Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:What happened between 1795 and 2110?
When the Second Emperor Swiftsure came into power, she undertook reforms aimed at making the Loroi internal government more democratic, reviving parts the Axis Assembly and giving more autonomy to local governments (both Loroi and alien). For a time this freedom had obvious benefits; it was an era of unprecedented colonization and economic expansion, especially in the Seren and Tinza sectors. However, as the regional governors grew in power and prosperity, the influence of the bureaucratic central government waned, and began to have trouble maintaining order; disputes between sector governments went unresolved, and local governors began to push each other around and seek their own resolutions. The situation came to a head when there was an internal Neridi leadership dispute, and two different Loroi governors backed different Neridi factions. The dispute quickly escalated into a full-blown Loroi civil war, in which the faction led by the Seren governor (Eighth Dawn) defeated the faction backed by the Emperor. Eighth Dawn deposed Swiftsure and became Third Emperor, dissolved the Axis Assembly, and reestablished Imperial control. Expansion and prosperity continued especially in Seren, the new Emperor's former province.

2110 is marked as the end of this period of relative peace and expansion, as that was the year of first contact with the Umiak.
Carl Miller wrote:Also what are the loroi units of length, mass/weight, and temperature?
The standard unit of length is the mannal, which is 0.776 meters. I don't have any information on mass or temperature units.
Zakharra wrote:How would the Loroi take human technological progress in the past and now? I don't remember if it was mentioned how long it took the Loroi to go from primitive planes (Kitty Hawk type) to high speed prop planes to jets and rockets. Would that surprise and worry them?
I think the Loroi would be impressed with the rate of human technological advancement, especially considering that humans had no precursor artifacts to help them (as most other races in the region did).
Zakharra wrote:On another topic, is there any Loroi food Alex can eat that doesn't make him ill, sick and is actually nutritious for him?
That's a subject that will be covered in the story.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

fredgiblet wrote:
Zakharra wrote: Oh. Very nice. That means humanity has a potential edge given time. How would the Loroi take human technological progress in the past and now? I don't remember if it was mentioned how long it took the Loroi to go from primitive planes (Kitty Hawk type) to high speed prop planes to jets and rockets. Would that surprise and worry them?
We're low enough down on the tech tree that it won't worry them, they can bring us into the fold pretty easily at this point, and in doing so guarantee that we never have the military strength to threaten them.
That's true, right now. But give it a few decades, a century at the most, and I can see Humanity becoming a major economic powerhouse on this side of the Loroi Alliance. Getting some control through economic means and eventually having an active colonization effort.
fredgiblet wrote:
On another topic, is there any Loroi food Alex can eat that doesn't make him ill, sick and is actually nutritious for him?
Yes. If you check out the Chapter 2 splash page that's what Alex is doing, determining what he can keep down.
Arioch answered it too. I was more concerned about Alex getting proper nutrition. I am sure he would be able to figure out some foods that he could keep down, I just didn't know if he could get enough foods for everything he needs. Although I do wonder how much of Terran food would actually be tasty and palpable to the Loroi or the other races of the Loroi Alliance. More stuff to explore. Chocolate would probably do nothing for them but something we find somewhat disgusting or really spicy might be to them like chocolate is to us.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Murica wrote:Actually hitler wasn't an infantryman like most people think most people think that because that's what he claimed to have been he was actually a messenger...
So? Frontline messengers came under fire as well. In some aspect that's even a more dangerous job. You have more chances of becoming exposed while moving from post to post.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Zakharra wrote: That's true, right now. But give it a few decades, a century at the most, and I can see Humanity becoming a major economic powerhouse on this side of the Loroi Alliance. Getting some control through economic means and eventually having an active colonization effort.
I have no doubt that the Loroi will take pains to exploit our benefits while keeping us from becoming a threat.
Arioch answered it too. I was more concerned about Alex getting proper nutrition. I am sure he would be able to figure out some foods that he could keep down, I just didn't know if he could get enough foods for everything he needs.
It would be a very short story if he didn't. In fact he'd probably already be hospitalized.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

fredgiblet wrote:
Zakharra wrote: That's true, right now. But give it a few decades, a century at the most, and I can see Humanity becoming a major economic powerhouse on this side of the Loroi Alliance. Getting some control through economic means and eventually having an active colonization effort.
I have no doubt that the Loroi will take pains to exploit our benefits while keeping us from becoming a threat.
I think human ingenuity and innovation might catch them by surprise. Still though humanity could easily be a major player in the Loroi Alliance, or at least allied to it, depending on how close the ties are after the war is over.
fredgiblet wrote:
Arioch answered it too. I was more concerned about Alex getting proper nutrition. I am sure he would be able to figure out some foods that he could keep down, I just didn't know if he could get enough foods for everything he needs.
It would be a very short story if he didn't. In fact he'd probably already be hospitalized.

I was just kind of wondering if he will have to exist on the Loroi equivalent of water and crackers with bland meat paste on them, or if the Loroi will be giving him vitamin/nutrient shots to keep him alive.

