Loroi Trade translation request general

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Loroi Trade translation request general

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:09 pm
Arioch wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:41 am
Dan Wyatt wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 am
What would be the Trade equivalent of 'God' or 'deity'? Just soia?
The Trade word for "deity" is poinnat. Soia just means "ancestor."
I would be surprised if the Loroi would ever conceive of a being greater than themselves. Do they have a formal religion surrounding this poinnat, or is theirs more of a spiritual philosophy centered on the concepts of creation, life, and destiny?
Poinnat refers mainly to foreign religions, such as the one practiced by the Barsam. The mainstream Loroi "philosophy" (nedi, "way") is to revere their ancestors and follow the teachings of their heroic mythology.

Certain Loroi subcultures did have what we would call religion, but those were mainly destroyed in antiquity.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:09 pm
Arioch wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:41 am
The Trade word for "deity" is poinnat. Soia just means "ancestor."
I would be surprised if the Loroi would ever conceive of a being greater than themselves. Do they have a formal religion surrounding this poinnat, or is theirs more of a spiritual philosophy centered on the concepts of creation, life, and destiny?
Poinnat refers mainly to foreign religions, such as the one practiced by the Barsam. The mainstream Loroi "philosophy" (nedi, "way") is to revere their ancestors and follow the teachings of their heroic mythology. Certain Loroi subcultures did have what we would call religion, but those were mainly destroyed in antiquity.
So then, would Nedi be considered analogous to Terran Shinto?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
The mainstream Loroi "philosophy" (nedi, "way") is to revere their ancestors and follow the teachings of their heroic mythology.
How widespread is this belief, and how serious or even zealous are the Loroi about it? Well, their claim to leadership is derived from said mythology, but do they believe their own propaganda? So, did Tempo cut off the Barsam courier for philosophical/religious or rather political reasons? Both?

Also, do the Loroi have any word or concept for a dragon or a dragonslayer?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:21 pm
There are similarities in the "ancestor worship" of some of our Eastern religions, and in that religions like Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism were more philosophy before they were deified for wider acceptance. But I think the importance placed on the heroic myths and the analysis thereof is probably more Western than Eastern. I might be wrong, but I don't think the major Eastern religions don't place as much importance on scripture as Germanic or Judeo-Christian religions do.
Cthulhu wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:24 pm
Arioch wrote:
The mainstream Loroi "philosophy" (nedi, "way") is to revere their ancestors and follow the teachings of their heroic mythology.
How widespread is this belief, and how serious or even zealous are the Loroi about it? Well, their claim to leadership is derived from said mythology, but do they believe their own propaganda?
It varies by subculture and individual. In general, the more conservative the culture, the more seriously they take the myths and their philosophy.
Cthulhu wrote:
So, did Tempo cut off the Barsam courier for philosophical/religious or rather political reasons? Both?

Cthulhu wrote:
I don't think any of them fit into the Western mold of a "dragon"; a serpentine representation of greed and guardian of a treasure for a hero to slay. But I guess that depends on what your definition of a "dragon" is.

Perrair is a generic Trade term for "monster."

The Loroi mythos has a number of seemingly supernatural "monsters"; most of them are depicted as intelligent and communicative, and are presumed by modern Nedatan to be representations of pre-Fall aliens which primitive post-Fall but pre-Starflight Loroi could only conceive of as mythical monsters. Most of them read like animist spirits, who like nature can be ally or enemy depending on the context. Many of them have humanoid forms, or can take humanoid form (like a lot of the monsters in Eastern mythologies).

I guess the closest to a dragon would be the minnir, which is a flying creature associated with storms and lightning. There's not much point in minnir-slayers, because they can't be permanently killed.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:21 pm
There are similarities in the "ancestor worship" of some of our Eastern religions, and in that religions like Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism were more philosophy before they were deified for wider acceptance. But I think the importance placed on the heroic myths and the analysis thereof is probably more Western than Eastern. I might be wrong, but I don't think the major Eastern religions don't place as much importance on scripture as Germanic or Judeo-Christian religions do.
Cthulhu wrote:
Arioch wrote:
How widespread is this belief, and how serious or even zealous are the Loroi about it? Well, their claim to leadership is derived from said mythology, but do they believe their own propaganda?
It varies by subculture and individual. In general, the more conservative the culture, the more seriously they take the myths and their philosophy.
Cthulhu wrote:
So, did Tempo cut off the Barsam courier for philosophical/religious or rather political reasons? Both?

Cthulhu wrote:
I don't think any of them fit into the Western mold of a "dragon"; a serpentine representation of greed and guardian of a treasure for a hero to slay. But I guess that depends on what your definition of a "dragon" is.

Perrair is a generic Trade term for "monster."

