Page 217: Where is Cloud?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

QuakeIV

Page 217: Where is Cloud?

Post by QuakeIV »

SpoilerShow
RIP

Overkill Engine

Re: Page 217: Where is Cloud?

Post by Overkill Engine »

It's a Total War, Jardin, not an Ethics class in college.

Cloud was the most expendable person that could accomplish the needed objective. Simple as.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

SpoilerShow
I commissioned this before the WIP page was posted on patreon.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I need new shoes.
This now has to wait a month.
Mourning period starting now.

May we have a minute of silence?

(nice precognition, Dragoongfa)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arent

Post by Arent »

Waaah, not Cloud!

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Thought so.. but damn.
She was a nice girl.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Jardin never got to hear her voice.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Damn.

The nicest ones are always the first to go.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine »

"A good death is its own reward," is, I guess, a Loroi thing.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:18 pm
Damn.

The nicest ones are always the first to go.
At least Arioch didn't kill Spiral.

Should he dare to, I'll stop reading the webcomic for at least 1 whole hour.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Overkill Engine wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 am
It's a Total War, Jardin, not an Ethics class in college.

Cloud was the most expendable person that could accomplish the needed objective. Simple as.
Should have put her in an orange jump suit. Wouldn't you get suspicious if the fighter pilot you find in the wreck is dressed like a bobby?

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

I hope Alex responds well and with respect.
Something along the lines that she is the true hero of this event or something.
I also hope he expresses the fact that most humans find what she did wrong, and states she could of tried to put of resistance. Dying fighting should be respected in any warrior culture and really would of sold the "bit" they are trying to project. If it was quick, there was no resistance.

Thou a few cultures do have ritualized suicide for honorable deaths. This maybe the case for her too.

Rip Cloud

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I got the feeling that for cloud there was no other option.

If not her they were all going to die anyway.... and if she cared about the Loroi winning the war at all... and she does... she would offer her life.

That is a reality all IRL soldiers accept. Part of the job is a willingness to give your life under orders.

If cloud refused, not only would it make the other Loroi view her as selfish and cowardly, but the stern look Fireblade gave her seemed to imply that Fireblade would not accept noncompliance.

In other words, had Cloud refused I am sure the other Loroi would just shoot her and make it look like suicide to fool the umiak.

Survival is survival. Hard choices is better than none (death for all).

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

In retrospect, Cloud was doomed anyway.  Alex is wearing her space helmet, and the ship underwent sudden decompression.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:19 pm
I got the feeling that for cloud there was no other option.

If not her they were all going to die anyway.... and if she cared about the Loroi winning the war at all... and she does... she would offer her life.

That is a reality all IRL soldiers accept. Part of the job is a willingness to give your life under orders.

If cloud refused, not only would it make the other Loroi view her as selfish and cowardly, but the stern look Fireblade gave her seemed to imply that Fireblade would not accept noncompliance.

In other words, had Cloud refused I am sure the other Loroi would just shoot her and make it look like suicide to fool the umiak.

Survival is survival. Hard choices is better than none (death for all).
This is also true, though i would never order my men under me to do it.
I have yet to be put in a situation where that choice had to be made, so sorry for lack of experience. I always tactically found the way out or different path, where even those that had to die, still did so with a plan and a path ahead of them knowing full well what they are doing and chose it (mind you my exp is in paint ball, not the same level as this).

In clouds case, i could see her last orders being "shoot them as they breach and fight till the last round. Then make your choice, by there hand or yours, Die with honor in battle."

Direct suicide tho would play the bit they are selling somewhat. To me it would look suspect in my eyes as a leader. She has air, food, water and power (tho limited). There is hope of rescue for her still, so why suicide? even more so in a warrior race, she would rather die fighting than turn over the ship to the enemy.

If she fought to the last round tho, it would show a. she is the only one onboard since no one helped and b. something worth fighting for is onboard, as in cargo. Since she just didn't wait for them to dock and then self destruct.

That is what i had in my mind.

It was also re-enforced by them going right to the cargo hold (in mass) after taking the ship, and from what i saw, only doing a basic check for the rest of the ship. Yah one came back to check for them, but only one.

Truth be told tho she was dead the moment they breached anyway. No air, maybe that's why she did it, to save her self the suffering of decompression.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Kelvandos wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:48 pm
I also hope he expresses the fact that most humans find what she did wrong, and states she could of tried to put of resistance. Dying fighting should be respected in any warrior culture and really would of sold the "bit" they are trying to project. If it was quick, there was no resistance.
If she had put up a fight, that could have led to a number of undesirable outcomes. The Umiak might have been able to capture her alive, or they might have just backed off and destroyed the shuttle.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:47 pm
Kelvandos wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:48 pm
If she had put up a fight, that could have led to a number of undesirable outcomes. The Umiak might have been able to capture her alive, or they might have just backed off and destroyed the shuttle.
Because to Umiak and other aliens... Loroi are like a wildcard bogey man.

You do not know if you are dealing with an uber Teidar who can kill with a mere gaze or just an average Loroi witj a blaster.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

To the Umiak, all intelligent lifeforms -- including their own -- are fit only for experimentation, modification, and service to the horde-order.

A quick death would be preferable when compared to being captured by the Umiak.  Just ask Fireblade.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:04 pm
To the Umiak, all intelligent lifeforms -- including their own -- are fit only for experimentation, modification, and service to the horde-order.

A quick death would be preferable when compared to being captured by the Umiak.  Just ask Fireblade.

I am not an apologist for the Umiak but that is an exaggeration.

Some Umiak client races have a lot of autonomy and retain it so long they meet their tribute (resource extraction) quotas.

Umiak do treat people like equipment to get a job done, but expirimentation and modification is more a Umiak thing.... because Umiak are ultra team players.

If Umiak treated all client races the same way they treated each other and had the same expectations, I think even the Umiak know their empire woulx crumble.

You cannot expect the same from as a cat as you would a dog.

Loroi are an exception since they are both a threat and the enemy.