Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

E=M.C^2 wrote:I understand that while humans and lorois share an astonishing resemblance in term of overall shape, they are quite physiologically different as we have seen previously. One consequence is the apparent absence of secondary effect following an hyperspace jump for a loroi, while a human may experience quite a frightening, but non-lethal, effect. Is there any other aspects of the loroi physiology that may give them an advantage, or disadvantage, compared to human. Here, I am thinking about resistance to ionizing radiation, organic or inorganic compounds, temperature, pressure, acceleration (seems this has already been covered).
Soia-Liron/Loroi biochemical systems are a little bit more robust than Earth/Human ones, which makes their metabolism slightly more efficeint, and slightly more resistant to many hostile elements, including disease, toxins, temperature extremes, pressure and acceleration. They're not supermen, however; the differences are in the 10-20% range.

Resistance to radiation would be a very useful adaptation for a spacefaring species, but given how radiation does damage (by altering the chemical makeup of the matter in your body), the only way I can think of to protect an organism would be to give it a dense outer covering that would act as a radiation shield. I think this kind of biological radiation shielding would probably be bulky and metabolically expensive, such that it would probably negate many of the other Loroi advantages.
E=M.C^2 wrote:Could a loroi survive on earth with no access whatever to loroi food or drink ?
I think most Loroi would have an easier time with most Earth foods than the other way around.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

*imagines Tempo as a competitive eater, or perhaps Mademoiselle Mangetout* :P
Don't delay, join today!

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Tempo has been described as a gourmand but I imagine that her low metabolism will limit the stuff that she will sample.

It will be either smaller portions or excessive aerobic exercise in order for her to still be able to fit in her armor :mrgreen:

She could of course try it my way but it is slow, -12 kilograms in 9 months isn't a harsh diet but it is too long for some

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I thought Arioch said that Alex's lack of sustenance was going to play an important part in the story, "soon." Also, did they supply him with a shaving kit, or should we assume that Alex had a series of laser hair removal treatments (or the equivalent thereof)?

CJSF

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

Could be that humanity in 2160 has a high tech dipilatory cream that not only removes existing hair, but prevents new growth for some time.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I would expect that the Soia-liron based food would generally be more engineered for edibility, so it is interesting to know that the Loroi also have more robust digestion.

Also I think it has been mentioned before that the humans of the future have pharmaceutical ways to deal with some of those minor annoyances of human biology that become a bigger problem when stuck in cramped conditions in space for long a duration. Perhaps some kind of tiny subdermal device or something.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Blonde men like Alex are known to have little to no body hair and some even take quite a while to have proper facial hair.

My cousin, who takes after his blonde mother the most, has literally no body hair and only started shaving in his mid twenties.

On the other hand I am a fucking brunette gorilla and I started shaving when I was 13.

E=M.C^2

Post by E=M.C^2 »

Many answers and interesting follow-ups, thank you for your time all :D
….They're not supermen, however; the differences are in the 10-20% range.
I would imagine a well-trained and properly prepared (super vaccine + mithridatism ??) human may then approach the capacity of a somewhat standard loroi (maybe with some genetic engineering involved we could…).
I think this kind of biological radiation shielding would probably be bulky and metabolically expensive, such that it would probably negate many of the other Loroi advantages.
Some organisms show a certain, but not complete, resistance to ionizing radiation. But it is also true they are comparatively simple (bacteria or at most, arachnid). Such a resistance in a complex organism would effectively imply an immune system and self-repearing capabilities that go far beyond what a natural, non-boosted, organism may sustain (thinking about highly efficient food to energy/nutriment processing).
I think most Loroi would have an easier time with most Earth foods than the other way around.
Since they are fond of fungi, maybe a good Roquefort blue cheese would please them.
I would expect that the Soia-liron based food would generally be more engineered for edibility, so it is interesting to know that the Loroi also have more robust digestion.
As far as I can infer from the story and documentation provided by Arioch, we have within a small space a mixed population from very different kinds of environments, hence we may basically have lorois with different eating habits. War, and of course practical limitations of a space mission, provide and incentive to standardize food. Maybe the army cantina settled on a kind of average, edible and digestible for all. Perrein cuisine anyone ?
Also I think it has been mentioned before that the humans of the future have pharmaceutical ways to deal with some of those minor annoyances of human biology that become a bigger problem when stuck in cramped conditions in space for long a duration. Perhaps some kind of tiny subdermal device or something.
That would be the best solution, it would not be comfortable to move around with a pill-box and some water pouch just to get functional. Some active, remote or sensor controlled, devices could be used to deliver pain-killer, anxiety-controler, or poison-neutralizer, to the body.

