Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CF2

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by CF2 »

Are Loroi able to broadcast their experiences in the moment? As in full body physical sensations that are felt by the receiver, or would it be more or less like being told about how a person feels rather than feeling it?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GabrielGABFonseca wrote:So, I'd been reading a few of the Insider pages again (because why not?) when I noticed in the "Small Craft" section of the 'Shipboard Weapon Profiles' entry, it says quite emphatically that Small Craft have no jump capability.

This got me thinking, does the Highland have a jump drive? I mean, it does have Inertial Compensation, a prerequisite for having a Jump Drive, but taking a quick look at the x-ray/deckplans of the Highland on the WIP Thread (Page 3 of that thread, middle-isa of the page), there doesn't seem to be enough space for what I imagine to be the big, bulky Jump Field Generator. (How big are those, anyway?)

Then again, it was never implied that the Highland was jump-capable, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :p
No, the Highland is not jump capable. The shuttle is not going to Seren itself, but instead transferring the party to a ship that will take them.
CF2 wrote:Are Loroi able to broadcast their experiences in the moment? As in full body physical sensations that are felt by the receiver, or would it be more or less like being told about how a person feels rather than feeling it?
More the latter than the former.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

No, the Highland is not jump capable. The shuttle is not going to Seren itself, but instead transferring the party to a ship that will take them.
Could the Loroi build a jump capable version of the Highland or would that not be usefull in any way?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Can Loroi use their telepathy in a more insidious way: memory modification, Bene Gesserit's Voice, sleeper agents, etc..?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Suederwind wrote:
Could the Loroi build a jump capable version of the Highland or would that not be usefull in any way?
The limitation on the miniaturization of jump drive is power requirement; the energy required to jump a ship scales with mass, but there is a minimum energy required to break the surface tensions of spacetime, regardless of how small the ship is. A jump capable shuttle would need a powerplant similar to that used in corvettes or frigates (which are usually 150-200m total). Such a shuttle would need to be roughly twice the size of the Highland, and so wouldn't be able to fit in many hangars... it would probably need to be towed, as some jump-capable Umiak gunboats are.
raistlin34 wrote:Can Loroi use their telepathy in a more insidious way: memory modification, Bene Gesserit's Voice, sleeper agents, etc..?
Insidious telepathic techniques are what the Mizol are all about.
SpoilerShow
(Art by Amy Leeds)

D1ff3r3nt

Post by D1ff3r3nt »

Arioch wrote:
raistlin34 wrote:Can Loroi use their telepathy in a more insidious way: memory modification, Bene Gesserit's Voice, sleeper agents, etc..?
Insidious telepathic techniques are what the Mizol are all about.
SpoilerShow
(Art by Amy Leeds)
Jardin is the Mahdi confirmed

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Does Erebas have any epithets other than “the Terrible”?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hālian wrote:Does Erebas have any epithets other than “the Terrible”?
Nope, that one does the job.

Loroi legends don't usually have as many variants as ours do (as these are supposed to be "true" stories rather than parables), but they make up for this by having a huge number of different heroic characters who perform different roles. It's like the Game of Thrones version of the Iliad, but on steroids.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

That's fair. I was asking for custom Magic: The Gathering purposes; “Tempest the Terrible” is kinda lame by MTG card name standards, and her untranslated name, Erebas, would very easily be confused with Erebos, the Therian god of the dead.

(Also, given how often extant card names get mispronounced, “Erebas Sazaset” is a real tongue-twister.)

So… IDK. I guess “Erebas Sazaset” will stand.
Don't delay, join today!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

What would happen if, for example, Beryl got pregnant and had a son? Does she belong to some kind of family that would then have the male as their charge, or would she have charge of him? (Ie, have to set up mating calls and whatnot)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:What would happen if, for example, Beryl got pregnant and had a son? Does she belong to some kind of family that would then have the male as their charge, or would she have charge of him? (Ie, have to set up mating calls and whatnot)
Technically, males are wards of the state. A prominent family would have some influence over what happened to a son, but someone like Beryl would probably not.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Do mothers who bear sons find themselves the recipient of unofficial favor or respect in Loroi society? Or, for that matter, official state favor and recognition?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CF2 wrote:Do mothers who bear sons find themselves the recipient of unofficial favor or respect in Loroi society? Or, for that matter, official state favor and recognition?
Not as such, but if you or your family are in a position to influence where and how a son (or any male relative) is assigned, this can be a significant political asset.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:Technically, males are wards of the state. A prominent family would have some influence over what happened to a son, but someone like Beryl would probably not.
Loroi MGTOW movement when? Men of Loroi, rise up! You have nothing to lose but your comfy state-appointed position and all the %#$!£ that society can throw at you!

