Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

No.

I've never had a massage either, and I doubt massages are a thing in the military.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Massages are a thing in all kind of high performance sports, where you go to the limits of your body.

But yeah, having an engineered metabolism might mean your muscles don't "luck up", or are much better at getting toxins out without the additional external help moving your muscles around.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:56 pm
No.

I've never had a massage either, and I doubt massages are a thing in the military.

I see...I reckon the Loroi would enjoy a human given one anyway as the human Lotai would be a boon in that case.

When they are off duty.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:37 pm
Arioch wrote:
No.

I see...I reckon the Loroi would enjoy a human given one anyway as the human Lotai would be a boon in that case.

When they are off duty.
Maybe, but if you grow up in a culture where you don't like to be touched by a stranger, I don't think it's that easy to just turn off.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:11 pm
Bamax wrote:
Arioch wrote:
No.

When they are off duty.
Maybe, but if you grow up in a culture where you don't like to be touched by a stranger, I don't think it's that easy to just turn off.
Unless you are Talon or Spiral LOL!

Talon was reluctant to shake Alex's hand, but after shaking it she no doubt realized firsthand that Alex totally blocks her telepathy.

No doubt she shared that with Spiral, which likely contributed to Spiral's dramatic 'time for the meeting of the hands' introduction.

I am quite sure the Loroi talk to each other about Alex nearby or in front of him all the time or any time....the comic subtlely alludes to that.

If foreign language people do it, Loroi do it a thousandfold!

After initial reluctance comes acceptance, and after that some of the more bold Loroi like Talon and Spiral would be all for human given massages.

Even the males would want it sooner or later or they would feel left out.

Too bad Umiak don't do massage. Could have galactic peace...through human given massage....just kidding LOL.

If only it were that easy.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Arioch wrote:
Bamax wrote:
Arioch wrote:
No.

When they are off duty.
Indeed, but the touch of a human would certainly feel different (being a lot warmer), which could lead to different outcomes. All it would take is the word of a few 'early adopters' to start a trend. For example, when I started eating sushi decades ago, it was far from being popular in Canada but now there are sushi shops everywhere.

I am surprised however, they do not have massages for therapeutic purposes, but then again if it is a taboo, it could be understandable.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

jterlecki wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:51 pm
Arioch wrote:
Bamax wrote:

When they are off duty.
Indeed, but the touch of a human would certainly feel different (being a lot warmer), which could lead to different outcomes. All it would take is the word of a few 'early adopters' to start a trend. For example, when I started eating sushi decades ago, it was far from being popular in Canada but now there are sushi shops everywhere.

I am surprised however, they do not have massages for therapeutic purposes, but then again if it is a taboo, it could be understandable.
The warmth is another plus I failed to mention. Loroi like warmth because they have a lower body temperature to begin with.

Talon seemed to like it, and Tempo even admitted she felt cold and missed her humid and hot homeworld.

Loroi and humans were practically made for one another!

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I would love to see Stillstorm's response if Alex offered her a massage.

She would likely glare, followed by Alex getting ushered out by Beryl who may as well be considered his Loroi guardian angel at this point, as Stilly already made it known she would just as well be done with Alex rather than keep him as a POW.

I am not sure why I like Stllstorm. Maybe because she is pretty, and would be especially if she bothered to fix herself up more. Maybe because she is forthright and you at least know where you stand with her.

Beyond that, frequently I have found in real life that former enemies can be the most trusted allies, and former friends the worst enemies.

Or rather succinctly, those I get along with at first are often my enemies later, while those who I do not get along with at first I usually grow to respect and they likewise toward me.

We may not be friends, but the respect is palpable, and that is what matters most for me.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 am
I would love to see Stillstorm's response if Alex offered her a massage.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Arioch wrote:
The United States military and department of veterans affairs use massages in a clinical context, for physical therapy. The goals are to improve soft tissue mobility, reduce scar formation, and reduce chronic pain. A 2016 Dept. of Veterans Affairs study found “potential benefits of massage for pain… However, no findings were rated as moderate- or high-strength.” (Quote from the study abstract.) The studies look better for improving mobility, I’ve found a few like this one with findings like “ The review findings suggest that massage therapy is effective in improving the shoulder flexion and abduction.” I did not try to find any studies on the effectiveness of massage therapy in reducing scar formation, but I’m sure they’ve been done.

Regardless, the Defense Health Agency and Dept. of Veterans Affairs both appear to find the benefits to be worth the expense. If the Loroi do use massages, it would probably be limited to the same clinical context. Likely therapeutic devices have been developed to eliminate the need for two Loroi to touch during the procedure. For some areas or injuries, self massage may be possible as well.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Arioch wrote:
Except you have already given us a situation where they seemed quite fine with very close contact. Just for a little extra warmth ;)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jagged wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:52 am
Arioch wrote:
Except you have already given us a situation where they seemed quite fine with very close contact. Just for a little extra warmth ;)
1. Not sure Alex is exactly a "stranger" at this point
2. "Just a little extra warmth" isn't such a little thing when you're freezing
3. Sleeping next to someone is not quite in the same leauge as having a masseur vigorously touching you all over

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:15 am
Jagged wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:52 am
Arioch wrote:
1. Not sure Alex is exactly a "stranger" at this point
2. "Just a little extra warmth" isn't such a little thing when you're freezing
3. Sleeping next to someone is not quite in the same leauge as having a masseur vigorously touching you all over

So despite all tha advantages Loroi have some things humans excel at that Loroi choose not to because it is difficult or uncomfortable.

