Insider, Updates

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Solemn

Re: Insider, Updates

Post by Solemn »

A google search has taught me that in Marvel's Thor movie (which I have never seen), Frost Giants are blue.

But in Marvel's comics, it varies.
Also I learned that Marvel changed Laufey from Loki's otherwise undistinguished mother into a male king of all frost giants for some reason (I don't follow superhero comics).
ed_montague wrote:(Edit: The Environment Design page seems to have been updated recently.
ed_montague wrote:On that note, what do you guys think is going to happen?
I think Arioch might be preparing to transfer Alex to a new environment, be it a new room or an entirely new ship. Which means making new CGI sets and possibly updating the Environment Design, perhaps as a farewell to the Tempest's interior sets.

If so, this could take a while.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

ed_montague wrote: Fireblade and/or Beryl are amazed and disconcerted by this "human's" combat abilities.
how do you human call this fighting technique

hmm i was... just brake dancing...

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

The blue Sea Reapers of Giants: Citizen Kabuto are militant, magical/elemental, dictatorial, regenerate while under water, serve a reigning matriarch, and, of course,
Wikipedia wrote:Planet Moon initially conceived the Sea Reaper single-player character, Delphi, as evil but changed her to be a rebel with a conscience.[18] They also made her topless.[20]
...beautiful/alluring.

In that game there is also the titular blue giant, Kabuto.

You might also put up an honorable mention for SHODAN and Cortana, who are by various definitions not people, and are often not blue, but look close enough often enough to count.

ImageImage
Karst45 wrote:
ed_montague wrote: Fireblade and/or Beryl are amazed and disconcerted by this "human's" combat abilities.

Surely it will be Alex's battle-rap skills that save the day, rather than dance choreography.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

How could I forget the Chiss and the Blueberries? :o
Ashrain is best rain.

junk

Post by junk »

Am I blind or have I not yet seen the Smurfs be mentioned.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

junk wrote:Am I blind or have I not yet seen the Smurfs be mentioned.

And no, i´m not going to answer the question... ;)
sapere aude.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Solemn wrote:You might also put up an honorable mention for SHODAN and Cortana, who are by various definitions not people, and are often not blue, but look close enough often enough to count.
In my headcanon, SHODAN's “skin” is black, not silver. :)

Also my conpeople, the safir, are eerily similar to the Loroi, but I didn't know of Outsider when I constructed the safir, so I belive the words “convergent” and “evolution” are in order :P
Don't delay, join today!

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

CJ Miller wrote:
Solemn wrote:You might also put up an honorable mention for SHODAN and Cortana, who are by various definitions not people, and are often not blue, but look close enough often enough to count.
In my headcanon, SHODAN's “skin” is black, not silver. :)
According to my handcannon she looks aquamarine.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Headcanon isn't near as easy to misplace as handcannon :P
Don't delay, join today!

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:

*snerk*

Repeat: NAC MAC FEEGLE
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

I can't believe I didn't mention this earlier.

Drinniol, from Marathon 1.

Big, slow-moving blue-skinned and blue-blooded bullet sinks. Used to decent effect on the level The Rose, where they served as an effective way to overcome certain engine limitations (I believe only about a baker's dozen creatures could be "awake" at a given time in the original engine, so you'd need a relatively small number of creatures in a given encounter if you wanted them all to be active and able to occupy your full attention), while still allowing you to save (one or two of) the civilians in the entry rooms. Just keep the Hulks' attention while focusing your own efforts on actually killing the faster and more numerous fighters, and don't grenade your own civilians or defense drones. (Easier said than done, of course. Also, any and all strategies are made useless on Marathon 1's Aleph One port, where Leela gives you the "failure" message no matter what the outcome of your mission, making her seem like a bit of a bitch).

Used to poor effect on the level Blaspheme Quarantine, where their bullet sink properties only serve to make the level slightly more irritating and time-consuming.

(I do kinda enjoy punching them to death, though. There's an actual feeling of having overcome a slight challenge there.)

Never used again in the canonical series, occasionally pop up in fan scenarios. Possibly notably, turned from time-consuming bullet sinks into vicious and unduly difficult enemies in Rubicon and Rubicon X, where they throw a constant stream of ridiculously fast-moving bouncing grenades at you instead of bringing their fists to a rocket fight like honorable aliens.

Craig Mullins made a digital painting attempting to capture the feeling of almost-pathos I and other players felt upon watching the Drinniol death animation. They make this sound, sort of a moan/death rattle, and in-story you learn that they're just poor abused slaves, not monsters at all--which really goes miles to explain why they aren't given real weapons, too, another way Rubicon's grenade-spewing blue-skinned abominations seem out of place.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I'm not really looking to stuff the page with dozens of "honorable mentions." :D

I added entries for Chiss, Genasi, Sea Reapers (great suggestion!), and Tau, as those seemed like no-brainers. The others will require more consideration and research.

Frost Giants probably deserve some kind of entry.
Solemn wrote:In the sci-fi webcomic The End, by Ran and Cory Brown, there are two distinct groups of humanlike aliens. ... Were the notable features of the Fiah and the Ith combined, in my opinion the result would not be entirely dissimilar to the Loroi. However, since they are not combined, this is more a matter of me plugging a completely different comic that I happen to like rather than illustrating some actual meaningful parallel with another work.
Well, thanks for the plug, anyway. It looks like an interesting comic.
Grayhome wrote:Also, now that I think about it, are there albino Loroi?
Yes, but albinism would probably exclude them from military service.