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

I was just kind of wondering if he will have to exist on the Loroi equivalent of water and crackers with bland meat paste on them, or if the Loroi will be giving him vitamin/nutrient shots to keep him alive.
Either that, or the only thing he can keep down is the Loroi equivalent of 30 year old scotch, caviar, and truffles.

Fireblade to Beryl : "Sure, he's kinda cute... but who could afford to keep him?"

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

JQBogus wrote:
Either that, or the only thing he can keep down is the Loroi equivalent of 30 year old scotch, caviar, and truffles.

Fireblade to Beryl : "Sure, he's kinda cute... but who could afford to keep him?"
“Drink more booze so you'll burn faster!”
—Teidar Pallan Leinnol
Don't delay, join today!

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

i doubt a loroi warrior uses the word cute.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Do Loroi or their allies use nose art such as are seen on some WW2 fighter planes ( the shark mouth on the Flying Tigers).

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1LE ... Qmlfjr-7Nk

Or like what was popular on B-17 Flying Fortressess

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1LE ... t&tbm=isch?

It probably wouldn't be offical (Human Nose art isn't for the most part).

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

How common is lesbianism among loroi?

Are there any loroi who still wear glasses — perhaps, say, as a fashion statement?
Don't delay, join today!

discord

Post by discord »

carl: considering that males are just not there for the emotional support and bonding i'd say rather common, but they would probably not think about it in those terms.
glasses? unlikely, would be a weird duck indeed to have that particular quirk, given technology, history and genetics.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

discord wrote:carl: considering that males are just not there for the emotional support and bonding i'd say rather common, but they would probably not think about it in those terms.
glasses? unlikely, would be a weird duck indeed to have that particular quirk, given technology, history and genetics.
oh gods I started thinking unless they have hipsters as well.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

wasp609 wrote:i doubt a loroi warrior uses the word cute.
As an insult perhaps? :mrgreen:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

saint of m wrote:Do Loroi or their allies use nose art such as are seen on some WW2 fighter planes ( the shark mouth on the Flying Tigers). Or like what was popular on B-17 Flying Fortressess. It probably wouldn't be offical (Human Nose art isn't for the most part).
I think such things might not be "official" but would still require at least the tacit approval of the commanding officer (as was probably the case even for the ubiquitous nose art on Allied WWII aircraft). Among the Loroi, the permission to customize one's craft usually has to be earned like a citation. Such customizations would be more along the lines of Flying Tigers teeth, rather than bomber-nose pinups.
Carl Miller wrote:How common is lesbianism among loroi?
Not common. This subject is covered in the Loroi essay under the heading "Gender, Mating and Sexuality."
Carl Miller wrote:Are there any loroi who still wear glasses — perhaps, say, as a fashion statement?
They might wear sunglasses or safety glasses, but not for fashion purposes.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

How would Loroi react to someone with a physical, developmental, or emotional disability or condition such as Autism, Down Syndrome, or Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome to name a few?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Post-traumatic stress disorder ;)

And if I have my loroi stereotypes right, with an energy shot to the base of the skull :P
Don't delay, join today!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Actually.. I think the Loroi might actually be able to correct such mental disorders with telepatheropeutic counseling and treatments. I DO NOT think they would murder or euthanize a soldier merely because she was mentally injured in combat or a child was born with a defect. Though considering their medical technology.. they likely would have already detected the defect and started a gene-therapy to correct the disorder before such a child was even born.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Actually.. I think the Loroi might actually be able to correct such mental disorders with telepatheropeutic counseling and treatments. I DO NOT think they would murder or euthanize a soldier merely because she was mentally injured in combat or a child was born with a defect. Though considering their medical technology.. they likely would have already detected the defect and started a gene-therapy to correct the disorder before such a child was even born.
That's essentially correct: most birth defects or genetic disorders would be detected long before birth, and if uncorrectable would usually result in the termination of the pregnancy. Most physical disabilities that might occur after birth are correctable at this level of technology, and most Loroi in either civilian or military organizations receive pretty good health care, so it would be very unusual to come across a Loroi with a permanent physical disability.

As you might expect, combat stress and other psychological disorders are going to be pretty common, and as telepaths, the Loroi have good tools for dealing with mental illness. If an individual cannot be cured, she will be cared for. However, if a powerful telepathic (or psychokinetic) individual is dangerously, untreatably insane, there may be no options other than euthanasia.

When it happens that the system breaks down and unhealthy children are born, how they will be treated depends on the location and situation. Nomadic traditionalists that reject modern technology and lifestyles would probably follow the ancient traditions of killing unfit babies by exposure. Those born in a chaotic situation (such as civil disorder or war) that was later stabilized would usually be cared for and integrated into society as well as is practical, though any significant untreatable disability would probably preclude military service, and therefore limit the disabled person's social status and standard of living.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Are cybernetics a thing for them or can they re-grow limbs/organs?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:Are cybernetics a thing for them or can they re-grow limbs/organs?
I think most repairs will be best done with real tissues, whether re-grown or externally fabricated.