If Alex grows some facial hairs, I wonder what Beryl's reaction will be… (Are you turning Delrias !!!??? :shock: )

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

E=M.C^2 wrote:Some organisms show a certain, but not complete, resistance to ionizing radiation. But it is also true they are comparatively simple (bacteria or at most, arachnid). Such a resistance in a complex organism would effectively imply an immune system and self-repearing capabilities that go far beyond what a natural, non-boosted, organism may sustain (thinking about highly efficient food to energy/nutriment processing).
Radioresistance can take the form of improved cellular self-repair increased gene redundancy or repair. Some degree of this would be required for Loroi longevity, and so this might increase Loroi survivability to radiation doses, but I think this would be consistent with the 10-20% "healthiness" bonus.
cacambo43 wrote:Also, did they supply him with a shaving kit, or should we assume that Alex had a series of laser hair removal treatments (or the equivalent thereof)?
http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/vie ... 4349#p4349

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Heh. Right away, when I started reading the post you linked to, I remember reading it back then! :oops:

CJSF

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

I wonder how Loroi would react, for example, smoking (especially pipe and cigar), or a drunk person? :)

What is their dominant style of architecture? "The tower and the toga" or some kind of functionalism?

Loroi form their ships something to compensate, or it they have tied up in some kind of cultural subtleties? :D

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:I wonder how Loroi would react, for example, smoking (especially pipe and cigar), or a drunk person?
Drug use and abuse is not alien to Loroi society, but intoxicating drugs are not a part of the military culture the way they are in many human militaries (alcohol was used as a traditional method of control in some armies and navies). Intoxicating drugs are illegal in the military, but Loroi commonly use certain stimulants and sedatives that aren't easily abused (coffee abuse!), but those not in the military can and do use and abuse more serious drugs. Smoking is a pretty effective vector for the delivery of drugs, and so I have to imagine that the Loroi won't be surprised by seeing someone smoke, but they'd probably react to it more like seeing someone smoke crack rather than casually puffing on a pipe. (I'm not sure how many humans will still be smoking in 2160, but you can bet that smoking and heavy drinking are not tolerated on Scout Corps vessels.)
Tamri wrote:What is their dominant style of architecture? "The tower and the toga" or some kind of functionalism? Loroi form their ships something to compensate, or it they have tied up in some kind of cultural subtleties?
As you can probably tell from their ship design and costume, the Loroi value visual aesthetics highly, and this would also be reflected in their architecture. The Loroi have a number of different subcultures and a variety of architecture styles, but they would all share an emphasis on form as well as function. There are only a few cases in the comic in which we'll get a chance to see Loroi ground structures (and most of these will be the worse for wear), but some of the larger vessels and stations will demonstrate grander interior architecture.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

What types of Loroi art advanced and how (painting, sculpture, music, songs, literature, etc)?

Whether they borrowed some neighbors cultural elements / phenomena, or they believe these elements are strange, but fun? And if "yes", what and who could borrow?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:What types of Loroi art advanced and how (painting, sculpture, music, songs, literature, etc)?
Loroi art mostly expresses itself in the artful presentation of useful things: mechanical design, costume, hairstyle, architecture, etc. Even jewelry tends to manifest itself primarily as functional items such as hairpins or clasps, rather than purely decorative items such as necklaces, rings or bracelets. Visual art and sculpture are sometimes purely decorative, but usually have a historical or mythical theme (such as a statue or portrait of a hero). There is not much art for art's sake, but if the Loroi can make a useful item stylish and fancy, they will.

