Farsense and Sensibility.

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Farsense and Sensibility.

Post by Arioch »

It's certainly possible, but most pregnancies in which there was a serious detectable birth defect would be terminated very early in pregnancy.

In response to the second part of your question, psychokinesis is an emergent trait that the Loroi can't predict. There is no "gene" for PK (as far as the Loroi can tell, anyway).

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Ktrain wrote:Question: Are there mutations/birth defects which can limit/prevent the development the use of sanzai? Like being deaf or mute, only telepathically. Do/would the Loroi terminate such individuals in the womb or has their medical technology advanced enough to prevent/repair such defects (though if this were so then what is preventing the Loroi from just genetically engineering a bunch of Teidar)?
As a converse to this question, have there been any Loroi born with an exceptional level of Sanzai / TK?

I'm talking head and shoulders above even the bell curve here, ala our version of Idiot Savant's, the kind of telepathic capabilities that would give even Farseers pause. Take their abilities and dial them up to eleven, and damn the consequences.

I'd imagine them only cropping up once or twice a generation, if at all. Most likely lead very solitary lives.

I can just imagine an ultra-teek in their middle ages inadvertently smashing buildings or causing organs to explode violently when angered... both revered for their powerful abilities and potential as a warrior and feared for the sheer level of damage they could do if angered.

An ultra-teep on the other hand I can see fulfilling an almost sage-like role. They'd either be stark raving mad from the incessant chatter or be incredibly mentally strong and balanced.

Just rambling a bit.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Cdr Straker

Post by Cdr Straker »

....And, perhaps, more interesting, is that these individuals would relish contact with humans, as it would be so refreshing to them to not hear the noise of spurious thoughts, nor the machinations of another's plots and schemes. The quiet intercourse of verbal conversation might be as soothing as a cool spring to these individuals.......

Or....... It might be a nightmare of unimaginable proportions for these gifted souls; to not be able to detect the presence, much less read the thoughts of these beings, must be terrifying....... Do they mean me harm? What do they want? Why can't I see them?

First contact can be a bizatch........
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
-George Orwell

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Cdr Straker wrote: Or....... It might be a nightmare of unimaginable proportions for these gifted souls; to not be able to detect the presence, much less read the thoughts of these beings, must be terrifying....... Do they mean me harm? What do they want? Why can't I see them?
Interesting idea of a Ultra-TK abilities being a double edge sword. Would this mean having engative effect on their health( IE the farseers having a reduced life span becuase of their gifts.)

I could see it working out, like a limit on the Loroi biological development.
Last edited by NOMAD on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote:The only practical use I can think of for multi-person links is groups of Listel transferring information.
and to answer TrashMan question before he ask it, no i doubt that "information transfer" involve naked loroi and/or jello.
Could you double-check that? There si no need to hurry. I can wait. :ugeek:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Razor One wrote: As a converse to this question, have there been any Loroi born with an exceptional level of Sanzai / TK? I'm talking head and shoulders above even the bell curve here, ala our version of Idiot Savant's, the kind of telepathic capabilities that would give even Farseers pause. Take their abilities and dial them up to eleven, and damn the consequences. I'd imagine them only cropping up once or twice a generation, if at all. Most likely lead very solitary lives. I can just imagine an ultra-teek in their middle ages inadvertently smashing buildings or causing organs to explode violently when angered... both revered for their powerful abilities and potential as a warrior and feared for the sheer level of damage they could do if angered. An ultra-teep on the other hand I can see fulfilling an almost sage-like role. They'd either be stark raving mad from the incessant chatter or be incredibly mentally strong and balanced.
Yes and yes. You have already met some of them.
Cdr Straker wrote:....And, perhaps, more interesting, is that these individuals would relish contact with humans, as it would be so refreshing to them to not hear the noise of spurious thoughts, nor the machinations of another's plots and schemes. The quiet intercourse of verbal conversation might be as soothing as a cool spring to these individuals....... Or....... It might be a nightmare of unimaginable proportions for these gifted souls; to not be able to detect the presence, much less read the thoughts of these beings, must be terrifying....... Do they mean me harm? What do they want? Why can't I see them?
...and yes.
Karst45 wrote:i doubt that "information transfer" involve naked loroi and/or jello.
That's more of a Farseer kind of thing.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Arioch wrote:That's more of a Farseer kind of thing.
Clearly a bunch of hippies. They don't "commune with the machine spirit" or "dance to the music of the stars" do they?

