TV/Movie Drectors You Would Not Let Direct An Outsider Based Show Or Movie Even If They Gave You A Million USD

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

TV/Movie Drectors You Would Not Let Direct An Outsider Based Show Or Movie Even If They Gave You A Million USD

Post by Bamax »

What movie or TV directors would you NOT let direct an Outsider based movie or show?

Even if they offered a million to buy the brand outright?

I will go first:

1. ANY of the folks behind the latest iteration of Star Trek.

2. Michael Bay for obvious reasons.

Your turn now...

Demarquis

Re: TV/Movie Drectors You Would Not Let Direct An Outsider Based Show Or Movie Even If They Gave You A Million USD

Post by Demarquis »

Speiberg, because... just no.

Moik

Re: TV/Movie Drectors You Would Not Let Direct An Outsider Based Show Or Movie Even If They Gave You A Million USD

Post by Moik »

Benioff & Weiss.

I agree with picking Uwe Boll, he hates movies.
Disney I can understand, for moral reasons.
Spielberg I'm not sure I agree on. Sure he did Ready Player One and War of the Worlds, but he also did E.T. and Saving Private Ryan. He has some potential upside, it's more of a gamble than a sure failing like the others. I can picture what he could do to make a good Outsider movie.
Similarly, Michael Bay may not give us a movie in the spirit of the comic, but it would be fun to watch. Maybe his mainstream appeal gets more people into the comic and onto the Patreon. Maybe not only bankroll Jim but some assistants too so we get more pages more often. I'd co-sign Bay.

My question then becomes who would be ideal? Ridley Scott? I'm not just thinking of Aliens but also The Martian.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I dunno... but Zack Snyder really seems to care about sticking to comic book lore more than some other directors if his time writing BVS and the Snyder JL cut is anything to go by.

Hopefiully he would not make the backgrounds too dark.

Honestly though a live action Outsider movie makes me cringe, since you cannot be faithful to the comic since
human eyes are not slanted. So any actors playing Loroi won't have the extra elven alien look the comic gives.

Nor could you do the Loroi males justice either... since how many small grownup guys can you find that vary in race? Getting a bunch of asians would make someone upset on social media anyway.

Honestly I think many movies of the past cannot be easily made nowadays like they originally were due to the cancel culture of today that will cancel you if you do not submit to their ideals or include them in your work.

I would favor some kind of computer animated cartoon. But with as realistic graphics as possible. Since Outsider is a bit more grown up than a disney Toy Story movie.
Last edited by Bamax on Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Somewhere the same.

I don’t think the idea of ​​making a film is a good one, let alone trusting it in modern Hollywood. Just - no. Modern Hollywood does not know how to make films based on fictional universes. I mean, hey, there were comic-book movies! Remember the same Thor. First.

Aces in comics are about like loroi in terms of appearance - they are perfect, completely pure genome without any deviations. In principle, they cannot have flaws in appearance, like people.

But in Hollywood, one of the leading characters did not even bother to cover up moles corny!

Given the current agenda, if the Outsider has anything to do with it, I wouldn't be surprised if the loroi turns out to be something like the Mulan 2020 adaptation.

And Alex will be made gay. And black.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Yeah I cringe at the fact thar current culture lumps race and alternate lifestyle sexuaity into the same catergory.

Being black is a matter of extra pigment in the skin and a bit more fat in the buttocks, also a nose that may be flatter or more blunt than a white person.

Whites tend to have low pigment, flat buttocks, and fat that accumulates in their midsection (the waist/belly) and noses that are more pointy wth less bluntness.

These are biological differences, whereas alternate sexuality is merely a lifestyle choice.

One does not choose to be black or white. They just are.

Nor does being black automatically make one a thug or being white automatically make one rascist. Those are lifesytyle choices.

Modern american pop culture seems to ignore the diffrences in favor of celebrating mixing it all up

Why? Money. Truth? Who cares? Give us the most money!

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

I am much more worried by the fact that modern filmmakers allow themselves to rewrite the original author's intention not in order to adapt the format, but to please the current mood of a loud bunch of idiots who are not able to put together the simplest arithmetic operation in their minds or wipe their snot on their own.

If you want to shoot something "progressive" and "relevant" - create it on your own material, no need to spoil and shit the good sources.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Tamri wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:31 pm
I am much more worried by the fact that modern filmmakers allow themselves to rewrite the original author's intention not in order to adapt the format, but to please the current mood of a loud bunch of idiots who are not able to put together the simplest arithmetic operation in their minds or wipe their snot on their own.

If you want to shoot something "progressive" and "relevant" - create it on your own material, no need to spoil and shit the good sources.
Again.... they really do not care about anyone nor the story itself.... just the money gained.

If you want a film that sticks faithfully to source material, then you need someone who is passionate about the source material who at the same time is not concerned about making the most amount of money by appeasing pop culture.

That is hard to find... since virtually everyone competes to make the most money. Everyone else tries to copy what they who succeed do.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

AND that’s the main reason I’m not giving anything more worthwhile to Hollywood today than toilet paper ... or something I absolutely hate.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Well... every since star trek went poor to worse, which began in earnest with Enterprise but actually started with the later seasons of Voyager, my only scifi I consume is Outsider and Chulthu's A Sword That Wields Itself nowadays.

Voyager misused Seven as the star of the show when they should have given her a less catsuit fitted uniform.

