Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by dragoongfa »

They also didn't have an absurd amount of corn syrup and sugar added to their food, nor were they tricked into believing that food fats were bad for the health.

There is also the fact that most of their jobs involved manual labor as well as the fact that the american car centric lifestyle didn't become a thing until after the war.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

I agree with dragoongfa. The navy during World War II was a lot hard physical work ... like any other branch of the armed forces of the time, regardless of rank, with the exception, perhaps, of the highest officers. Automation and other joys of civilization appeared later, but in fact, even today, only operators of various systems and senior officers are spared from it.

On Loroi spaceships, only engineers can boast of hard physical work ... and, probably, fighter pilots, who often experience heavy overload. The maximum load of the others is to sit at the post, press the buttons, and sometimes participate in compulsory exercises.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

dragoongfa wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:42 am
They also didn't have an absurd amount of corn syrup and sugar added to their food, nor were they tricked into believing that food fats were bad for the health.

There is also the fact that most of their jobs involved manual labor as well as the fact that the american car centric lifestyle didn't become a thing until after the war.

As some of the generation of my coworkers would say, assuming they knew about it at all " Mcdonalds fries were made differently back in the day. They tasted better. Facts!"

They changed the recipe due to publuc outcry over fats used, I no longer enjoy the fries since they made the change over 3 decades ago:

Rather than using any old oil, all food - including French fries - was fried in beef fat. This gave the chips an extraordinary depth of flavour, even if they weren't veggie friendly. However, under pressure from campaigners, the recipe was changed in 1992, and they've never been the same since.
Apr 15, 2021

Seriously if I had a time machine, I would use it for that among other things.... or maybe I should just fry my own fries with beef fat drippinga and call it good?

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

I'm still waiting to see a swoloi at some point. Like, there's gotta be some Loroi that are rather muscled somewhere on their body.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:19 am
As some of the generation of my coworkers would say, assuming they knew about it at all " Mcdonalds fries were made differently back in the day. They tasted better. Facts!"
Yes, as I recall, the lard in the frying oil was replaced with vegetable oil after McDonald's was succesfully sued by some Indian vegetarians. Julia Child never forgave them, and nor should we. The vegetarians, I mean. What the bleeding hell is a vegetarian doing in a McDonald's in the first place?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:05 am
Bamax wrote:
Yes, as I recall, the lard in the frying oil was replaced with vegetable oil after McDonald's was succesfully sued by some Indian vegetarians. Julia Child never forgave them, and nor should we. The vegetarians, I mean. What the bleeding hell is a vegetarian doing in a McDonald's in the first place?
Tell me about it. If you don't want meat, go to a salad bar or a falafel stand.

I work in the service industry and can tell you that dealing with allergies and specials is a pain in the ass. What's the &#@%ing point of eating out if guests are just going to poke at every little thing in the ingredients? Another thing that's becoming a trend is gluten-free meals, even when the guests are not gluten intolerant. We call them glutards!

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
What the bleeding hell is a vegetarian doing in a McDonald's in the first place?
Being grilled, I guess?
Snoofman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:49 pm
I work in the service industry and can tell you that dealing with allergies and specials is a pain in the ass. What's the &#@%ing point of eating out if guests are just going to poke at every little thing in the ingredients? Another thing that's becoming a trend is gluten-free meals, even when the guests are not gluten intolerant. We call them glutards!
That's just them following the latest fad. There used to be a term for that, "faddist", but "glutard" is fine, too.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

I personally guarantee that our products are additive-free, all-natural, cage-free, cholesterol-free, ethically raised, fair-trade, farm-raised, fat-free, free-range, gluten-free, grass-fed, Kosher, non-GMO, organic, preservative-free, sugar-free, sustainably grown, and Vegan-friendly, in environment-friendly packaging.

;) Did I miss anything?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Snoofman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:49 pm
Arioch wrote:
Bamax wrote:
Tell me about it. If you don't want meat, go to a salad bar or a falafel stand.

I believe that this may not be correct. As per https://blog.cheapism.com/why-mcdonalds ... be-better/

"But eventually, concerns were raised that the saturated fat in beef tallow raises cholesterol levels to potentially dangerous heights, which eventually prompted a change in the recipe...

...In 1990, faced with Sokolof's campaign and growing public concerns about health, McDonald's gave in. Beef tallow was eliminated from the famous french fry formula and replaced with 100% vegetable oil. The results were french fries with zero cholesterol and 45% less fat per serving than before..."

