Page 204: Madness? THIS IS K-CHUNK!!!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CrimsonFALKE

Re: Page 204: Madness? THIS IS K-CHUNK!!!

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:42 pm
Fireblade's hair WILL NOT BE BOUND!
How is the war still on at this rate why is she clearly holding her hair power back? Do humans give her a ton of hair spray like the 1980s to win the war against the bug?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:

Do Teidar NEED to have their hair long length in order to fully access their powers? Not harness, as that requires practice, but accessing them at all?

Surely the Loroi are not so vain when hair that long is right up there with having capes? As Edna in The Incredibles movie rejected capes because they are like long hair that can get stuck or be pulled.

If it is simply a stylistic choice okayyy....but it would make the Loroi seem embarassingly incompetent, which thus far they have at least managed to avoid looking Star Trek level incompetent.

Since tactically the long hair is a weakness waiting to be exploited.

My theory: Never saw it in the 'codex', but I reckon Teidar are like the biblical Samson.

Cut their hair and they lose their power. Even the Umiak know this perhaps? Is THAT why they made the Loroi captives bald?

Since there is no way to know who is an uber Loroi and who is not unless you know the unsheathed won't let you shave their heads?

Narrows the threat down to more manageable levels rather than thinking every Loroi may be an uber Teidar in disguise.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:41 pm
Do Teidar NEED to have their hair long length in order to fully access their powers? Not harness, as that requires practice, but accessing them at all?
Heh, no... but that is an amusing notion -- that long hair acts as a psi amplifier.

It's purely a character design choice, and it's just for Fireblade. Her hair is so unrealistically fluffy that it wouldn't feel right to contain it within a helmet.

(credit to Dylan Meconis)
(credit to Dylan Meconis)
dylan - helmethair.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

If it makes you feel any better, pretend that it's a fake mane outside the helmet, like a Centurion's crest. :D

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:19 am
If it makes you feel any better, pretend that it's a fake mane outside the helmet, like a Centurion's crest. :D
Now I'm leaning towards Fireblade's secret is that she is bald and her hair is a wig :D

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

:idea: 3
Arioch wrote:
Bamax wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:41 pm
Heh, no... but that is an amusing notion -- that long hair acts as a psi amplifier.

It's purely a character design choice, and it's just for Fireblade. Her hair is so unrealistically fluffy that it wouldn't feel right to contain it within a helmet.

dylan - helmethair.jpg

Ya know, intentionally or not, you put enough unsaid pictured stuff into your comics that cause readers to think a certain way.

Perhaps that is the point? To play around with expectations as well as age groups reading the comic?
What will sail right over an innocent youth's head an adult will catch easily. May take a second reading or two, but gotcha! Sure did in my case.

SpoilerShow

Now it seems Beryl is innocently just pushing Talon away so she won't see Alex undress like she wanted to. Yet when you look at Beryl's hands she seems to be framing a certain....length with her hands, while Talon looks a little part shocked, part awed.

Annnd....I'll leave it at that!

Was not me who guessed that, but another reader on deviantart. After looking at it a third time, I concluded that he very well may be right.

Even if he and I are both wrong, you picture things in a way that can be 'read' more than one way.

Nice subtlety as always.

: )

EDIT: If Umiak have no way of knowing who is uber and who is not....that's a tough job they have, the cyborg soldiers.

No one likes surprises, especially lethal ones that defy known physics.

Like the annoying haired young Lex from BVS said, "I don't hate the sinner I hate the sin. And yours my friend (said to Superman), is existing!"

Quite sure Umiak feel the same as many times as they get manhandled by Loroi.

Like I can imagine a cyborg Umiak seemingly doing quite well at smiting Loroi and about to engage four more, only to realize too late its a squad of FOUR Teidar. Four Teidar who are royally upset and about to make an example of him for what he did to all Loroi that fell under his blade or gun laying behind him.

CrimsonFALKE

Re: Page 204: Madness? THIS IS K-CHUNK

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Mithramuse wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 pm
Fireblade doesn't need a gun although what is k chunk in this case. Music?
Heavy metal, one presumes... see also https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider190.html.

--Mithramuse
It could be the latest song popular on the front lines.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:33 pm
Arioch wrote:
How is the war still on at this rate why is she clearly holding her hair power back? Do humans give her a ton of hair spray like the 1980s to win the war against the bug?
This last sentence of you struck me how the Humans will make the Loroi win.
We Humans have been fighting bugs since we were sitting in trees with our ancestors.
We took the fight to new levels with out hygiene and chemicals.

Bug spray.

And we gain the Loroi ever-lasting thanks with our hair spray.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Krulle wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:48 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Arioch wrote:
We Humans have been fighting bugs since we were sitting in trees with our ancestors.

Bug spray.

Man: "What do you mean I've been drafted? I'm over 50 and was ranked 4F even when I was young enough to qualify."
Ambassador: "The loroi requested you specifically. They extensively reviewed human communications and determined that you were the expert on bug extermination. We were not able to convince them otherwise."
Man: "You mean this is because?"
Ambassador: "Yes. You were the Orkin man in that line of commercials and the one made-for-TV movie thirty-five years ago."
Man: "I wasn't even an exterminator! I just played one on tv!"
Ambassador: "You are called to a higher purpose, to take up the name of the Orkin Man and make it feared and respected across the local group."

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Arioch wrote:
Ah, but will it consent to getting gently combed?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Ultimate plot twist: the hair is Fireblade! :shock: It is a genetically modified parasite that the Umiak use for their artifical "lotai". Except this one gained sentience, posessed a random loroi captive and ran away.
Do you think Fireblade survived two shipwrecks? The original host did not, but "Fireblade" did. This also explains how Alex can telepatically connect to "her" despite not being able in case of other loroi.
Her telepatic "leaking"? The parasite is still not fully able to control all of its strength, especially while sleeping.
The memories Alex saw? Those are the ones of the first host.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Krulle wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:48 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Arioch wrote:

Bug spray.

Let the hairspray flow!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Let the hairspray flow!
"Spray."