Page 215: About to Jump? Take drugs!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page 215: About to Jump? Take drugs!

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:38 pm
On the matter of the mentioned vibrations during jump. Is this something that happens despite your tech level or equipment within the Outsider setting?
I can imagine that human jump technology might be cruder then what the Loroi and Umiak use, so the latter might be able to have easier transitions through hyperspace?
The vibration from the jump generator is just one element of what makes the transition to hyperspace disconcerting. A higher-tech generator might produce less vibration, but I think that Humanity's and Loroi/Umiak generators are about the same in this regard.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:59 pm
GeoModder wrote:
On the matter of the mentioned vibrations during jump. Is this something that happens despite your tech level or equipment within the Outsider setting?
I can imagine that human jump technology might be cruder then what the Loroi and Umiak use, so the latter might be able to have easier transitions through hyperspace?
The vibration from the jump generator is just one element of what makes the transition to hyperspace disconcerting. A higher-tech generator might produce less vibration, but I think that Humanity's and Loroi/Umiak generators are about the same in this regard.
Is there any chance to stop the vibration?

Post by avatar576 »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:08 pm
Arioch wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:59 pm
GeoModder wrote:
They probably could with a robust active vibration damping system. It's not very complicated technology and it's readily available today. I can think of a couple of possibilities for the severity vibration they experience.
1.) The generator uses so much power that they don't really have enough left over for an active system, so they just use a passive system instead.
2.) They do use an active system, but the power/space/weight requirements to fully dampen the generator are still prohibitive, so they settled for "won't tear the ship apart" instead.

But I think it boils down to the fact that these are military ships. Comfort is not a primary concern, and whenever you increase the complexity of the system, you increase the chances that something will fail. Why waste all those resources on a system with lots of moving parts when you can just give each crew member some happy pills and a rag to bite down on?

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Female crewmembers would complain. Why do you think the Loroi have no problem with the jumps. ;)

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

I'm with Fireblade--giving him a weapon is a friendly fire disaster waiting to happen. Make him walk in front Beryl!

Human meat shield for the win!!!

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

G. Janssen wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:13 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Female crewmembers would complain. Why do you think the Loroi have no problem with the jumps. ;)
okay that is funny

Demetrious

Post by Demetrious »

I love how, despite the severity of the situation, Fireblade has pissed Alex off enough that he cannot help but take some satisfaction in her being annoyed at him having a weapon. I can sympathize.

It must also be satisfying to have some small measure of agency. Ever since the destruction of his ship, Alex has largely been a passenger. When things are about to get loud, it's a great relief to have something in your hand.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

It seems to me that if vibrations from the jump were easily neutralized by dampers, they would be so. Overcoming jump sickness is a great tactical advantage! So I'd be inclined to believe that the vibrations are not so much from the jump generator, but from the jump itself, the process of transitioning from realspace to hyperspace. Not one piece of machinery that propagates vibrations to the entire ship, but the entire ship -- all the matter in the jump generator's bubble, really -- that vibrates. And so the technology used to generate the jump doesn't matter. It's just an effect of going through hyperspace, regardless of the mean used to do so.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Yes, the vibrations could be the ship, or space/time itself osculating within a bubble creating an effect of vibration (ie pressure waves) within objects inside the bubble.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

I really don't understand why they don't simply redirect the auxilliary power from the phaserbanks through the deflector dish and project a phase-inverted tachyonfield around the ship to stabilize the nacelles. That would neutralize the vibration for sure. I'm sure the warpcore can handle the additional stress. Rerouting power through the deflector dish solves all problems. I watched enough scifi to know this.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

G. Janssen wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:02 pm
I really don't understand why they don't simply redirect the auxilliary power from the phaserbanks through the deflector dish and project a phase-inverted tachyonfield around the ship to stabilize the nacelles. That would neutralize the vibration for sure. I'm sure the warpcore can handle the additional stress. Rerouting power through the deflector dish solves all problems. I watched enough scifi to know this.
Just reverse polarity!
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
If the jump field was created using a completely different mechanism, it might not create vibration.

Why do you ask? The vibration is uncomfortable, but it's not what's responsible for jump sickness. There is more explanation of this in the next page.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I can imagine Alex will charge in a let's say "wobbly" way with the Loroi. Due to jump sickness.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

I would imagine that "Hyperspace" isn't just hyperspace, and might put you into touch with... well other dimensions... such as the after life, or the astral realm/warp or so on. Then again, it might also just be a level of reality where the physics that keeps our bodies functioning don't play well there.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

asaenvolk wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:17 am
I would imagine that "Hyperspace" isn't just hyperspace, and might put you into touch with... well other dimensions... such as the after life, or the astral realm/warp or so on. Then again, it might also just be a level of reality where the physics that keeps our bodies functioning don't play well there.
Maybe there is also a psionic component that is normal to hyperspace, orthogonal to and concurrent with time and three (or more) physical axes.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many