Page 214: Ready for boarding action!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Keklas Rekobah

Re: Page 214: Ready for boarding action!

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

↑ Ahh . . . another TNE player, I see.

:D
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Mercy Machine wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:02 pm
I'm just glad it doesn't look like a SFed-up Mauser 1896 for a change. I don't know why one of the earliest designs of self-loading pistol so appeals to some SF creators.
Let's be fair though... Han's blaster is one of the coolest-looking pieces of swag in the whole series. 🤩

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:50 pm
Actually, I was introduced to Traveller when I was at uni by a group still playing the "Black Books" version, and later moved on to Mongoose, and generic "2d6 Science-Fiction Role Playing Game" stuff. I've never actually played TNE, but that image is just too cool to miss, and appropriate for an Outsider forum, I think.
Arioch wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:30 pm
Let's be fair though... Han's blaster is one of the coolest-looking pieces of swag in the whole series. 🤩
True, which might be the reason the layout appeals to more... derivative creations like W40K bolt-pistols and las-pistols... :P

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Mercy Machine wrote:
Perhaps the pistol projects some sort of holographic sight that does not require a tube or frame, and only "powers up" when the safety is released or a finger is inside the trigger... space? Or that tubular gizmo on the rear of the weapon is an electronic sight?
Yes, Arioch said that upper protrusion is an optical sight. Also pistol has laser pointer.
Outsider in Russian

Post by avatar576 »

Mercy Machine wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:37 pm
I am not sure how to aim this thing, i dont see any holo or iron sights on it.
Perhaps the pistol projects some sort of holographic sight that does not require a tube or frame, and only "powers up" when the safety is released or a finger is inside the trigger... space? Or that tubular gizmo on the rear of the weapon is an electronic sight?
I think the "tubular gizmo" is a power cartridge of sorts. You can see Cloud loading one into her pistol on p. 200

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine »

Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:43 pm
I think the "tubular gizmo" is a power cartridge of sorts. You can see Cloud loading one into her pistol on p. 200
Very well spotted! I'm sure you're correct.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Mercy Machine wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:59 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:50 pm
Actually, I was introduced to Traveller when I was at uni by a group still playing the "Black Books" version, and later moved on to Mongoose, and generic "2d6 Science-Fiction Role Playing Game" stuff. I've never actually played TNE, but that image is just too cool to miss, and appropriate for an Outsider forum, I think.
I can imagine Helen (if she survived) in just such a get-up, with Wagner's "Walkürenritt" playing in the background.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine »

"Ride of the Valkyries" (like a lot of late '60s pop music used in Vietnam War movies/TV) is kind of ruined for me because my brain superimposes helicopter sounds over the music...

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

Mercy Machine wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:45 am
"Ride of the Valkyries" (like a lot of late '60s pop music used in Vietnam War movies/TV) is kind of ruined for me because my brain superimposes helicopter sounds over the music...
Here, have dogs barking laid over top instead. :D

--Mithramuse