Insider, Updates

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

javcs

Re: Insider, Updates

Post by javcs »

ed_montague wrote:
Karst45 wrote:
Count Casimir wrote: Alex walks out of his cell.

"Hey."
"...Hello. Who are you?"
"Greywind, fourth Emperor of the Loroi Nation."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
"Well, that's pretty cool."
*awkward silence*
So... Have you seen that girl, Ashrain? what a sexy thing!
That my grand niece
*embarrassed* i mean what a noble, young, promising warrior.
That what i tought.
*disbelieved* I will be in the airlock
Good boy.
Dammit. You made me choke.

Although I don't know what the Loroi attitude would be towards physical attractiveness and the complimenting thereof. For all we know, Graywind could immediately set up a mating encounter between Alex and Ashrain. After all, he is the human plenipotentiary and ambassador--quite an impressive post (once the whole "verify this alien's story" business gets put aside), even if humans are kinda technologically backward. We still look pretty much like Loroi.

Of course, genetically it probably wouldn't work out in the end, but this is a webcomic dammit. If we can have blue-skinned telepathic alien space elves, we can have fertile offspring from cross-species interaction. Especially with Loroi medical technology behind us.

What I mean to say is, shipping Alex/Ashrain isn't exactly out of the question.
Eh ... while Loroi and humans are physically compatible, I believe that Arioch has stated that they're biochemically incompatible as far as children go.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

I know. They're two different species from two different parts of the galaxy. Even if both humans and Loroi descended from a common ancestor, by now it's likely that they've diverged sufficiently to prevent reproduction.

Still...
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

junk

Post by junk »

I'd say they're definitely incompatible, unless you wanted to make a lab chimeara.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

ed_montague wrote:I know. They're two different species from two different parts of the galaxy. Even if both humans and Loroi descended from a common ancestor, by now it's likely that they've diverged sufficiently to prevent reproduction.

Still...
only the loroi body temperature alone would make it impossible. So if you add into the mix other particularity it really unlikely. (so much Y in that last part :P)

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Gaahhh. I wasn't seriously shipping Alex/Ashrain. I know full well the impossibilities involved in that particular pairing.

Besides, I'd much prefer seeing Alex/Beryl.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

ed_montague wrote:Gaahhh. I wasn't seriously shipping Alex/Ashrain. I know full well the impossibilities involved in that particular pairing.

same result would happen, though she have a "warmer" character, she still a loroi!

BTW you think alex would keep his socks. and would beryl be offended?

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

ed_montague wrote:Gaahhh. I wasn't seriously shipping Alex/Ashrain. I know full well the impossibilities involved in that particular pairing.

Alex can't have her anyway.
Ashrain is best rain.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Count Casimir wrote:

Hm, Would love to see what Beryl meant.
sapere aude.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Count Casimir wrote:

You tell 'im, Cas.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Trantor wrote:
Count Casimir wrote:

Hm, Would love to see what Beryl meant.
I must say, that section was quite humorous. I still can't tell whether Alex' face is saying "I'm a soldier, not an infant," or "Did I just decline a proposition?"

And I was partly speaking in jest in that original post. If we're on the topic of shipping characters, though, we might as well go the full nine yards. Alex/Graywind, anyone?
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Karst45 wrote:

same result would happen, though she have a "warmer" character, she still a loroi!
Actually, I think that for Alex almost any Loroi other than Beryl (at least that he's met) would be a safer choice.

Beryl strikes me as the sort to use probes. Everywhere. Remember, SCIENCE!!!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Do I have to bust out the shipping wall?
Don't delay, join today!

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Break out the can(n)on! Fire the ship-to-ship missiles! All hands on deck!
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Riess

Post by Riess »

Blue people! Finally remembered to read that thing. Hope I'm not dropping any that were already named:

The Benzites from Star Trek: TNG came to mind. Star Wars also has a few more to offer, the Duros first seen in the Cantina in the original movie, the Nelvaanians who resemble the Na'vi quite a lot appeared in Clone Wars Vol. 2, and the Pantorans were seen in RotS (a senator portrayed by Mr. Lucas himself) and keep popping up in The Clone Wars in varying degrees of cuteness.

(The Estrow will remain well in the purple range for now, concepts range from purplish blue to purple to lavender but it's going to be a while until any of that enters canon.)

