Miscellaneous Cast question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Miscellaneous Cast question-and-answer thread

Post by Krulle »

The sanzai is perfect for passing a ball blindly. Someone will see a potential move/pass, and signal it.

You just need partice with the viewpoint/relative directions.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Werra

Post by Werra »

Why would Beryl be on the basketball team? She's short and nerdy.

I would take Fireblade, Stillstorm (yes, her) and one of the taller ones, who I'm sure has a name in Ariochs notes somewhere.
Chances of them winning against a female team aren't bad, as they have the potential for truly outstanding teamplay. They're also surprisingly strong for their size, as Soia-Liron physiology makes them the equal of men of their size and weight. If the general increase in efficiency also holds true for the effects of physical training, they should be able to see very quick gains in their training.
But they're very short for basketball players. Don't know what is the bigger drawback.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Werra wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 pm

I would take Fireblade, Stillstorm (yes, her) and one of the taller ones, who I'm sure has a name in Ariochs notes somewhere.
Chances of them winning against a female team aren't bad, as they have the potential for truly outstanding teamplay. They're also surprisingly strong for their size, as Soia-Liron physiology makes them the equal of men of their size and weight. If the general increase in efficiency also holds true for the effects of physical training, they should be able to see very quick gains in their training.
But they're very short for basketball players. Don't know what is the bigger drawback.
Yes... sanzai cued blind passes could work.

As for players, I don't know how tall Moonglow or the Empero's great-niece Ashrain are but at least they are both competitive in spirit. Ashrain could be downright cold and intimidating, if she is any bit as capable on the court as she is as a commander. She is pretty too.. which had an intimidation factor of it's own.

Really.. the ability to throw the professional NBA male players off their game could help.... somewhat.

Not everyday they get to play wide eyed pretty female elves.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Who I would pick depends on my aim:

I want a good laugh:

Talon, Spiral, and Beryl. VS Prime versions of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille Oneill.

Simply because I want to see wide eyed Beryl freak out when Shaq slaps her ball outthe air or dunks near her.

Talon and Spiral may resort to name calling, which will likely be hilarious given how they try... or not if they habe adopted human insults which do sting. Probably be calling Shaq a brown barsam LOL.

If I wanted the Loroi to have a chance:

Fireblade, Ashrain, and Tempo.

I honestly think Tempo would be quite good at blind padssing after six months via sanzai. And her charm might help agaibst the guys.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

The simplest method would be to put lower-ranking Loroi out on the court, and have Fireblade or Tempo telekinetically guide their shots into the basket from anywhere on the court, while also deflecting every shot made by the humans.

Imagine Cloud facing off against an Olympic basketball team captain in a one-on-one match, which Fireblade AND Tempo supporting her from the stands.

Loroi: 100+
Terrans: 0

No contest.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:51 am
spock_truth.jpg
Heretofore I thought the loroi would be just as angered by lies of omission o.O
Snoofman wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:52 am
Which one would I choose as my roommate?

I would probably choose Beryl. While a lot of people are not fans of Beryl for the moment considering she <seemingly> held a pistol to Alex's back, I'm holding out that there is an explanation for this.

Beryl is quite chatty, but if the conversation is intellectual, I don't mind. Beryl doesn't strike me as a girl for small talk. Beryl is straightforward and polite. On top of that, I think she would compel her roommate to take initiative to keep the house clean. Something tells me Loroi don't like a dirty place. ON top of that, I would enjoy arguing with Beryl over philosophical subjects.
Second
Don't delay, join today!

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:04 pm
The simplest method would be to put lower-ranking Loroi out on the court, and have Fireblade or Tempo telekinetically guide their shots into the basket from anywhere on the court, while also deflecting every shot made by the humans.

Imagine Cloud facing off against an Olympic basketball team captain in a one-on-one match, which Fireblade AND Tempo supporting her from the stands.

No contest.
I would like to think the Loroi would see that as dishonorable... or at least a super lazy way to win. Without challenge a win is not honorable. It's like enabling max cheats in a video game.

Hopefully Tempo's conscience will bother her... since no one really knows what's going through Fireblade's head.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:17 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:

No contest.
I would like to think the Loroi would see that as dishonorable... or at least a super lazy way to win. Without challenge a win is not honorable. It's like enabling max cheats in a video game.

Hopefully Tempo's conscience will bother her... since no one really knows what's going through Fireblade's head.
Remember: "... The Loroi are NOT your friends."  They serve their own interests, NOT humanity's.  To show us round-ears who is boss would be to their liking.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:42 pm
Bamax wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:17 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:

No contest.

Remember: "... The Loroi are NOT your friends."  They serve their own interests, NOT humanity's.  To show us round-ears who is boss would be to their liking.

Tempo and Fireblade won't be fooling anyone when both are moving stretching their arms toward the court like Magneto.

Remember they were rather obvious last time... plus the glowing eyes.

