Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Quickdraw101

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Quickdraw101 »

To add onto the whole "using TK for personal use" type of thing, playing basketball or soccer with a Teidar is just asking for the Human team to lose every single time. Speaking of that, what sports do the Loroi actually have, if they have any at all? Would any of our own actually be of interest if they were introduced to them?

Also, do the Loroi have any type of sign language? If so, it gives Humans an option if they ever find themselves alone with a Teidar, or can't speak Trade, but can us hand gestures to do so.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:53 pm
To add onto the whole "using TK for personal use" type of thing, playing basketball or soccer with a Teidar is just asking for the Human team to lose every single time. Speaking of that, what sports do the Loroi actually have, if they have any at all? Would any of our own actually be of interest if they were introduced to them?
Different Loroi cultures have a variety of different athletic competitions. I think sports involving a ball would shy away from contests of accurate kicking or throwing (like baseball or basketball) since they'd be ripe for abuse by telekinetic participants, and gravitate more toward a ball as an item of possession, like soccer or rugby or football (minus the passing and goal kicking).
Quickdraw101 wrote:
Also, do the Loroi have any type of sign language? If so, it gives Humans an option if they ever find themselves alone with a Teidar, or can't speak Trade, but can us hand gestures to do so.
I think formal sign language was a direct result of the needs of deaf people, which would not be needed by telepaths (some of whom don't even bother to learn spoken Trade). The Loroi probably have a variety of hand signals primarily for military use, for Loroi v. Loroi fighting without breaking "telepathic silence." But those wouldn't be a full language.

It's hard to imagine a situation in which a human had learned Loroi sign language but not spoken Trade.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:41 am
Quickdraw101 wrote:
Different Loroi cultures have a variety of different athletic competitions. I think sports involving a ball would shy away from contests of accurate kicking or throwing (like baseball or basketball) since they'd be ripe for abuse by telekinetic participants, and gravitate more toward a ball as an item of possession, like soccer or rugby or football (minus the passing and goal kicking).
It stands to reason that games relying on dice throws would also be open for abuse by teeks, while card games would likely require that all cards be shown (everybody knows) or kept face down (nobody knows).

Also TTRPGs might not work well, but MMORPGs (or any computer-based game) would work well.

@ARIOCH: Is the concept of a "Sabbatical" known and accepted among the Loroi?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:21 pm
It stands to reason that games relying on dice throws would also be open for abuse by teeks, while card games would likely require that all cards be shown (everybody knows) or kept face down (nobody knows).
Yes. And board games tend to be designed with pegged pieces that slot into the board so that they're not as easy to telekinetically nudge into differed spaces when the other player is distracted.
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Is the concept of a "Sabbatical" known and accepted among the Loroi?
Warriors and civilians get regular paid leave, if that's what you mean. Different civilian organizations in different localities have different traditions in regard to how extended leave is handled. In the military, a warrior may periodically be granted extended leave to study or train, but this wouldn't really be paid leave, because it would be done as part of her duty.

The war would obviously limit when and for how long warriors may go on leave.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:39 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Yes. And board games tend to be designed with pegged pieces that slot into the board so that they're not as easy to telekinetically nudge into differed spaces when the other player is distracted.
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Is the concept of a "Sabbatical" known and accepted among the Loroi?
Warriors and civilians get regular paid leave, if that's what you mean. Different civilian organizations in different localities have different traditions in regard to how extended leave is handled. In the military, a warrior may periodically be granted extended leave to study or train, but this wouldn't really be paid leave, because it would be done as part of her duty.

The war would obviously limit when and for how long warriors may go on leave.

Wow... where is the sense of honor among Teidar? Abusing their power to cheat or otherwise is so prolific that using a normal chessboard is a no-go?

Or it could be that there are a sizable amount that are, though not all.

For an example, not all whites are rascist nor are all blacks thugs/criminals, but there is a signifcant amount of both, enough that one would be dangerously naive to NOT take those factors as a caution.

Namely, if you want to keep living you do not go to obvious dangerous areas with known hazard factors.

So I would like to think not all Teidar are cheat happy, but enough are that the Loroi invented countermeasures to prevent them from abusing their power excessively.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"For an example, not all whites are rascist nor are all blacks thugs/criminals, but there is a signifcant amount of both, enough that one would be dangerously naive to NOT take those factors as a caution."

In terms of absolute numbers, at any rate, there are far more white thugs/criminals than black ones. You are far more likely to be victimized by a white than a black. I do not know how or whether this illustrates anything relevant in regard to the Teidar.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I was merely using the example that it only takes some to spoil the reputation or limit the freedom of an entire group.

A more neutral example with same point:

Students in class require bathroom passes to use the restroom. Why? Because students before them would wander the hallways or ditch class.

So suddenly even trustworthy students are subjected to rules designed to mitigate rule breakers.

Ever been to Wal-mart lately? They require you show your receipt on exit to prove you are not a thief, which while annoying, is because there are humans who steal who shop at wal-mart.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:37 pm
Wow... where is the sense of honor among Teidar? Abusing their power to cheat or otherwise is so prolific that using a normal chessboard is a no-go?
There are many Loroi who have some level of PK who are not Teidar (including all Mizol). In order to be Teidar, you need to have an amplified PK level that is lethal, which most Loroi PK's don't have.

And no, Mizol are not known for their code of honor.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@ARIOCH: I have been reading through the archives, and found an entry that says Beryl has a daughter who would be about 4 years old by now.