EDIT: Oh, and then there's the Osamodas from Wakfu for consideration, although I don't personally know all that much about them.
Our Intrepid Crew - Space Opera Webcomic

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I always thought of the Duros as green. I don't pay much attention to the EU stuff, so if it's not in the movies or Bioware games, I don't think it exists (Star Wars snob, yes).

Osamodas look like a good fit.

edit: I actually follow the guy who did the Wakfu characters designs on DeviantArt. Small damn Internet.

edit2: Anyone know any details about the Japanese collectible card game Shinrabansho? A number of the characters are blue, mostly with demonic features (the most often seen character in fanart is the succubus-like Astaroth).

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

I just remembered the Buzz Lightyear cartoon from about a decade ago.

I used to watch the show, but forgot pretty much everything about it until recently.

They had several blue humanoids on that show.

However, the most fitting would obviously be the pointy-eared, psychically powered Tangeans.

The Tangeans have pointy ears and quite a bit of arrogance, but they are not particularly militant, and despite their most visible representative in the show being their princess, Mira Nova, they are not matriarchal.
Tangean Royals have the ability to move through solid objects, to manipulate objects at a distance, and to mess around with people's minds. Mira renders Buzz unconscious by actually shoving her hand through Buzz's skull and HANDLING his brain, physically, in the animated movie, but I'm pretty sure I remember more powerful Tangeans being able to achieve this through telepathy alone in the series. All blue Tangeans all have the ability to move through solid objects at will, which comes in handy for Mira pretty often, but Mira was usually criticized by other Tangeans for not focusing on developing her mind-powers enough. I don't think we ever really got to see what sort of things she was supposed to be capable of; telekinesis and shifting herself and others in and out of tangibility and telepathic abilities and all the rest of it... seems kinda like there might not necessarily be a meaningful limit to their power set.

The Tangean homeworld is to appearances run on a strict caste system, with the blue Tangean Royals on top and the brown-skinned Tangean Grounders in a less enviable position. Grounders didn't really have much resemblance to the aristocratic Royals, but I'm pretty sure they were two separate paths for the same species, since they both had mind powers (which canceled each other out, iirc).

On a different note, one of the things I've noticed is that a lot of blue peoples have bright red eyes. Including certain Loroi. This is probably for color contrast related reasons, I guess. It's a pretty common trait for them and might deserve its own marker in the Registry.

Finally, I'm pretty sure that the white-haired, psionic, immortal Guardians of the Universe from the Green Lantern comics and cartoons used to be on the Registry, and am wondering if/why they left.
ImageImage

Oh, and speaking of the Guardians, they apparently had a counterpart race: the blue-skinned, matriarchal, all-female, immortal, aggressively militant, psionic Zamarons, wielders of the power of Love/Lust.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I didn't previously have the Guardians of the Universe listed, but there's an entry for them now.

Over the past week or so I have added:
  • Barsam
  • Centaurians
  • Duros
  • Ether Tribe
  • Frost Giants
  • Guardians of the Universe
  • Osamodas
  • Pantorans
  • Shivarra
  • Tangeans
  • Wraith
  • Yordles

Michael

Post by Michael »

I don't see a mention of the Nac Mac Feegles. This saddens me, here's a small description

The Nac Mac Feegle (also known as Pictsies, the Wee Free Men, the Little Men, 'Person or Persons Unknown, Believed to be Armed', 'That's him, the third one from the left!", and occasionally 'The Defendants') are a type of fairy folk appearing in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels Carpe Jugulum, The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight. Aside from being six inches tall, they just about invert the Victorian concept of mystical and refined fairies, and hark back to the fairies of folklore, who were generally seen as occasionally helpful thieves (stealing every thing not nailed down, and even then they'd probably take the nails) and pests.The Nac Mac Feegles' skin appears blue because it is heavily tattooed and covered with paint, and all have red hair.

(sorry if this comes out slightly large)
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Someone recommended the Nac Mac Feegle via email, but as I understand it, they're not actually blue -- the blue color comes from tattoos and/or paint.

Michael

Post by Michael »

AH, but isn't it only Tangeans royalty that are blue? technically they aren't all blue, so the Nac Mac Feelgles could be entered on that basis
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!