Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CrimsonFALKE

Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
saint of m wrote:How far along will languages change? What was verbally acceptable 100 years ago would be a dirty word today and vice versa, and I'm sure the slang and dialects of the colonies are probably vastly different then here on the Home world.
There are certainly many different dialects of Trade which have diverged widely over the millennia, and even multiple dialects of Loroi Trade. Even though language evolves rapidly among humans, we have still 3000+ year old archaic languages (Sanskrit, Greek, Latin) which are still readily understandable to modern speakers of Italian, Modern Greek, Hindi, etc. The vogue of common spoken English has changed a great deal in the 400 years since Shakespeare's time, but his writings are still quite decipherable. It's important to consider that the rate of change in non-linguistic cultures such as the Loroi is much slower than ours.

I honestly doubt english will change drastically in so much as 1000 years. Arioch I have to ask did you like my Christmas present?

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:I honestly doubt english will change drastically in so much as 1000 years. Arioch I have to ask did you like my Christmas present?
In 1000 years, English will presumably be at least halfway towards changing from Neo-English into Neo-Neo-Modern English, just due to natural language drift. The trick is that without a major multi-generational occupation by a group that speaks a non-Germanic & non-Romance language, it's unlikely that it'll go much beyond that, or that it'll be too unintelligible in comparison to Modern English (slang, of course, will be completely confusing, but we won't be losing much when everyone forgets the meaning of "twerk").

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Absalom wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:I honestly doubt english will change drastically in so much as 1000 years. Arioch I have to ask did you like my Christmas present?
In 1000 years, English will presumably be at least halfway towards changing from Neo-English into Neo-Neo-Modern English, just due to natural language drift. The trick is that without a major multi-generational occupation by a group that speaks a non-Germanic & non-Romance language, it's unlikely that it'll go much beyond that, or that it'll be too unintelligible in comparison to Modern English (slang, of course, will be completely confusing, but we won't be losing much when everyone forgets the meaning of "twerk").
Oh thats where girls' butts have Tonic–clonic seizures.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Absalom wrote:
Oh thats where girls' butts have Tonic–clonic seizures.
I was more thinking a weaponization of fandisservice for the most part, but that works too.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Perhaps better for the Loroi thread, but here goes:

Appearantly, Loroi Trade lacks the letters (sounds as well?) for 'H' and 'U', so how the heck do the Loroi pronounce 'Humaniti'? 'Gmaniti' or something like it?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:Apparently, Loroi Trade lacks the letters (sounds as well?) for 'H' and 'U', so how the heck do the Loroi pronounce 'Humaniti'? 'Gmaniti' or something like it?
Beryl and Tempo are essentially mimicking Alex's pronunciation. If they had to write it down or a less linguistically adept Loroi were attempting to pronounce it, it would probably be "iomaniti" (pronounced "yomaniti").

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

How would they pronounce Fragile, Farg- E- lay? :lol:

McBobbish

Post by McBobbish »

Would I be correct in assuming that the Armored guy in the background of page 2 is a Terran Marine?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Apparently, Loroi Trade lacks the letters (sounds as well?) for 'H' and 'U', so how the heck do the Loroi pronounce 'Humaniti'? 'Gmaniti' or something like it?
Beryl and Tempo are essentially mimicking Alex's pronunciation. If they had to write it down or a less linguistically adept Loroi were attempting to pronounce it, it would probably be "iomaniti" (pronounced "yomaniti").
YO MAN
Don't delay, join today!

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Could the technology used for Mjolnir be made smaller? Or is the Mjolnir as large as it is because anything smaller wouldn't have the power to cause damage to an enemy spacecraft?

I noted that it was said that a destroyer-sized Mjolnir carrier would be unable to use its engines for a period of time after firing... what i'm wondering is if that would make any difference. No engines means no maneuvering, no maneuvering means no getting out of the way of enemy fire. But given the accuracy and speed of Umiak weapons, I suspect a high ship turnover rate anyway.