1. Massage

2. Winter sports. Anything in the snow. Unless using heated suits with helmets.

On the other hand, I reckon Loroi should outlast a human in the hot desert due to lower body temperature. Although I don't if know if it would be long enough to make much difference.

Hours would. Minutes? No.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

New Question: I presume the Teidar on the whole are a worse at speaking Trade than Spiral... right?

Which frankly would make it super amusing if when Fireblade does speak, it's so choppy it makes Spiral seem like a pro by comparison LOL.

Like I am sure Fireblade has protocol and several warnings memorized well enough to say them well... but regular speech? Not so much I think.

It us one thing to understand a language but another to speak it with fluency.

I thought of this because one user wondered if Outsider was inverted... Loroi POW found by humans?

My take would be Fireblade of course, to challenge her non-speaking code to the breaking point as well as her diplomacy and escape artist skills to the max. Then again if she started killing people it would not end well for anyone, including her.

Humans will detonate theur own ships to keep them out of enemy hands.

If Germany did this with their subs in WW2, you know the TCA would.

Incinerator

Post by Incinerator »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:20 pm
On the other hand, I reckon Loroi should outlast a human in the hot desert due to lower body temperature. Although I don't if know if it would be long enough to make much difference.

Hours would. Minutes? No.
I would think it would be the other way around, just from pure thermodynamics. The greater the difference in temperature between one object or medium and another, the more quickly heat will transfer between the two. If we take something like a common summer daytime temperature in Arizona, 110F (43.3C), and compare:

Loroi mean body temperature of 27C: 43 - 27 = 16C difference.
Human mean body temperature of 37C: 43 - 37 = 6C difference.

This means a Loroi's body is having to try and dump heat at more than twice the rate as a human in the same conditions. Unless Loroi have some biological change that makes up the difference (or have a greater range of temperatures where their body's biochemistry continues to function), a Loroi is going to have a lot more trouble in this temperature than a human.

Obviously, this would be reversed in cold temperatures, so Loroi would have an edge there.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

In a cold situation, you can just insulate yourself, and so it really doesn't matter what your body temperature is as long as you're generating your own body heat and you have decent insulation. But a hot environment is a different problem; endothermic organisms in a hot environment need to not just endure external heat, but they also need to dump internally generated heat, which is why mammals sweat or pant. The hotter the external environment, the harder it is to get rid of this internal waste heat. That's one of the reasons why "cold-blooded" animals like reptiles can handle higher external temperatures, because they have no internal heat that needs to be disposed of.

An organism with a lower body temperature may gain heat from the environment faster, but they have less internal heat to get rid of. So I don't think that humans would really have any kind of advantage in a hot environment.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

from: https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/educ ... tures.html

"Warm-blooded animals require a lot of energy to maintain a constant body temperature. Mammals and birds require much more food and energy than do cold-blooded animals of the same weight. This is because in warm-blooded animals, the heat they lose is proportional to the surface area of their bodies, while the heat they produce is proportional to their mass. This means that larger warm-blooded animals can generate more heat than they lose and they can keep their body temperatures stable more easily. Smaller warm-blooded animals lose heat more quickly. So, it is easier to stay warm by being larger. Warm-blooded animals cannot be too small; otherwise, they will lose heat faster than they can produce it."

and

"The key to surviving in hot climates is not only to keep your body from overheating but also to prevent water loss. Animals that are adapted to desert life are not heavy sweaters—because water is scarce, they cannot afford to lose it by sweating. Also, a great deal of water is lost through breathing out, so desert animals expel dry air, reabsorbing the water in their breath before it has a chance to be expelled."

I also found that if Loroi blood uses something like Hemocyanin instead of Hemoglobin, their systems would be better adapted in general to colder temperatures than hotter ones (though some creatures that use Hemocyanin live in warm environment).

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

jterlecki wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:43 am
"Warm-blooded animals cannot be too small; otherwise, they will lose heat faster than they can produce it."
They can still get pretty small, though: the Etruscan Shrew, who holds the record of World's Smallest Mammal by mass, has an average adult weight of just 1.8 gram.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Eh, can we shrewdly get back on topic and talk about men Loroi, not mice?

1. Would it be uncommon for a particularly promising Listel to be promoted to a Torrai Sorimi to act as an adjutant/aide for a captain or commander?
2. What would be a more common choice for such personell?
3. What would be the career path here, Sadait, Manneil, then Sosareil? What would be her commanders corresponding rank? Would a Lashret need a Manneil?
4. What would happen if such a "pencil-pusher" were to be the highest ranking Torrai left in a given unit? Would she assume overall command or should such a task be given to the most senior/experienced captain?
5. Who is Stillstorms adjutant? Opal?

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

gaerzi wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:55 am
jterlecki wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:43 am
"Warm-blooded animals cannot be too small; otherwise, they will lose heat faster than they can produce it."
They can still get pretty small, though: the Etruscan Shrew, who holds the record of World's Smallest Mammal by mass, has an average adult weight of just 1.8 gram.
There are always going to be exceptions and special adaptations. What I shared is general "rules".