The Loroi mythos has a number of seemingly supernatural "monsters"; most of them are depicted as intelligent and communicative, and are presumed by modern Nedatan to be representations of pre-Fall aliens which primitive post-Fall but pre-Starflight Loroi could only conceive of as mythical monsters. Most of them read like animist spirits, who like nature can be ally or enemy depending on the context. Many of them have humanoid forms, or can take humanoid form (like a lot of the monsters in Eastern mythologies).

I guess the closest to a dragon would be the minnir, which is a flying creature associated with storms and lightning. There's not much point in minnir-slayers, because they can't be permanently killed.

What I think Garak is saying is that he sprinkles even his lies with truth. But he won't give away the details of which is which.

It is not unlike stereotypes of races and cultures today.

All have negative things, and positive things said about them.

Which are true? They all are... but the extent varies for indviduals greatly. I think what's most important is what the government's attitude is, since that matters and will force all to like this or that whether they like it or not.

Above all... with a few exceptionns, saying ALL of a culture or race are a certain way merely means plenty enough are. Indeed anything ALL of one race do is something that ALL human races have done at one point or another.

It is easier to judge people on appearance, especially strangers, so we do. Along with that comes all the stereotypes we know, for good and bad.

Generally speaking though, doing to others what one would want done to them works for peace.... so long a person is not stupidly naive about it.

For example, if anyone appears to be an obvious threat because they dress like certain styles worn by criminal elements, you do not close distance with them if you are already in an isolated spot.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Then how about a monster as a representation of a great obstacle the hero needs to overcome? Do the Loroi have such myths, where the hero slays a mythical monster (representing the forces of nature, for example) or single-handedly wipes out an enemy army (maybe by receiving help from a personification of nature). I guess the latter would be the legend of Tempest (did she find a Soia artifact or something), but what about the former?
Arioch wrote:

I expected nothing less from a Mizol. ;)

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

“Happy birthday!”
Don't delay, join today!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Hālian wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:46 pm
“Happy birthday!”
Bump? I was hoping to get this translation for the relevant role on the server…
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hālian wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:27 am
Hālian wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:46 pm
“Happy birthday!”
Bump? I was hoping to get this translation for the relevant role on the server…
Loroi don't celebrate birthdays. But I expect that's not what you wanted to hear.

piros monnon boniin! "happy birth date!"
siia tó ninzo! "remember (your) naming day!"

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Thank you! <3
Don't delay, join today!

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:02 am
Loroi don't celebrate birthdays. But I expect that's not what you wanted to hear.
What do they celebrate, then? Are there any rituals, customs or traditions and what are they called? For example, what about a diral day, commemorating their sizasad?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:26 pm
Arioch wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:02 am
What do they celebrate, then? Are there any rituals, customs or traditions and what are they called? For example, what about a diral day, commemorating their sizasad?
Loroi diral mates celebrate their "naming day" (siia), which is the final day of the graduation rites. It's celebrated as a group with other diral mates, if there are any present. They spend it sharing memories of the diral training and especially of diral mates who are not present or deceased.

Holidays get a little bit strange in an interstellar society, since calendars are specific to individual worlds, and most Loroi ships and installations are running on Standard Time (the Loroi version of military Zulu Time, based on Perrein mean solar time). So most holidays are local to individual planets, and so those wishing to observe the holiday abroad (which includes a significant percentage of warriors) have to keep track of their home calendar separately from Standard Time.

Some local holidays.

There are only a few "international" Loroi holidays, analogous to things like the US Flag Day and Presidents' Day (and as little-observed), but many ships and bases observe some local holidays to break up the boredom of shipboard duty. Perrein holidays are especially useful for this, since the Perrein calendar corresponds to Standard Time.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

But I think the importance placed on the heroic myths and the analysis thereof is probably more Western than Eastern.
So, more or less as if "Lord of the Rings" ever becomes scripture?

May I say that the level of detail and self-consistency you have put into the setting of this story is trulyTolkienesque? That really is the greatest compliment I can give to an author.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Demarquis wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:00 am
May I say that the level of detail and self-consistency you have put into the setting of this story is trulyTolkienesque? That really is the greatest compliment I can give to an author.
Thanks!

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Do the Loroi have a word for "hero"?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

nial (n): 1. cloud; 2. champion (syn. "hero")
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:43 pm
Do the Loroi have a word for "hero"?
tiizas

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Hmm ... the Trade Language seems to be more exacting than I thought at first ...

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Hmm ... the Trade Language seems to be more exacting than I thought at first ...
What do you mean?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 pm
What do you mean?
I took the word "nial" from your lexicon after not finding the word for "hero" and substituting the synonym "champion" instead.  Maybe I looked on the wrong page ... ?