How to Draw Outsider Characters

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Re: How to Draw Outsider Characters

Post by avatar576 »

@Arioch: Do you use stock images for the starfields and other space backdrops, or do you illustrate them yourself? If so, how do you do it?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:13 am
@Arioch: Do you use stock images for the starfields and other space backdrops, or do you illustrate them yourself? If so, how do you do it?
I used some stock images for the Prologue cover and the first few pages, but the subsequent ones (including the Naam proplyd background) I created myself. Nebulae are painted by hand, and starfields are created procedurally using some Photoshop techniques.

The starfield technique I use is one I learned from a tutorial posted by Greg Martin. It's no longer up on his site, but I have an archived local copy of it. In order to view it, you have to download the file and open it locally using a Microsoft browser. https://well-of-souls.com/temp/artofgre ... torial.mht

There are probably many tutorials online that use a similar process. Basically, you create Gaussian Noise on a black field, then do several passes of tweaking contrast and levels to vary and enlarge the stars. Then you manually darken and lighten parts of the image to make it less random.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@ARIOCH: The original tutorial file was saved with IE8.  I was able to extract and save the entire file (with images) in PDF.  Does this violate Greg Martin's copyright?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:47 pm
@ARIOCH: The original tutorial file was saved with IE8.  I was able to extract and save the entire file (with images) in PDF.  Does this violate Greg Martin's copyright?
It was a free and publicly available tutorial on the web, so I don't think saving it in different formats violates any laws.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:05 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
It was a free and publicly available tutorial on the web, so I don't think saving it in different formats violates any laws.
In that case, do you need a copy?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:08 pm
Arioch wrote:
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
No, the one I have works fine.

Post by avatar576 »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:36 am
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:13 am
I used some stock images for the Prologue cover and the first few pages, but the subsequent ones (including the Naam proplyd background) I created myself. Nebulae are painted by hand, and starfields are created procedurally using some Photoshop techniques.

The starfield technique I use is one I learned from a tutorial posted by Greg Martin. It's no longer up on his site, but I have an archived local copy of it. In order to view it, you have to download the file and open it locally using a Microsoft browser. https://well-of-souls.com/temp/artofgre ... torial.mht

There are probably many tutorials online that use a similar process. Basically, you create Gaussian Noise on a black field, then do several passes of tweaking contrast and levels to vary and enlarge the stars. Then you manually darken and lighten parts of the image to make it less random.
Cool, I've always wondered how that was done. Thanks!

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Like watching how ice cream is made.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
*Puts hand up*
Can anyone else have a copy?

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Still no on the planet creator thing?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

DevilDalek wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:31 am
Still no on the planet creator thing?
?

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

This is what I was on about!
DevilDalek wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:22 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Arioch wrote:

*Puts hand up*
Can anyone else have a copy?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Let me make sure I still have it, then we can set up an email drop.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Good stuff!

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Yeah, sorry, way back when I was attempting my Well of Souls fan comic, I found I completely sucked at doing space backgrounds.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

You get a very interesting effect if you tonal shift the picture so the loroi have normal human skin tones..

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

↑ Half-elves and a goblinoid precursor?

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Yup!
I'm blue daba dee daba doo..