Page 222: Take Care What You Choose For Cover

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

QuakeIV

Page 222: Take Care What You Choose For Cover

Post by QuakeIV »

Wonder what would happen if one of those took a hit.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page 222: Take Care What You Choose For Cover

Post by Arioch »

They probably don't store them fueled... but you probably don't want to take that chance.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

No wonder Loroi find Alex creepy. He must feel like a robot made of flesh to their senses.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Funny how a scientist warrior doesn't give Enzin a bit more cautious advice rather than just saying, "Choose a place of cover that suits you, but be mindful of what it is."

I love you, Beryl.

CNW

Post by CNW »

Shome thingsh in there don't react well to bulletsh..

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

Yeah, like me. *I* don't react well to bullets!

Said2k

Post by Said2k »

raistlin34 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:05 am
No wonder Loroi find Alex creepy. He must feel like a robot made of flesh to their senses.
The book "Blindsight" shows super-smart aliens who don't have consciousness or self-awareness. The Loroi see us the same way. They think we are like zombies, unable to understand our own minds or feel our existence unlike any other living beings they've met.

They may compare us to fake personalities or advanced forms of things like ChatGPT, without real consciousness.

Clockwork Ninja

Post by Clockwork Ninja »

raistlin34 wrote:
I remember watching star trek years ago and noting that when Data interacted with telepaths, they always treated him with friendly curiosity. Though that is in line with ST philosophy, in another setting wouldn't it make sense for a telepath to find someone with no detectable thoughts kind of unsettling, like meeting someone with no face? Even if they were polite and friendly, it would be rather off-putting.

I wonder if a telepathic species would have a horror story about people without detectable minds as like a zombie equivalent. Behave yourself child, or "the thoughtless ones" will come for you- you won't sense them coming, they will devour your mind and make you into one of them!

Maybe that wouldn't work with the Loroi, since Sanzai conveys all information unambiguously, the kids would know the story wasn't true?

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

They've also already encountered the Mannadi which gave them a glimpse of what a species who can resist their detection could be like. I don't think they see him as anything more than a more extreme that. It may make some of them nervous, and one or two intensely curious with a desire to learn as much as possible about humans in every way, but I doubt they see him as not being a sentient.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

projekcja

Post by projekcja »

Beryl wrote: The position is already clear[...] I... that is, We Loroi... can sense the presence of minds near to us.
raistlin34 wrote:
That brings up an important point - why is Beryl so sure the area is clear just because she can't sense minds, might there not be automated or robotic defences without minds?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

projekcja wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:44 pm
That brings up an important point - why is Beryl so sure the area is clear just because she can't sense minds, might there not be automated or robotic defences without minds?
Would you put automated weaponry... in the place where you store your torpedoes?

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Because Fireblade, being highly trained, wouldn't declare an area cleared unless the automated defenses had been taken care of first.

As for Alex, how creeped the Loroi are seems to depend on the individual. Some have reacted rather badly, others with curiosity. I rather suspect that Tempo had a hand in selecting the personnel accompanying them on this basis (including the curious ones, that is).

I can strongly recommend the novel "Blindsight" (It's available for free online), but it's rather bleak. Don't read if you like happy endings!

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

I am not sure the Umaki would be so stupid as to open up with weapons in a magazine.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

If they are willing to scuttle the ship, they would open fire in the armory.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

That ...
Gives me
a) the creeps.
b) the feeling that the Umiak may have an anti-detection device on board, and that there is one hiding very close by.
And that ultimately Alex will be the one finding "it", showing the Loroi they've become too reliant on their telepathic ability, when he prevents "It" from shooting Beryl in the back.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:52 pm
That ...
Gives me
a) the creeps.
b) the feeling that the Umiak may have an anti-detection device on board, and that there is one hiding very close by.
And that ultimately Alex will be the one finding "it", showing the Loroi they've become too reliant on their telepathic ability, when he prevents "It" from shooting Beryl in the back.
It's called a camera lol.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Regarding cameras, it does seem like if they aren't aware of the intrusion into the ship yet, they probably will be shortly.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

QuakeIV wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:05 am
Regarding cameras, it does seem like if they aren't aware of the intrusion into the ship yet, they probably will be shortly.
The ones that aren't dead are very well aware. But by this point the Loroi are already in control of the bridge, the magazine, and main engineering.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:33 am
QuakeIV wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:05 am
The ones that aren't dead are very well aware. But by this point the Loroi are already in control of the bridge, the magazine, and main engineering.
"All hands to the Battle/Secondary Bridge!"

Even so, as far as I'm aware there's nobody left guarding the hangar bay. Perhaps there's a certain shuttle there of which the reactor can be overloaded? ;)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

The Loroi came from the hangar, and split into different directions.
Likely, nobody is left in the hanger as they know it is clear, and nobody had a chance to move into the direction of the hangar.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195