A Measure Of Altruism

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

A Measure Of Altruism

Post by Bamax »

"I love to see people happy and succeeding. Life is a journey not a competition."

So said a human.

Klingon culture by and large does NOT totally agree with this view, although they do partially.

What would Loroi and Umiak culture's stance be on this?

Because it seems to me the more one is against this viewpoint the more they are likely to get into space wars.

Then again... I am sure some Loroi warrior would say.... "Yeah... we live in reality. Do you? Your view will get you killed."

EDIT: Come to think of it, humans are unique for having this view, since virtually all animals view life as a mere survival competition.... because for them it more or less is mixed with propagating their kind. Humans tend to take a broader view because we are capable of so much more than surviving and reproducing ourselves.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: A Measure Of Altruism

Post by Arioch »

Not all humans share this view, either. I'd go so far as to say that most don't.

Even in civilizations where there is no hunger or lack of necessity, there is always something that someone wants that they can't have. Life is always a competition. Such is the human condition.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

A human society needs a certain level of altruism to sustain it, since one of our biggest advantages as a species is cooperation. Which means it is somewhat selfish in the end, because a functioning society will benefit us far more than we invest. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I guess that it is the same for any civilization? The Umiak may take it to the extreme, while other races are more competitive, but an utterly selfish species won't survive for long. The Loroi had to learn this the hard way during the Reign of Chaos era, and they only managed to overcome it by enforcing those rules. Breeding restrictions, for example, may be harsh for an individual, yet it is a necessity for the welfare of the entire species.
Arioch wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:41 pm
Not all humans share this view, either. I'd go so far as to say that most don't.

Even in civilizations where there is no hunger or lack of necessity, there is always something that someone wants that they can't have. Life is always a competition. Such is the human condition.
You'd need to post another page soon, or he'll make a dozen more threads out of boredom, and I can't really blame him. :lol: I'll try to distract everyone with the next chapter of my fanfic tomorrow, but I doubt that my meager skills will hold anyone off for very long.

Moik

Post by Moik »

The Loroi probably have some kind of altruism stemming from empathy. If I remember correctly, one of the side-files mentions there's a race that the Loroi have basically self-banned themselves from being around because the race is so susceptible to sanzai that they automatically become thralls even when the Loroi don't intend it.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Moik wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 am
The Loroi probably have some kind of altruism stemming from empathy. If I remember correctly, one of the side-files mentions there's a race that the Loroi have basically self-banned themselves from being around because the race is so susceptible to sanzai that they automatically become thralls even when the Loroi don't intend it.
Yep, the goilm I thnk think they are called.

Probably inspired from the myth of golems.

The difference I guess is that though the Loroi are quicker to exterminate, the Umiak care less about freedom of subjects and would be OK with having a bunch of thralls subject to their whims if the way they work their subjects is anuthing to go by.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I think the majority of humans are, if not altruistic, willing subjects of moral codes or standards. The only problem with altruism is that different people from different cultures have differing ideas of what makes one altruistic. Indeed the concept of altruism seems to have changed century after passing century as cultures changed from one generation to the next.

Perhaps the concept of good and evil is a foreign one to many loroi. I think the Loroi's principles are built more along practicality and strength. And the rules they impose on themselves and others is not motivated by a belief in good and evil, but rather to either more easily coerce loroi/aliens into submission... or to protect who/what they love. Indeed that seems to be what humans made rules for; to protect who/what we love. Because it was easier than killing each other over it. For example, while Beryl seems like a good loroi for sticking her neck out for Alex, I doubt she is doing it out of a sense of moral obligation but more of a place of personal affection and because she desperately does not want to lose a unique specimen.

So altruism to a loroi (in my opinion) may be built on warrior principles. And judging what I seem to understand about the loroi, I suppose their altruistic rules/words of wisdom may look something like this:

Face every battle bravely, but fight it smartly.

Be ready to give your life in the face of duty, but remember that you fight to survive.

Give everything for your fellow warriors, but do not subject yourself to exploitation.

Choose not the path of excess riches and material possessions which weigh you down and crumble and rust; choose instead the warrior's path, where all things exist at your disposal.

Be strict with your subjects, but do not be cruel. For your subjects will surely answer in kind.

If you are not ready to fight for your beliefs, then do not voice them...

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

In fact, the opinion that a person as a whole is inclined towards altruism is a myth. The person is extremely selfish.

It's just that a number of our needs can be satisfied only through interaction with other people, social or otherwise. Meeting these needs breeds love, friendship, partnership and affection in general ... and yes, altruism.

The volume and quality of needs differ from person to person, so there are more social or more sociopathic personalities, but in general there is no such thing as an "altruist". It's just that a person is more focused on the exchange of energy with the environment.

As far as I understand, Loroi as a whole repeat our psycho-physical modulations, with the exception of sanzai and their gender inequality, from which their cultural features follow.

In fact, the most striking fact of this is their cultural taboo of attachment to a man. The very fact of its presence means that Loroi has this mechanism, otherwise there would be no need to limit it so rigidly. By the way, it's a fun fact what it's possible that the self-destructive libido of Loroi men is nothing more than an adaptation to a large number of their active women. Otherwise, they would trite to be f*cked to death...

Ahem, in general, with the exception of cultural characteristics (masturbation on the military caste, in general), the reactions in the base should be the same.

Including, Loroi has some form of altruism, understandable to us.