Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Krulle »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:55 pm
You're assuming that one night = one baby.
Nope, I'm not. But to have sired thousands of children, the male must have impregnated the same amount of females, minus some encounters for twin births.

But to enjoy your story, I simply don't care much,it's your story.

Thanks, and best wishes!
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:42 am
How powerful and influential was Greywind's mother to the point she could have 7 kids?
Influential enough to have 7 kids. :D Greywind's mother (currently unnamed) was part of the Mizol establishment on Deinar during the Neridi Succession War. She supported Eighth Dawn, and when Eighth Dawn became Third Emperor, Greywind's mother rose to very high office, possibly even the Diadem.

I think that the highest level officials can get sex pretty regularly, and so could have large numbers of children if they wanted to. But, I expect most wouldn't, partially because they're busy people, and partially because as age increases, fertility drops and the risk of complications (both to the mother and child) rises. Having a lot of children is simultaneously prestigious and somewhat vainglorious, as it implies that either you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and had very little of importance to do in the early part of your life, or else you acquired influence later in life and became obsessed with having children, perhaps to the detriment of your duties (and to your health). Greywind's mother would have fallen into the latter category.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 pm
Influential enough to have 7 kids. :D Greywind's mother (currently unnamed) was part of the Mizol establishment on Deinar during the Neridi Succession War. She supported Eighth Dawn, and when Eighth Dawn became Third Emperor, Greywind's mother rose to very high office, possibly even the Diadem.

I think that the highest level officials can get sex pretty regularly, and so could have large numbers of children if they wanted to. But, I expect most wouldn't, partially because they're busy people, and partially because as age increases, fertility drops and the risk of complications (both to the mother and child) rises. Having a lot of children is simultaneously prestigious and somewhat vainglorious, as it implies that either you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and had very little of importance to do in the early part of your life, or else you acquired influence later in life and became obsessed with having children, perhaps to the detriment of your duties (and to your health). Greywind's mother would have fallen into the latter category.
I now wonder how a Loroi would react to my great grandmothers from my father's side. One stopped at 12, the other at 11; the youngest born amidst WW2, none died in infancy and almost all reached adulthood. I got lots of cousins of whom I know nothing about. Supposedly both my great grandfathers called their wives 'bunny' because they wanted even more children (my great grandmothers that is).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 pm
I now wonder how a Loroi would react to my great grandmothers from my father's side. One stopped at 12, the other at 11; the youngest born amidst WW2, none died in infancy and almost all reached adulthood. I got lots of cousins of whom I know nothing about. Supposedly both my great grandfathers called their wives 'bunny' because they wanted even more children (my great grandmothers that is).
I don't think most reasonable Loroi would expect aliens to conform to their social norms, even if we do look a lot like them. Once they understand that our gender roles were reversed in those days, and it was the role the females to birth and raise children and manage the home, having a zillion kids would probably seem logical to them.

But I'll give props to your grannies, not just for each having a dozen kids, but for managing to keep them alive.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 am
dragoongfa wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 pm
I don't think most reasonable Loroi would expect aliens to conform to their social norms, even if we do look a lot like them. Once they understand that our gender roles were reversed in those days, and it was the role the females to birth and raise children and manage the home, having a zillion kids would probably seem logical to them.

But I'll give props to your grannies, not just for each having a dozen kids, but for managing to keep them alive.
Keeping them alive wasn't easy, especially amidst the occupation of WW2 and the massive famine that was caused by it. My grandmother told me once that she and her younger sister looked like the malnourished children of africa at the UNICEF posters of old and the only reason they survived was because their mothers and siblings went out in the forests to gather wild greens that seemed inedible to the Nazis and as thus weren't confiscated.

The two of them were a whole different breed of women.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Big mood.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

dragoongfa wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:52 am
Keeping them alive wasn't easy, especially amidst the occupation of WW2 and the massive famine that was caused by it. My grandmother told me once that she and her younger sister looked like the malnourished children of africa at the UNICEF posters of old and the only reason they survived was because their mothers and siblings went out in the forests to gather wild greens that seemed inedible to the Nazis and as thus weren't confiscated.

Side question, are you from Poland?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 pm
dragoongfa wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:52 am

Side question, are you from Poland?
Greece.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

German,here.

My grandmothers both reported how they had to be very careful nurturing their husbands back to health when they returned from the war.

(one returned from the front directly, after only a short internation, the other returned end of 1952 from Russia)

The one who returned early was is a bad shape, as in the week of imprisonment, his food was too good for his undernourishment, and his body threw up all the good food all the time.

The late returner got rationed food to keep him hungry, with slightly larger portions every week, until his body got accustomed to the larger food portions, and the better quality (=more energy in the food, e.g. soups less watered down)... By the time he returned, there were many guides around how to treat your malnourished husband back to health.