Can a Loroi male become infertile? In such a case, what would happen to him?
(Oh, nvm, found this: "A male who is not interested in sex at all (for whatever reason) can refuse to be matched at all." on the loroi page, I assume an infertile male would effectively do the same.)

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Given the broad similarities between humans and Loroi, is the innate sense of familial attachment psychologically/sociologically repressed in Loroi society or genetically missing? Is there a motherly or parental attachment to children that is suppressed when a Loroi female has a child?

CJSF

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

How do Loroi wipe their bums? do they have paper or use the three shells principle? I've tried checking the only thing I can which is Alex's cell, but I cant make anything out.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:Can a Loroi male become infertile? In such a case, what would happen to him?
(Oh, nvm, found this: "A male who is not interested in sex at all (for whatever reason) can refuse to be matched at all." on the loroi page, I assume an infertile male would effectively do the same.)
Also, it would take a pretty severe disorder (or extreme age). Loroi medical technology is fairly advanced.
cacambo43 wrote:Given the broad similarities between humans and Loroi, is the innate sense of familial attachment psychologically/sociologically repressed in Loroi society or genetically missing? Is there a motherly or parental attachment to children that is suppressed when a Loroi female has a child?
In this respect Loroi are more like pack animals in which only a select set of alphas are permitted to breed; the children are raised communally by the entire pack as a familial unit. The daughter and biological mother have special relationship, but it's not like the human mother-child relationship. Traditionally, the Loroi alphas who are reproducing are the leaders of the group, and so are very busy people who leave the details of raising children to family members of lower rank. There are cases in which mothers and daughters become closely attached, but this is the exception rather than the rule. So, this is not a behavior that has to be suppressed; Loroi family instincts are different at a basic level.

Male children are normally taken into specialized care very soon after birth, and so their biological families often have very little to do with their upbringing (aside from some legal and ceremonial input into education choices, etc.). Loroi fathers have no role in child rearing and will rarely even meet most of their children.
DevilDalek wrote:How do Loroi wipe their bums? do they have paper or use the three shells principle? I've tried checking the only thing I can which is Alex's cell, but I cant make anything out.
I doubt that expendable wipes like toilet paper would be a good solution in a closed system like a starship, so they probably have some kind of sponge or cloth wipes that have sophisticated fibers and/or chemical treatments that make them easy to clean in an efficient and antiseptic manner. Fortunately I don't forsee any story situations in which this system would need to be fleshed out. :D

The individual detention cells don't have any bathroom facilities; this is for security considerations (and for the same reason that there are no visible air vents).

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote: In this respect Loroi are more like pack animals in which only a select set of alphas are permitted to breed; the children are raised communally by the entire pack as a familial unit. The daughter and biological mother have special relationship, but it's not like the human mother-child relationship. Traditionally, the Loroi alphas who are reproducing are the leaders of the group, and so are very busy people who leave the details of raising children to family members of lower rank. There are cases in which mothers and daughters become closely attached, but this is the exception rather than the rule. So, this is not a behavior that has to be suppressed; Loroi family instincts are different at a basic level.

Male children are normally taken into specialized care very soon after birth, and so their biological families often have very little to do with their upbringing (aside from some legal and ceremonial input into education choices, etc.). Loroi fathers have no role in child rearing and will rarely even meet most of their children.
Reading the above I have the sudden urge to point out that the modern style/ideal of a child being raised by just their parents is pretty much a very recent development, human families always used the extended family (grandparents, siblings, cousins and etc) in helping with taking care and raising the children. From having a familial creche of shorts for babies to having a relative teach their trade to the teenagers who were interested. In certain societies where vendettas were the norm it wasn't uncommon for extended families to practically wage war on one an other when an individual member of the family was wronged.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote:I doubt that expendable wipes like toilet paper would be a good solution in a closed system like a starship, so they probably have some kind of sponge or cloth wipes that have sophisticated fibers and/or chemical treatments that make them easy to clean in an efficient and antiseptic manner.
On real ISS a expendable toilet paper used and it's not appear to be a problem for rather closed system of a space station. It shouldn't be a problem to replenish lack of paper, especially in comparison to washing reusable cloth.
Outsider in Russian

D1ff3r3nt

Post by D1ff3r3nt »

SVlad wrote:
Arioch wrote:I doubt that expendable wipes like toilet paper would be a good solution in a closed system like a starship, so they probably have some kind of sponge or cloth wipes that have sophisticated fibers and/or chemical treatments that make them easy to clean in an efficient and antiseptic manner.
On real ISS a expendable toilet paper used and it's not appear to be a problem for rather closed system of a space station. It shouldn't be a problem to replenish lack of paper, especially in comparison to washing reusable cloth.
I just assumed they would use the 3 sea shells.