I mean seriously... even her character would want something more efficient to wear given she was an ex-borg drone.

And realistically with a uniform as such she was given and Seven's initial total lack of ethics, IRL more guys than Harry Kim would be bold enough to ask her out on a date, and unlike Harry they would not cower when she offers herself to explore her humanity.

Yet even so... it would have been embarassing due to Seven's analytical and truthful nature.

She may rate a guy in various ways he would prefer not be made known public, which Seven would also do.

What did you do today Seven?

Seven WOULD actually tell you!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I think Outsider would be better animated than live action, just because of the tone of the character designs. I think characters with bright blue skin and bright blue hair just don't work in live action, unless the tone is very lighthearted and not too serious. They'd have to Zack Snyderize all the character designs and make them darker and desaturated and more gritty and edgy, which might be cool, but it would be a different story. It's 1978 Superman vs. 2013 Man of Steel.

My dream pick would be to have an animated version done by Studio Fortiche, the guys doing Arcane.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:38 am
I think Outsider would be better animated than live action, just because of the tone of the character designs. I think characters with bright blue skin and bright blue hair just don't work in live action, unless the tone is very lighthearted and not too serious. They'd have to Zack Snyderize all the character designs and make them darker and desaturated and more gritty and edgy, which might be cool, but it would be a different story. It's 1978 Superman vs. 2013 Man of Steel.

My dream pick would be to have an animated version done by Studio Fortiche, the guys doing Arcane.

So in other words... Snyder would absolutely love Fireblade.... giving her more screen time than warranted, even when she is doing absolutely nothing.

Probably even show her sleeping... and then cut to her scary dreams lol.

Again and again.

The art of Arcane looks less realistic than Outsider though, so I woild only like it if they made Skyrim level realistic or even just matching the comic.

One thing about movies is you get to do stuff the comic won't.

That's why I would enjoy a realistic computer animated Outsider, since we know what cartoon Loroi look like slready.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I don't see any point in doing photorealistic CGI human character animation for movies/tv, as it will always look fake and it would be cheaper and better to use real actors. Unless there's something fundamental about the character that couldn't be pulled off by a human actor. Outside of computer games (and inside computer games, in many cases), I think animation should be stylized to a certain degree, or it triggers the "uncanny valley."

One CG animation style that works is the Pixar/Disney sort of cartoon Barbie doll approach. Another is to use painted textures that make each frame look like an illustration, which has been used successfully in a number of computer games, but Fortiche's work is the only one I know of so far that has made that work in a long form movie or series.

You can decent examples of both approaches in Riot's own different K/DA videos: MORE by Axis Studios and POP/STARS by Fortiche. (Though in my opinion the dance animations in MORE look a bit wonky.)

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:03 am
The art of Arcane looks less realistic than Outsider though, so I woild only like it if they made Skyrim level realistic or even just matching the comic.
Speaking of Skyrim, it's amusing to look at how some of the more colorful races like the Orcs have evolved throughout the titles. They're a lot more desaturated in Skyrim than they were in Oblivion or Morrowind, e.g. Oblivion orc vs. Skyrim orc. And for, I think, the same reason as this:
Arioch wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:38 am
I think characters with bright blue skin and bright blue hair just don't work in live action, unless the tone is very lighthearted and not too serious. They'd have to Zack Snyderize all the character designs and make them darker and desaturated and more gritty and edgy, which might be cool, but it would be a different story. It's 1978 Superman vs. 2013 Man of Steel.
With the increased realism of the graphics, brightly saturated skin colors end up looking too cartoony to fit with the rest of the game, so it goes more muted, more "believable". I think if (should I say "when" instead) a Loroi race mod ends up being created for Starfield, then there will probably be the same amount of desaturation to just make them fit in visually.

Moik

Post by Moik »

What about Ankama Animations?
This is from 2008. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOH2Ocy778
I feel like they could get close to the visual aesthetic, and have really good cinematography and effects.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:50 am
I don't see any point in doing photorealistic CGI human character animation for movies/tv, as it will always look fake and it would be cheaper and better to use real actors. Unless there's something fundamental about the character that couldn't be pulled off by a human actor. Outside of computer games (and inside computer games, in many cases), I think animation should be stylized to a certain degree, or it triggers the "uncanny valley."

One CG animation style that works is the Pixar/Disney sort of cartoon Barbie doll approach. Another is to use painted textures that make each frame look like an illustration, which has been used successfully in a number of computer games, but Fortiche's work is the only one I know of so far that has made that work in a long form movie or series.

You can decent examples of both approaches in Riot's own different K/DA videos: MORE by Axis Studios and POP/STARS by Fortiche. (Though in my opinion the dance animations in MORE look a bit wonky.)

Just saw the popstars vid. Was impressed. Plenty of attitude and expression.

Beryl would easily be very cute with such animation and easily be a fan favorite, whereas Fireblade would be like the stoic faced tall serious sexy lady.

Talon and Spiral would be a riot. And Stillstorm would be downright intimidating.

I am sure using the Loroi powers on screen would be impressive if this video is anything to go by.

And the space battles would be as spectacular as the comic.

Hopefully showing and emphasizing tactics used rather than massed foolish shoot outs one sees in star wars.

In the military targets are assigned by groups and units. It is not a free for all with a furball of fire going everywhere.

Whether one wins or not has more to do with what they bring to the battle at the start than anything else.

Tactics only go so far... you need good enough equipment and leadership to back it up.