But those stories don't compare to what the Germans did to our yewish brothers in the horrible camps and ghettos, or what we did to the Polish and Ukranian people in the occupied territories.

(the western occupied territories didn't have it easy either, but compared to the Eastern neighbours, they got of "easy" (for certain values of "easy")).

I am so damn happy we Germans lost the wars.

But large family are known to my family tree as well.
One great-grandmother had 21 children (only 4 daughters), but most of them died on the frontiers of WW1 and WW2, the younger ones in the defensive flak positions near Cologne or the Ruhr basin (Duisburg/Essen/Oberhausen/...).
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 pm
kfcroc18 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:46 pm
I didn't think about that. What about someone who is named the fifth. like Henry V, not the king just some rando.
It's important to consider that the Loroi have been exposed to numerous alien cultures, so they have seen practices that differ from their own. The Barsam in particular reuse names frequently, differentiating individuals with modifiers like "the Younger" and "the Elder."

In the English speaking world, I've never heard of a commoner with a naming numeral higher than III, but we do have some quirky naming conventions. My father is from the South, and in his father's family, all three of the boys were named after their father, William, but each had a different middle name and was often called by that name (my grandfather William Fisher was often called "Fisher"). My father was also named William Fisher, and so he was called Junior (formally, William Fisher Francis Jr.). If I had also been named William Fisher, I would have been William Fisher Francis III, but instead William is my middle name.
Will Fuller V plays for the Dolphins. :P
Don't delay, join today!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I was watching "I won't let you down" by OK Go, and it brought up a question.
Would loroi be better at choreography than humans/non-telepathic species?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:19 pm
I don't think so. Dancers have to memorize their moves to perform them in sync... being told telepathically would still cause a delay that would put everyone out of step.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:08 pm
boldilocks wrote:
I don't think so. Dancers have to memorize their moves to perform them in sync... being told telepathically would still cause a delay that would put everyone out of step.
Perhaps it would be easier for the Loroi to learn the difficult to grasp nuances and 'group instincts' that a choreographic troop needs in order to remain in step but it should all come down to practice. I think that a Loroi troop that is fully in sync with each other would be quicker to learn a new dance than a non telepathic troop, if only because telepathy allows for faster understanding of each other's steps, maneuvers and positions.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 am
Arioch wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:08 pm
boldilocks wrote:
Perhaps it would be easier for the Loroi to learn the difficult to grasp nuances and 'group instincts' that a choreographic troop needs in order to remain in step but it should all come down to practice. I think that a Loroi troop that is fully in sync with each other would be quicker to learn a new dance than a non telepathic troop, if only because telepathy allows for faster understanding of each other's steps, maneuvers and positions.
I think telepathy would be a benefit in many group coordination tasks.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

The real question would be: how many Loroi practice dance at all? Collaboration is good and all, but it’s a physical skill.

mwightman

Post by mwightman »

boldilocks wrote:
where did they get all those scooters, umbrellas, and those killer socks . . lololol

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

kiwi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:07 am
The real question would be: how many Loroi practice dance at all? Collaboration is good and all, but it’s a physical skill.
I could easily see dance being a popular performance art. It's abstract and physical.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:13 pm
kiwi wrote:
I could easily see dance being a popular performance art. It's abstract and physical.
Would the Loroi have used dance as a theatrical portrayal of ancient battles and Loroi myths?

And while we're on the subject of art, what sort of music do Loroi have? What kind of Earth music would they like or not like?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:23 pm
Arioch wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Would the Loroi have used dance as a theatrical portrayal of ancient battles and Loroi myths?
I don't think so. They might have dances that celebrate certain myths or aspects of a myth (representing the virtues extolled in a particular myth), but for the most part the Loroi don't like "acting" or pretending to be other people, especially when it comes to their revered ancestors. It would seem like hubris. It would be kind of like a Muslim portraying Allah in a play... it's something that is just not done.
And while we're on the subject of art, what sort of music do Loroi have? What kind of Earth music would they like or not like?
The Loroi have many subcultures, and a wide variety of music. What most of it has in common is that it doesn't make use of vocals.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 pm
Snoofman wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:23 pm
Arioch wrote:

I don't think so. They might have dances that celebrate certain myths or aspects of a myth (representing the virtues extolled in a particular myth), but for the most part the Loroi don't like "acting" or pretending to be other people, especially when it comes to their revered ancestors. It would seem like hubris. It would be kind of like a Muslim portraying Allah in a play... it's something that is just not done.
The Loroi have many subcultures, and a wide variety of music. What most of it has in common is that it doesn't make use of vocals.
I guess Loroi would not appreciate fictional films that much then.

Music would be worth introducing to the Loroi.

I wonder how Loroi would react after humans introduce them to Andrea Bocelli's 'Caruso'. They might either be totally blown away or just not get it.