There are normal Loroi with white hair or very pale skin, however.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Repository of Blue Peoples wrote:Sea Reapers (Giants: Citizen Kabuto)

The Sea Reapers inhabit the waters of a planetoid known only as "Island." They are apparently all female,
Wikipedia's article on Giants: Citizen Kabuto wrote:Standard enemies include Reaper Guards, male Reapers with no magical ability who serve as common soldiers, as well as fauna such as the insectoid Rippers, beasts of burden Sonaks, and bat-like Verms.
Might want to edit that.

I've never actually played the game so I don't know what models predominate either. Found out about it while trying to coerce Google to tell me whether Frost Giants were ever described as blue by the Norse. They're still matriarchal, in that their ruler is a matriarch and her successor is a female and their player character is that same female, they just aren't universally female.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I played the game, and I don't recall any male Reapers. Though it was a long time ago.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Google keeps telling me that there's a unit type called "Reaperman" and that there are Reaper males, though I can't really make out any secondary sex traits on most of the screenshots that aren't of Princess Delphi.

(Also all of the large Sea Reaper images with a decent look at the Reaper in question that I have found are of Princess Delphi. The non-USA version, without the bikini top. If there are males, people don't seem to feel like sharing the pics.)

EDIT: Found a pic. On a non-English site, which for reasons of its own does not allow right-clicking. Had to crawl for a bit to retrieve the image.

elorran

Post by elorran »

In last years release Dungeon Siege 3 there was introduced a blue skinned race called Archons. This is a spirit linked sisterhood of fire spirits who were created to serve their gods, gods who have since disappeared. Part of the back plot of the game is their factions search for their creators whilst conducting a preserved revenge against the players own faction, the 10th Legion. One of the four playable characters is actually an orphaned Archon called Anjali.

For the sake of reference you can get the game on steam. It must have been at of some success as they created an expansion for the game some months after. I would however point out the game is moderately entertaining at best. It could have been a lot better.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Yordles, from League of Legends? Though they're not all blue, there are at least 3 that are unquestionably blue--Tristana, Poppy, and Rumble.

http://edge2.mobafire.com/images/champi ... istana.jpg

I believe Tristana and Poppy were originally meant to be a different race called Meglings, but the idea was scrapped and all the "small people" became yordles for simplicity's sake.
Ashrain is best rain.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

I like the more esoteric articles on Wikipedia. Here's a bunch of blues:
Aranes wrote:The Aranes of Arane II are a race of light blue skinned, white haired humanoids, with tiny blue potruding horns on their foreheads. Rolind Siepur of Arane II is a member of the Dark Circle.[21]
Giants of Ogyptu wrote:The Giants of Ogyptu are blue skinned nude titans on the planet Ogyptu in the Vega system. Time appears to pass much slower for them than it does for other species, and they are for all intents and purposes immortal.[59]
Krells wrote: - The Krells of New Krell are blue skinned, wrinkly, cone headed aliens, who live on a Superman shaped generation ship they call New Krell.[90]
This is just silly.
Lartnecs wrote:Blue skin humanoid race. Star Sapphire Miri Riam hails from Lartnec
Doesn't sound noteworthy. I think Star Sapphires are supposed to have some sort of lust-based superpowers, but that wouldn't apply to the race as a whole.
Myrmitons wrote:The Myrmitons are the blue skinned rulers of the Myrmiton Star Empire, they attempted a secret invasion of Earth which was foiled by Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) and the Flash (Barry Allen).[104]
Doesn't sound noteworthy.
Talokians wrote:(Talok III) - The light blue skinned natives of Talok III are Mikaal Tomas' (Starman) people.[144][145]
(Talok IV) - The sapphire blue skinned natives of Talok IV are Lyssa Drak's people. Lyssa is a member of the Sinestro Corps.[146]

(Talok VIII) - The dark blue skinned natives of Talok VIII are Tasmia Mallor's (Shadow Lass) people. It is also the homeworld of her brother Grev Mallor, and her ancestors Lyrissa Mallor and Lydea Mallor.[147]
Tasmia Mallor's article wrote:Like all Talokians native to Talok VIII, she has dark blue skin and pointed ears.
These appear to all be the same species, with pointy ears as a superficial ethnic difference.
Tellurians wrote: - The Tellurians of Telluria are basically blue skinned Klingons with red gems in their foreheads. The gems in their foreheads enable them to fire mind bolts. They are technologically advanced. They are represented by the brothers Farlund and Karmault.[148]
...magic Klingons?

I have also become aware of the a Marvel wiki which has a specific category for this subject.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Of course, what everyone's waiting for is Page 99. Any last-minute bets on what it's gonna be? I'm still going for some sort of armed conflict/general mayhem. According to our pollsters, a situation in which Alex does something reckless and foolhardy is second, while twenty panels of projectile vomiting is coming in third. Any takers? Anyone?
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Alex tripping and falling on top of Beryl, just as Shinji did to Rei in the Evangelion episode “Rei I”.
Don't delay, join today!