Page 206: Just needs an expert's touch

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

grixit

Re: Page 206: Just needs an expert's touch

Post by grixit »

Now i am reminded of the old old Star Trek game we played on printing terminals before crt monitors became standard. Long range sensors would tell you how many klingon ships were in the next sector, but you had to actually go there to see where they were.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Farseers are used mainly to sense strategic movement of forces outside the current solar system, as there are no other FTL sensors available. They're not used much in tactical situations, except to aid conventional sensors when a target is hiding (behind an obstacle, for example), or to determine whether a location has living sentients on it.

Kind of like having a Counselor Troi on hand, except useful.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:19 am
Kind of like having a Counselor Troi on hand, except useful.
Shots fired :mrgreen:

One huge plot hole from Star Trek is why the Federation didn't utilize Betazoids (full ones, anyway) in every way they possibly could. Forget Lwaxana, EVERY Federation ambassador should have been a Betazoid.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

orion1836 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:34 pm
One huge plot hole from Star Trek is why the Federation didn't utilize Betazoids (full ones, anyway) in every way they possibly could. Forget Lwaxana, EVERY Federation ambassador should have been a Betazoid.
Even though I agree with you, the ambassadors of other empires might not. In fact, I think that most would flat out refuse to meet with such diplomats face-to-face and rely on remote communication instead or demand non-Betazoids. Just like in Outsider, those who are powerful enough, like the Historians, refuse to meet the Loroi and send personality constructs instead since they can't expect non-Loroi diplomats from the Loroi-centric empire. Other, lesser, client races have no other choice but to meet in person though.
You also demand waaaay too much thinking from a "rubber forehead alien of the day"-level-writing for what's essentially a sitcom in space. I mean, they even introduced the "wiseass neighbor" trope in the form of the recurring Q visits and if it weren't for his good acting skills, that would be annoying as hell. I even skipped some episodes, because the quality could vary wildly.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Still don't understand what went on with that Umiak. Far as I remember, mind control is not a thing for most races, besides the slugs.