I can find no reliable reference to a lawsuit against MacDonalds by vegetarians, so this may be an urban legend. The real reason seems to have been health concerns.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Demarquis wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:04 pm
I believe that this may not be correct. As per https://blog.cheapism.com/why-mcdonalds ... be-better/

"But eventually, concerns were raised that the saturated fat in beef tallow raises cholesterol levels to potentially dangerous heights, which eventually prompted a change in the recipe...

...In 1990, faced with Sokolof's campaign and growing public concerns about health, McDonald's gave in. Beef tallow was eliminated from the famous french fry formula and replaced with 100% vegetable oil. The results were french fries with zero cholesterol and 45% less fat per serving than before..."

I can find no reliable reference to a lawsuit against MacDonalds by vegetarians, so this may be an urban legend. The real reason seems to have been health concerns.
Yeah, like the transfats are in any way better or that it made junk food any "healthier". It was never meant to be healthy in the first place?!

Also, in Europe, for example, McDonald's is actually quite expensive, so they are also offering salads and various other foodstuffs to give themselves a better image of a "proper" "restaurant". Which kind of defeats their purpose, they are supposed to be a cheap, but reliable eatery.
Last edited by Cthulhu on Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kfcroc18

Post by kfcroc18 »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 pm
I personally guarantee that our products are additive-free, all-natural, cage-free, cholesterol-free, ethically raised, fair-trade, farm-raised, fat-free, free-range, gluten-free, grass-fed, Kosher, non-GMO, organic, preservative-free, sugar-free, sustainably grown, and Vegan-friendly, in environment-friendly packaging.

;) Did I miss anything?
Yes, taste-free!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
;) Did I miss anything?
You didn't guarantee it was pest-free, and at no point in the production process one came near the product. ;)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Demarquis wrote:
Ah, I was conflating two different stories. The switch was in 1990, and the lawsuit by Hindus was in 2002.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

GeoModder wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:47 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
;) Did I miss anything?
You didn't guarantee it was pest-free, and at no point in the production process one came near the product.
I did not say it was pesticide-free, either!

;)
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:29 pm
Demarquis wrote:

Yeah, like the transfats are in any way better or that it made junk food any "healthier". It was never meant to be healthy in the first place?!

Also, in Europe, for example, McDonald's is actually quite expensive, so they are also offering salads and various other foodstuffs to give themselves a better image of a "proper" "restaurant". Which kind of defeats their purpose, they are supposed to be a cheap, but reliable eatery.
Trans fats are really bad for you, as in "stops your heart" levels of bad.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@ ARIOCH: When you wrote up the character sheets for Beryl, Fireblade, and Tempo, did you use a different template for each, or were they all developed from the same template?  Which template would you use for Alex?  What about the other species?

Thank you.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:15 am
@ ARIOCH: When you wrote up the character sheets for Beryl, Fireblade, and Tempo, did you use a different template for each, or were they all developed from the same template?  Which template would you use for Alex?  What about the other species?
If by "template" you mean the character sheet itself, yes, I made an Excel version of the GURPS character sheet that I've used for a variety of different characters. Alex has a sheet, but it's incomplete.

If by "template" you mean the Loroi racial template, yes, they all have the same 20-point racial advantage "Loroi." I have some notes on what the racials for the Umiak and other Soia-Liron races might be, but they're just notes at this point.
loroi_advantage.gif
loroi_advantage.gif (2.36 KiB) Viewed 17348 times

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:04 am
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:15 am
If by "template" you mean the character sheet itself, yes, I made an Excel version of the GURPS character sheet that I've used for a variety of different characters. Alex has a sheet, but it's incomplete.

If by "template" you mean the Loroi racial template, yes, they all have the same 20-point racial advantage "Loroi." I have some notes on what the racials for the Umiak and other Soia-Liron races might be, but they're just notes at this point.
loroi_advantage.gif
Is there any background about this race? Are they actually related to the comic, maybe something like a precursor story?

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:21 pm
I did not say it was pesticide-free, either!
That's mostly covered by the "organic" label; the pesticides that are allowed are those deemed not to be a threat to human health or the environment.
Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:08 am
Is there any background about this race? Are they actually related to the comic, maybe something like a precursor story?
Swords and spells? Magic rings and earrings? Seems like a fantasy setting. I know there are fantasy elements in Outsider, like the whole psionics stuff that the Loroi have got going on, but this character and her abilities would be a stretch.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

gaerzi wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:13 am
Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:08 am
Swords and spells? Magic rings and earrings? Seems like a fantasy setting. I know there are fantasy elements in Outsider, like the whole psionics stuff that the Loroi have got going on, but this character and her abilities would be a stretch.
Different milieux entirely, except for the artist/creator.

I have been intrigued by the possibility of running a WoS-based RPG within the framework of GURPS Traveller rules.