• Do she and Beryl keep in touch?
• Does she also have an eidetic memory?
• What is her cadre?
• What is her name?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

From the archives it would seem that the average Loroi only has telepathy, it's the extraordinary that have psycho-kinesis.

Stillstorm lacks any PK but is a strong telepath anyway.

I guess that means she is above average for her telepathic abilities, whereas the most average of average Loroi would get wrecked in a telepath battle with her.

So I presume most Loroi are just telepaths, with some stronger than others?
Last edited by Bamax on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:17 pm
@ARIOCH: I have been reading through the archives, and found an entry that says Beryl has a daughter who would be about 4 years old by now.

• Do she and Beryl keep in touch?
• Does she also have an eidetic memory?
• What is her cadre?
• What is her name?

In the comic I recall Beryl saying she had a son. No daughter I recall.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:06 pm
From the archives it would seem that the average Loroi only has telepathy, it's the extraordinary that have psycho-kinesis.

Stillstorm lacks any PK but is a strong telepath anyway.

I guess that means she is above average for her telepathic abilities, whereas the most average of average Loroi would get wrecked in a telepath battle with her.

All Loroi are telepaths, this is their primary means of communication, after all. There is of course a very small number of unfortunate mutes, or do they get rid of them? Anyway, Loroi would vary not only in raw strength, but also in skills. I doubt that Stillstorm would learn any special techniques, merely train the standard ones, like shielding her thoughts, for example.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:07 pm
In the comic I recall Beryl saying she had a son. No daughter I recall.
I re-read the archive entry . . .
Arioch wrote:Beryl has one child, who is by this point four or five years old, and Fireblade is childless.
So, to re-phrase the question . . .

@ARIOCH: I have been reading through the archives, and found an entry that says Beryl has a child who would be about 4 or 5 years old by now.

• Do Beryl and the child keep in touch?
• Does the child also have an eidetic memory?
• What is the child's cadre?
• What is the child's name?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:10 pm
• Do Beryl and the child keep in touch?
• Does the child also have an eidetic memory?
• What is the child's cadre?
• What is the child's name?
But there's a search function...
Arioch wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:50 am
Beryl was born to a young Semoset Boom mother during the Semoset campaign itself, aboard the cruiser New Moon. Just a few months after Beryl was taken off the ship, it was lost with all hands taking part in the Battle of the Tasinei Ways. I mention this because when Beryl gave birth to her own child during her training on Mezan, she named him "Silver Moon", partly in remembrance of her mother's ship. Moon is still in a Nedatan creche on Deinar. Beryl has only seen him a few times, as she has had few leave opportunities that allowed her to return to Deinar, and the upbringing methods for males often don't involve the mothers much, even when they are nearby.
Arioch wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:33 am
Beryl has a single child: a son, named Silver Moon. He is currently about four years old.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Ahh . . . I am too busy actually reading the archives to search through them . . . thanks!

(Too busy surveying the entire forest to find just one tree.)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yes, Silver Moon has his mother's eidetic memory. He's currently just a child in creche, but eventually his title will be Nedatan Ninzadi Tinnerol.
Moon as an adult in 2202Show
silver_moon1.jpg
silver_moon1.jpg (101.79 KiB) Viewed 50131 times
Bamax wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:06 pm
Yes.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

*looks at Beryl's son*

Strong genes Beryl... looks like you totally!

And now for arguably one of the most personal questions that can be asked of Loroi warriors.

Bidet or toilet paper to wipe their rear end?

I mean honestly... in Star Trek and Star Wars ship bathrooms are never seen or heard of, so I just was curious what the Loroi use.

And I would envy any Teidar with fine PK control... since they could literally use PK to to have a clean butt every time they go. Without TP or a bidet. Just make sure the poo goes straight and thin enough not to hit the buttocks, or use PK to ensure buttocks are not in the way.

Interestingly dogs acttually kind of do this since they prolapse (meaning the inside pokes out a bit when the poo goes, so little to zero contact with outer fur occurs.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

How about a less disgusting question?

Since images of pre-fall aliens were preserved in the telepathically retold legends, did the pre-starflight Loroi know of the existence of their "cousins", the Neridi and Barsam? If they did, then by what names were they known?
Similarly, did the Neridi and Barsam (especially considering the Lugei archives) had any prior knowledge of the Loroi (or each other), and by what names were they known?

Werra

Post by Werra »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:57 am
silver_moon1.jpg
That hair is short for a Loroi of nearly 50 years. Are males with long hair frowned upon?
Bamax wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:34 am

Bidet or toilet paper to wipe their rear end?

And I would envy any Teidar with fine PK control... since they could literally use PK to to have a clean butt every time they go. Without TP or a bidet. Just make sure the poo goes straight and thin enough not to hit the buttocks, or use PK to ensure buttocks are not in the way.
That degree of control seems like a Mizol thing.

A good diet, drinking water and squatting make these things super easy. Get a "stooling stool" as leg rest, thank me later. The Loroi should be used to squatting, since all of them spend years in the wilds. Or this is a further area in which their body plan improved upon. Relatively minor adjustments in muscle positioning and function could make these logistics very easy. Dear god, I hope they differ from human women when it comes to toiletry or Alex will face hell whenever he uses their public restrooms.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:57 am
Yes, Silver Moon has his mother's eidetic memory. He's currently just a child in creche, but eventually his title will be Nedatan Ninzadi Tinnerol.
silver_moon1.jpg
His features strongly resemble those of my eldest son at the same age ('cept for ears & skin color).

What kind of training is given to members of his creche?