How The Loroi and Umiak Became The Empires They Are... Funny But I Bet This Is More Or Less True..m

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

How The Loroi and Umiak Became The Empires They Are... Funny But I Bet This Is More Or Less True..m

Post by Bamax »

This. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbMKlLnx9H8

Once you have what you need you are no longer in survival mode, and you look toward getting involved with the lives of others... just like every national superpower nation IRL.

Demarquis

Re: How The Loroi and Umiak Became The Empires They Are... Funny But I Bet This Is More Or Less True..m

Post by Demarquis »

No matter how much you have, there is always more...

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: How The Loroi and Umiak Became The Empires They Are... Funny But I Bet This Is More Or Less True..m

Post by Arioch »

The Umiak are always in survival mode. You're not paranoid if everyone really is out to get you! You need a buffer zone, and then a buffer zone for that buffer zone, and...

The Loroi got an empire similar to the way Napoleon did, through a series of (what he viewed were) defensive wars.

But I don't think expansionism really has anything to with "f*cking up some noobs."

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:52 am
The Umiak are always in survival mode. You're not paranoid if everyone really is out to get you! You need a buffer zone, and then a buffer zone for that buffer zone, and...

The Loroi got an empire similar to the way Napoleon did, through a series of (what he viewed were) defensive wars.

But I don't think expansionism really has anything to with "f*cking up some noobs."
The more you describe the Umiak the more they seem like Opto asking dangerous looking guys if they wanna get put to sleep... only the Umiak are'nt joking.

You go around asking everyone to submit or else and you don't you think that might have a teeny weeny bit to do with WHY everyone is out to get you lol?

Umiak. Smart as individuals. But like mobs on a civilization scale.... not so much.

Have the Umiak ever been nearly totally defeated by an alien power before? Because I guess that makes sense if so... but if not then surely their paranoia must realize that you CANNOT win ever scenario and some fights you are better off avoiding.

Given their long war with the Loroi... I suspect the Umiak have never been brought to near defeat by an alien power, at least not in known recent history.

I am sure during the age of the Soia they were ransacked to hell and back like everyone else... so I guess that explains the paranoia.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Both factions for the most part incorporated lesser races and only the loroi so far really prevailed over something particularly challenging.

Consider the following:
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/union_races.html
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/hierarchy_races.html

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

The Hierarchy is a totalitarian behemoth endlessly striving to obtain more slaves and resources to feed its conquest machine. It cannot rest until the entire galaxy is under the boot, because anything not within the Hierarchy is an existential threat to the Hierarchy. To me, the Umiak resemble the Soviet Union, desperately seeking one more mountain range, one more wide river, one more slave satellite state to anchor their border further from the Muscovite heartland.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Seems to apply to contemporary Russia just as well.