One other thing; in the webcomic I'm working on, there are 'Fleet Point Defence' spacecraft which tend to be corvette to frigate sized, require a battlecarrier to move them to a battlezone, buut have very large and high-output weapons for their size. They would be perfect against Umiak missile swarms, which in the battle we saw in-comic, was what allowed the Umiak ships to get close to the Loroi vessels.

.... so if humanity worked on Fleet Point Defence ships, wouldn't that free up Loroi ships to kick the Umiak's chitinous backsides?
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Would it not be easier to identified as Terran?
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

RedDwarfIV wrote: .... so if humanity worked on Fleet Point Defence ships, wouldn't that free up Loroi ships to kick the Umiak's chitinous backsides?
that could be an idea to make them usefull in battle, but yet again i dont think the loroi would go that way.

They would need to give engines technologie so the human PD fleet can keep up with the main fleet. and would also need to give effective point deffence and tracking computer (if those are better than the TCA tech)

not as powerfull as the main weapon on the loroi ship, but still strong enough to cause real damage at close range, and since the loroi are kind of paranoid/xenophobic. we are more likely to see Fireblade laugh.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Karst45 wrote:
RedDwarfIV wrote: .... so if humanity worked on Fleet Point Defence ships, wouldn't that free up Loroi ships to kick the Umiak's chitinous backsides?
that could be an idea to make them usefull in battle, but yet again i dont think the loroi would go that way.

They would need to give engines technologie so the human PD fleet can keep up with the main fleet. and would also need to give effective point deffence and tracking computer (if those are better than the TCA tech)

not as powerfull as the main weapon on the loroi ship, but still strong enough to cause real damage at close range, and since the loroi are kind of paranoid/xenophobic. we are more likely to see Fireblade laugh.
Sounds like they would rather bleed out slowly than actually win a war.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Since FPD ships are deployed from battlecarriers, the Loroi would only need to supply drives for those. FPD ships don't go far from their carrier, because of fuel constraints. The FPD ships don't need to keep up with the fleet, just be placed between the LU and UE fleets, where the missiles will be. With the Loroi ships free to destroy Umiak ships, many of the Umiak ships should be destroyed before they get into effective weapons range of the Terran ships, decreasing losses.

Also, the idea is that since TCA weapons work best at close range, they might as well fire at something close - swarming missiles, for instance. Another advantage of FPD ships is that they are small, so they're easier to mass produce than cruisers. They are also maneuverable and they present a large number of targets. Again, good when you're fighting small, maneuverable targets in high numbers.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Username

Post by Username »

Without the Loroi engines those ships would be sitting ducks. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Or would this be far enough along that we would have reverse-engineered some Umiak engines ?

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

The thing about Terran-built "FPDs" is that they would be obsolete and redundant. Loroi fighters already perform this role. The Arrow Light Interceptor is listed as "being deployed in the point defense role" in the Insider. We see evidence of this in Chapter 1 when the Loroi and Umiak engage.

In order for a Terran craft to be as effective as what the Loroi already have, they would basically have to be given fighter designs. Which could work, once humanity's industrial base is fully spooled up for war. The Loroi might not mind giving us designs for tech a few generations old...

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

On the matter of tech transfers, people here always say 'the Loroi need to give this or that' in order to have the Terrans be useful. But if I read the Insider correctly, most of the advanced tech the Loroi use comes from other races within the Loroi Union. So once Humanity's whereabouts goes round in the Union, how long would it take Barsam 'prophets', Neridi 'economists/managers', or even the Pipolsid, having their own trading and agreements with humans?

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Would the Loroi allow that type of trade with humans? I mean they treat us condescendingly like children mostly I doubt they'd want their subordinates giving us equal footing.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

FALKE makes a good point. Even though a lot of advanced tech comes from members of the Union and not the Loroi themselves, the Loroi still retain control. It stands to reason that they wouldn't allow member states to unilaterally begin trading with Humanity.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Of course the Historians could trade freely with the humans they only need to get to the distance humans to trade. Although the loroi are stuck to raiding forces humans if upgraded could act as a the US did in the first World War.