In all seriousness: do Farseers apply any mysticism to their "craft"? (Or has any grown up around it, either within their ranks or without?)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Arioch wrote:
Karst45 wrote:i doubt that "information transfer" involve naked loroi and/or jello.
So they are the kinky ones then? :mrgreen:

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Arioch wrote:
Razor One wrote: As a converse to this question, have there been any Loroi born with an exceptional level of Sanzai / TK? I'm talking head and shoulders above even the bell curve here, ala our version of Idiot Savant's, the kind of telepathic capabilities that would give even Farseers pause. Take their abilities and dial them up to eleven, and damn the consequences. I'd imagine them only cropping up once or twice a generation, if at all. Most likely lead very solitary lives. I can just imagine an ultra-teek in their middle ages inadvertently smashing buildings or causing organs to explode violently when angered... both revered for their powerful abilities and potential as a warrior and feared for the sheer level of damage they could do if angered. An ultra-teep on the other hand I can see fulfilling an almost sage-like role. They'd either be stark raving mad from the incessant chatter or be incredibly mentally strong and balanced.
Awesome.
...kind of unsurprising that Farseers, being exceptional and all, would turn out to be highly eccentric as well.

I can just see one of them shouting "MY SIDE YOUR SIDE MY SIDE YOUR SIDE!" too.

Speaking of eccentricities... how would a 'condition' like Synesthesia affect Sanzai?
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Arioch wrote:
Any possiblity of getting some vague hints as to who ?
That's more of a Farseer kind of thing.[/quote]

Ok that kinda sound like the Newtype imaging for the original Gundam series or am I off basis ?

flarecde

Post by flarecde »

NOMAD wrote: Any possiblity of getting some vague hints as to who ?
My first guess would be Fireblade, although Tempo's description on the cast page is also that of a skilled telepath.
Reality is nothing, perception is everything.

Darth Cloaked Guy

Post by Darth Cloaked Guy »

I think these 'freakishly gifted' ones are called Unsheatheds. Or however the heck you pluralize that.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

NOMAD wrote:
Arioch wrote:That's more of a Farseer kind of thing.
Ok that kinda sound like the Newtype imaging for the original Gundam series or am I off basis ?
Well the farseer/oracle are kind of attached to water and when the autor want fan service, just remove the cloths

I was seeing that like the one in Wayward son, Cassandra. She said her "vision" created a lots of heat, so she needed to be in a pool, and naked of course, dont want to get those uniform wet :P

look at the Instant Oracle Just Add Water

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote: Well the farseer/oracle are kind of attached to water and when the autor want fan service, just remove the cloths

I was seeing that like the one in Wayward son, Cassandra. She said her "vision" created a lots of heat, so she needed to be in a pool, and naked of course, dont want to get those uniform wet :P

look at the Instant Oracle Just Add Water
Ok, that does make sense now, I do follow Wayward sons, so I get the concept ( Thxs for the link, man TVtropes has alot fo good info)

So farseer have "interesting" communications (now the bit of how the Loroi splinter worlds got back into communication presents some interesting "interpretations" of the first contact and their content.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I was just kidding about the naked Farseers and jello.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

I sensed a great disturbance in the force...as if a million fanboys cried out in anguish...

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

:oops: ffffuuuu I was starting to think that farseers had a link to some of the more risque Drowtales daydream-type episodes (not that subject matter isn't a nice "distraction" once in a while, especially the one tied to the main story IE about how two character got together)

But then for farseers( or for the Loroi in general), is their any visual element to two loroi sending to each other ( IE when the splitter colonies sense each other). I know their is a "spoken" language with the loroi telepathy, with some emotion undertow and meaning, but it is only limited to words ?

osmium

Post by osmium »

I thought they had to get into an isothermal gel-filled isolation pod in the center of the farsensing device and need to be nude for said device to operate.

see you can BS why farseers need to be nekkid ~_^.

-O

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Arioch wrote:I was just kidding about the naked Farseers and jello.
In related news, Christmas is cancelled.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

It's kinda funny when you think about it - a race that's so geared to warfare and fast reproduction. Shouldn't they also have a healthy libido?