The "Real Aerospace" Thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

inxsi

Re: The "Real Aerospace" Thread

Post by inxsi »

Thanks for the link on the 3D rockets. Very cool, though I wonder if they are going to make it as a rocket company or get picked up by someone for the 3D technology. Also, I did not realize how hazardous the printing process was when they were going in to look at it.

More issues for Boeing - Starliner launch delayed due to stuck valves. They took it inside for further troubleshooting.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

I recently heard that Bezos has filed a lawsuit against NASA and SpaceX.
What will be the effect on the Lunar mission?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

For the moment, none.
IF he wins, there may be an enormous impact, but to evaluate chances, I'd need much, much, much more background, like reasons of the complaint, the tender requirements (and whether they may have been tailored for SpaceX and/or any other company),....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Amidst the upsetting events going on today in Kabul, I did learn something I didn't know: the US has point defense system deployed that are not only effective against rockets, but also mortar and artillery shells.

It makes sense logically, but holy cow... that really changes the fundamental nature of the battlefield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter_r ... and_mortar

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:38 pm
Amidst the upsetting events going on today in Kabul, I did learn something I didn't know: the US has point defense system deployed that are not only effective against rockets, but also mortar and artillery shells.

It makes sense logically, but holy cow... that really changes the fundamental nature of the battlefield.

Actually, it changes very little. This is an ineffective exchange, trading a great amount of ordnance against very cheap means of attack. It may offer limited protection against insurgents, but it won't stop a determined, high-tech adversary. Saturating those defenses is far too easy, and then there's radar jamming, guided munitions, hypersonic missiles, etc.

The only thing it's useful against would be drone swarms, since it's too wasteful to shoot them with missiles.

Now, if you'd replace guns with effective lasers, though...
SpoilerShow
P.S. The whole Kabul disaster wasn't really much of a surprise.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Arioch wrote:

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who learned about that today.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Just saw that the James Webb telescope has passed testing and is going to be shipped French Guiana for launch - I had not realized it was so close to being finished and ready for launch. No official date for launch but I read some estimates of mid-December. Hopefully everything goes well.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

inxsi wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:57 pm
Just saw that the James Webb telescope has passed testing and is going to be shipped French Guiana for launch - I had not realized it was so close to being finished and ready for launch. No official date for launch but I read some estimates of mid-December. Hopefully everything goes well.
From what I understand, there is very likely going to be another delay because the launch hardware isn't ready.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration ... ience/Webb

Launch date: October 2021.
Let's see....

According to the same web site, Webb's site, the launch hardware is indeed not ready, but underway, just as planned.

It's not unusual for the Ariane to be assembled a mere week before launch. for loading and final testing.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Arioch wrote:

CRAM is pretty cool. My personal take is the capability is still in its infancy, its not really all too cost effective yet, but it exists in an actual working and deployed form.

Still has some kinks, for instance I heard a tale of a friendly helicopter firing a hellfire at insurgents trying to break into a base, and the base CRAM immediately opening up on the missile and shooting it down before it could strike the intruders. It had successfully identified the friendly helicopter's IFF, but the hellfire didn't have anything like that, so the CRAM (correctly) decided it was a missile that would impact near or inside the base and (incorrectly) decided it was its job to shoot it down.

Still kinks to be worked out with blueforce tracking in general I think. Additionally, as the other guy pointed out, its still expensive. Its useful however, as it greatly diminishes the effect of harassing attacks. Usually only deployed at major bases.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

No CRAM and other high tech stuffs gonna work if the generals and politicians don't have a basic strategic plan to deal with specific threat actors.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Krulle wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:32 pm
https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration ... ience/Webb

Launch date: October 2021.
Let's see....

According to the same web site, Webb's site, the launch hardware is indeed not ready, but underway, just as planned.

It's not unusual for the Ariane to be assembled a mere week before launch. for loading and final testing.
It seems launch has been pushed to December 18. There will be a launch on an Ariane 5 rocket on October 15 for two satellites.

Cthulhu

James Webb Space Telescope launched!

Post by Cthulhu »

Good news, everyone!
The James Webb Telescope was launched successfully, and we already have the first picture it took right here:
PictureShow
:o Image :lol:
For a better resolution, it needs to reach its destination, the Lagrange Point 2, first. This will take about 30 days.
Launch videoShow

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Unfortunately, the elaborate unfolding and activation of the sun shield is probably the highest risk factor of the mission, and it will probably be some time before we know whether it is successful or not.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

We should know if it successfully deploys in about half the time it takes to reach it's final orbit. Fingers crossed!

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

There is a fascinating NASA website that allows you to track the Webb Telescope's journey to L2 in real time.

Found here: https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunc ... sWebb.html

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:59 pm
Unfortunately, the elaborate unfolding and activation of the sun shield is probably the highest risk factor of the mission, and it will probably be some time before we know whether it is successful or not.
The sun shield was deployed successfully!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Well, that's good news. I'm guessing that was the most potentially problematic part of the deployment.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

A little off the normal path, but I really enjoyed this unusual in-cockpit footage of the Blue Angels performing near Chicago.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »