to.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:Ok.. I've got Stormrage converted and built in GURPS... on sheet and everything but how do I post it like you have Fireblade's sheet Arioch? Do I convert the exel sheet...somehow to a picture file or what?
I just took screenshots of the spreadsheet.

I'm guessing you could probably export it as PDF if you wanted to.
I got this.. any suggestions on how to make it perhaps clearer?

Stormrage {Tempest, pre-Cydonia} GURPS:
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Perhaps my comments came over a bit more harsh than I intended (I'm working on little sleep and high stress), so I apologize for that, though not the content. I can see your point, though, but in any case all this is a distraction from the actual question: what would happen if 2 Loroi were asleep and dreaming, while is physical contact? It's probably not germane to the story, so maybe Arioch hasn't thought about it.

CJSF

discord

Post by discord »

http://gurpscharactersheet.com/ <--- admittedly 4th edition, but a damn good digital character sheet.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:I got this.. any suggestions on how to make it perhaps clearer?

Probably would be more readable if it was slightly larger. I took the screenshots in two sections and then stitched them together.

Isn't there a limit on skill points of (age x 2) points?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:I got this.. any suggestions on how to make it perhaps clearer?

Probably would be more readable if it was slightly larger. I took the screenshots in two sections and then stitched them together.

Isn't there a limit on skill points of (age x 2) points?
You are absolutely correct!

When I first thought up a Loroi Teidar character I, well first did not realize you had already named the pLoroi in the picture I was going to use..my bad..lol; though I expect by this time you have named every loroi that you have drawn in the comic {snicker}. But I knew that Loroi were really young as they mature very quickly so I just picked an age that seemed appropriately young 'enough'. But since I have stated her out in GURPs..yeah she should actually be age 26..one year older than Fireblade. I'll fix it. I also forgot to add a couple of additional items she would carry on her person... and I forgot to actually calculate her encumbrance.

Thanks for the advice.. I'll see if my image hosting site can increase the size of the linked image!

Hmm.. but I also notice your character sheets for Fireblade, Tempo and Beryl are different from the Excel sheet I'm using. If I'm going to do a Post-Cydonia version of Stormrage.. I'll need more space than the sheet I have provides. :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Hmm.. but I also notice your character sheets for Fireblade, Tempo and Beryl are different from the Excel sheet I'm using. If I'm going to do a Post-Cydonia version of Stormrage.. I'll need more space than the sheet I have provides. :)
Yeah, sorry... the various versions of the file changed a lot over time, and the blank template no longer looks like the populated character sheets.

Here's an export of Beryl's sheet:
http://well-of-souls.com/temp/gurps_beryl_export.xls

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Oh Wow.. Thank you! :)

Lol... now I need to start over...{grin}!

This will help A LOT!

I used a different hosting site for this one..it 'seems' a little sharper... but it likely still too small.

SpoilerShow
Huh..?!? That's not right.. hang on...

OK.. now I got the right one uploaded. Meh.. still too small in my opinion. I'll keep working on it.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Now it your get older than Leinnol. While judging from their relationship, it should be under a year or two. In my opinion.

ShadowDragon8685

I just had a thought: How do Loroi render their spoken names in languages other than Loroi trade?

IE, if Beryl were speaking English to Alex, would her spoken name be rendered as the English word "Beryl," or would it be rendered as the Loroi Trade word "Eilis" used in English as a proper noun?

It seems to me that their spoken names are linked to the telepathic concepts of their spoken names, and they would consider it more proper to use the word for that concept in the spoken language at hand... Some of them might even take some joy in learning how their spoken name would be rendered in many different languages... But I could well be entirely off-base.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I just had a thought: How do Loroi render their spoken names in languages other than Loroi trade?

IE, if Beryl were speaking English to Alex, would her spoken name be rendered as the English word "Beryl," or would it be rendered as the Loroi Trade word "Eilis" used in English as a proper noun?

It seems to me that their spoken names are linked to the telepathic concepts of their spoken names, and they would consider it more proper to use the word for that concept in the spoken language at hand... Some of them might even take some joy in learning how their spoken name would be rendered in many different languages... But I could well be entirely off-base.
I think that's a question for any language in which the names are literal. I guess it would depend on the individual and the situation. Most Loroi don't place much importance on the spoken words themselves (and most would never learn a second language even at gunpoint), so someone like Beryl would probably translate her name into English for maximum clarity. But, a hypothetical Loroi character who was trying to assimilate into a society like ours (in which the names have obscure meanings and have become mostly tokens rather than words) might use the Trade name if it was easily pronounceable.

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I just had a thought: How do Loroi render their spoken names in languages other than Loroi trade?

I think that's a question for any language in which the names are literal. I guess it would depend on the individual and the situation. Most Loroi don't place much importance on the spoken words themselves (and most would never learn a second language even at gunpoint), so someone like Beryl would probably translate her name into English for maximum clarity. But, a hypothetical Loroi character who was trying to assimilate into a society like ours (in which the names have obscure meanings and have become mostly tokens rather than words) might use the Trade name if it was easily pronounceable.
The bolded bit made me laugh for so long. I needed a laff like that.

What about the sleeping-whilst-touching thing? Or is that something you don't know/don't want to spoil it for us?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Fifty bucks that the brass get confused and start calling her Beryl Ellis. *shot*
Don't delay, join today!

ShadowDragon8685

Carl Miller wrote:Fifty bucks that the brass get confused and start calling her Beryl Ellis. *shot*
... Shit, if I gotta bet against that, I want odds. If I can bet for it, you're on, but we need to find a suckerbookie.

[e]Also, I'm totally writing that into WtDwJ now. :)

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

:D
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:What about the sleeping-whilst-touching thing? Or is that something you don't know/don't want to spoil it for us?
There's no cut and dry answer, as we're entering the realm of the subconscious. Normal Loroi have a certain degree of mental discipline that guards mental activity even when unconscious (so that they don't babble telepathically while asleep, and are not completely open to telepathic attack when asleep), but this protection isn't perfect and the physical link is a very intimate telepathic contact.

Does it ever happen? Sure.
Would two linked Loroi who fell asleep continue to communicate subconsciously? Maybe so, maybe not.
If one linked Loroi started to dream, would the other pick up on it? Maybe so, maybe not.

There are some cases of this kind of things happening in the story, so I don't want to walk too far down the path of specific examples.