Loroi create a wide variety of music, but it is almost all instrumental, and much of it is designed to be played live. Most Loroi do not sing.

Writing is a functional academic pursuit to the Loroi rather than an art. The telepathic version of Loroi literature would be the recitation of their heroic epics, which is equivalent to the performance of Greek rhapsodes, or the chanting of sutras, or the recitation of the Rules of Acquisition.
Tamri wrote:Whether they borrowed some neighbors cultural elements / phenomena, or they believe these elements are strange, but fun? And if "yes", what and who could borrow?
Some Loroi do enjoy alien culture (Barsam singing often attracts a crowd), but Loroi culture itself rarely adopts alien elements.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:Loroi create a wide variety of music, but it is almost all instrumental, and much of it is designed to be played live. Most Loroi do not sing.
Telepathic singing? Maybe not so much words but a telepathic sending to go alongside a piece of music perhaps?

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Arioch wrote:
And how are things with play-acting? Theater say, well, the movie probably is not developed in any way. Dance art, public performance like a circus ...

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sweforce wrote:
Arioch wrote:Loroi create a wide variety of music, but it is almost all instrumental, and much of it is designed to be played live. Most Loroi do not sing.
Telepathic singing? Maybe not so much words but a telepathic sending to go alongside a piece of music perhaps?
You could have a musical accompaniment to a telepathic presentation or vice-versa, but I'm not sure you could really call that telepathic "singing." You could deliver the telepathic "words" in time with the music, but there is no sound to change in frequency to match the melody.
Tamri wrote:And how are things with play-acting? Theater say, well, the movie probably is not developed in any way. Dance art, public performance like a circus ...
The Loroi are not comfortable with the concept of fiction or play-acting; they understand what it means, but they view it as a form of dishonesty. Even the heroic tales that the Loroi tell are things that they believe to be true, and they don't "act out" the parts. So the Loroi do not have theater or movies in our sense, and they find alien works of fiction to be confusing.

Loroi: "Why was the story of the mating ritual of this 'Annie Hall' notable? Did it somehow impact her later historical achievements?"
Human: "Uh, no... Annie Hall isn't a real person. This is just a story about relationships."
Loroi: "WHAT?!? Why did you make me watch this?!?"

Loroi public exhibitions would be things like live musical performances, athletic competitions or demonstrations (like circus acrobatics), dance, telepathic "speakers"/debates/panel discussions, etc.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

That's kind of funny, and it says something interesting about the way the Loroi abstract concepts of truth. Very literal, it would seem. I wonder if they readily recognize lies of omission, or cherry-picking among a selection of true concepts.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Why can't loroi into fiction? Is it because they can read each others' minds or?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Telepathic communication is direct and literal, and contains a lot of ancillary information. It's not a medium that lends itself well to abstraction or artfulness. A spoken message might say:

"There is something rotten in the state of Denmark."

But the telepathic equivalent might be something like:

"Ophelia told me during our lunch yesterday that when she visited the court of Denmark the week before on a business trip that she didn't enjoy, that she felt that something was wrong within the royal family, but she wasn't specific and frankly I never liked her or trusted her opinion, and I'm in a bad mood right now."
icekatze wrote:That's kind of funny, and it says something interesting about the way the Loroi abstract concepts of truth. Very literal, it would seem. I wonder if they readily recognize lies of omission, or cherry-picking among a selection of true concepts.
The extreme version of the traditional Loroi warrior ethic views omission, spin, or even politeness as forms of dishonesty. Failure to tell someone exactly what you think of her to her face is considered not just duplicitous, but cowardly. Naturally in a large and varied society, not everyone agrees with this ethic or takes it to the same extremes, as you can tell from Tempo and Beryl's interactions with Alex which are overtly polite and diplomatic.