They would have a slightly better chance in the court if fooling them, since a throw off the hand can be perfect but people won't right away know you've been doing PK unless they gaze at your eyes.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

"See those two chicks in the mirror shades?  Yeah, the redhead and the brunette.  Ever since they showed up, LeBron hasn't even got near the rim; but that giggly white-haired chick can't miss!  What's up with that?"

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:48 pm
"See those two chicks in the mirror shades?  Yeah, the redhead and the brunette.  Ever since they showed up, LeBron hasn't even got near the rim; but that giggly white-haired chick can't miss!  What's up with that?"
Where there is a will there is a way I suppose.... had not considered sunshades as a disguise.

Yet if they get desparate enough to manhandle Lebron to stop him from blocking Bery's shots, or if the ball literally curves in midair by ITSELF to dodge Lebron as tries to swat it (very possible, this is Beryl LOL)... then the Loroi trickery will be found out.

And they will loose whatever little goodwill and trust humaniti was willing to give them at first.

All over an otherwise inconsquential game of basketball. If you are willing to risk the reputation of your entire species, something of worth must be possible to be gained or be at risk.

Loroi have more to lose than gain here by cheating, since humans already know Loroi are superior in a lot of ways, but no one likes a superior who isn't actually; one that would not be if they did not cheat constantly and play fair for once.

For what it's worth, unless Fireblade manhandles Beryl like a puppet to avoid manhandling Lebron... Lil Bit (my nickname for Beryl on the court) will have the odds stacked against her.

Against guys like Shaq in his prime it gets worse.

Although I would still love to see a giggling Bery jump higher than Jordan to dunk via Fireblade and Shaq jump to block her in midair. The collision sends Beryl flying but somehow she lands on her feet... not spread eagled on the court. And the ball still flies into the net with a telling swish.

Very much David and Goliath but more comedic. Would make a great fanfic.

Cone to think of it, were I Loroi, I would try hard to befriend Teidar... just so I could play super every now and then.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Bamax wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:08 am
Tempo and Fireblade won't be fooling anyone when both are moving stretching their arms toward the court like Magneto.

Remember they were rather obvious last time... plus the glowing eyes.
I thought Arioch had confirmed that there was no outward indication of telepathy/telekinesis and that the effects in the webcomic are just to clarify the action for the reader but I could not find it.
Werra wrote:

Looking at the rank structures page, it looks like Ashrain is almost as tall as Fireblade (much shorter if you count the hair - no idea if we've seen anyone taller in the webcomic). Bonus points if you get her an amplifier to enhance her telekinetic abilities as well.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Werra wrote:
Why did you think that shes nerdy?
Shes a listel because she was practically born into it, she didnt choose it.
Maybe she is berserker inside, her spiritual animal is bear protecting its offspring, and only thing she want in life is to smash her enemies, see them driven before her, and hear lamentations of their males.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Zorg56 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:13 pm
Werra wrote:
Why did you think that shes nerdy?
Shes a listel because she was practically born into it, she didnt choose it.
Maybe she is berserker inside, her spiritual animal is bear protecting its offspring, and only thing she want in life is to smash her enemies, see them driven before her, and hear lamentations of their males.
She's practically been dissecting Alex with her eyes from before he woke up. She's just super into the chance to do research.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

inxsi wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:07 pm
How old was fireblade when she went to Toridas, the teidar academy on Deinar?

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:45 pm
inxsi wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:07 pm
How old was fireblade when she went to Toridas, the teidar academy on Deinar?
Can only wonder if we will get glimpse of her relationship with other students (?).
From one side she is veteran who kicked ass, from other Seren survivor and much older then she theoretically should be with problems controlling her strength (probably failing at certain exams despite absurd power).

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Questions about Spiral's hilariously poor foreign language skills:

1. Is she poor at Trade because she did not pay enough attention in school?

2. Or did she go to school on her homeworld (NOT Taben) and her teachers were also poor at Trade, so that is how all their students speak... which gives people from Spiral's region on that planet at least a reputation that precedes them?

What? Is she like the Loroi version of a country folk yokel from a Loroi version of Mayberry LOL?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

You can think about it sort of like how foreign pilots and mariners have to learn some English, since that is the official language of traffic control, etc. If you've heard some ATC audio, some of those foreign pilots don't speak English very well, even when using the professional terms they learned. Now imagine that those pilots are teenagers and trying to make conversation with the American girl who came to sit in the cockpit with them.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:21 am
You can think about it sort of like how foreign pilots and mariners have to learn some English, since that is the official language of traffic control, etc. If you've heard some ATC audio, some of those foreign pilots don't speak English very well, even when using the professional terms they learned. Now imagine that those pilots are teenagers and trying to make conversation with the American girl who came to sit in the cockpit with them.
Guess I was wrong about Spiral... nota country yokel who became a figher pilot... just a fighter pilot.

So why isTalon si much better at Trade than Spiral?

Just because she is more competent period perhaps?

Same reason Talon is pilot but Spiral os co-pilot?

Or it could simply be that Talon has a better grasp of trade and she is the better of them to use the spoken comm spaceship to spaceship if others are to fully understand them LOL in battle situations.