Human/Loroi Differences In Culture

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Re: Human/Loroi Differences In Culture

Post by Bamax »

Snoofman wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:11 am
Bamax wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:16 am
I heard Loroi have strong digestion systems.

What can they eat that humans cannot? Humans CAN eat a lot more variety than virtually any other creature on Earth, they just do not like eating some things.

What are some Earth foods that humans can eat but Loroi would have problems with if any?

If this question is null and void because it really does not matter then feel free to ignore it, especially if there is no official anser.
Not sure biochemically. But I can safely bet that loroi would have a huge problem with dairy products. Which is a shame... because we’ve got some amazing ice cream. Oh well. More Ben and Jerry’s for us humans!

I doubt or hope they have not gone industrial to milk females....that would seem really weird in a factory filling cartons of milk.

I presume milk is not a regular treat for Loroi given that they do not store it and females are not lactating unless they have babies and that whole issue is bery regulated.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Considering the Loroi in terms of quick maturation, extreme youthful longevity and extremely efficient metabolism, they didn't really have a reason to even think of the need to commercialize milk production as a staple food stuff in the way humans do.

Their children creches surely have a few wet nurses available for the babies but that's as far as they will go to cover their milk needs.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

dragoongfa wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:32 am
Considering the Loroi in terms of quick maturation, extreme youthful longevity and extremely efficient metabolism, they didn't really have a reason to even think of the need to commercialize milk production as a staple food stuff in the way humans do.

Their children creches surely have a few wet nurses available for the babies but that's as far as they will go to cover their milk needs.
The milk-drinking habit (much like the alcohol habit) in humans comes from our early days when water was frequently unsafe.
I would imagine that Loroi's history as a raised race (is that correct?) may mean that stage never happened fro them.

They also no doubt have the technology to produce artifical milk suitable for weaning children.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

wolf329 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:42 am
I don't know, they might not be all that big on the "Hey, this giant mammal is lactating, I'm gonna steal some of that and drink it!" thing that humans pulled, but that doesn't mean they're lactose intolerant. Also, Alex might just not tell them what ice cream is until after they've had some.
SpoilerShow
I wonder if the Historian Construct would recognize the trolling meme.

(Also wonderful picture, the characters optically well captured!
Thank you!)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Thanks!

As for milk talk, drinking it is weird even amongst humans. The biology for lactose digestion disappears in most humans after early childhood, and it's only the weirdos from Northern Europe and some Sub-Saharan cultures that have genetics that allow us to consume it. Most other places on the planet the genes for it are recessive, to the point that overall milk consumption is a significant minority of humans.

It's the lactose that causes the problem, not the act itself. It cannot be overstated how finicky and precise organic chemistry is. Viruses that can kill one species are usually specialized to such a degree that no other species on the planet will be affected in that way. Likewise, digestion of food is up to specific gut flora of bacteria that break down proteins into amino acids and complex carbohydrates into simple sugars we can utilize in our bodies. Hence Alex's trouble with Loroi food; even if it's safe, as far as his body's concerned it's like he's eating a pile of wood chips, and we all know what a large volume of insoluble fiber leads to. In other words, drinking milk can only be accomplished functionally if you have the bacteria to digest lactose sugars.

So while Tempo and others from her planet or ones with more adventurous palates are probably down with it, it's probable that ice cream social I drew is gonna end up with a line of Loroi outside the ladies' room.

edit: I'm not drawing that
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

What if their uniforms performed some of the same functionals at the stillsuits from Dune.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Ithekro wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:32 pm
What if their uniforms performed some of the same functionals at the stillsuits from Dune.
wolf329 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:38 pm
edit: I'm not drawing that
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Viruses must be specifically targeted at a particular species because the molecular vulnerabilities that the viruses attack are often unique to that host species (or group of species), and the viruses often don't have enough DNA to replicate on their own, so infection by an alien virus is very unlikely.

Bacteria and fungi, on the other hand, are a lot more complex and can potentially affect a wide range of species.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 pm
Viruses must be specifically targeted at a particular species because the molecular vulnerabilities that the viruses attack are often unique to that host species (or group of species), and the viruses often don't have enough DNA to replicate on their own, so infection by an alien virus is very unlikely.

Bacteria and fungi, on the other hand, are a lot more complex and can potentially affect a wide range of species.
Yes, incredibly unlikely, and by orders of magnitude since it is not related to Earth DNA (as far as we know). But god forbid if it somehow manages to find a vulnerable spot in a human protein chain...

What is could be more likely is for someone to take an existing virus that they are familiar with, alter it to attack an alien species and weaponize it. I would not be surprised of genetech is a lot more advanced in Outsider than today.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:39 am
Arioch wrote:

Yes, incredibly unlikely, and by orders of magnitude since it is not related to Earth DNA (as far as we know). But god forbid if it somehow manages to find a vulnerable spot in a human protein chain...

What is could be more likely is for someone to take an existing virus that they are familiar with, alter it to attack an alien species and weaponize it. I would not be surprised of genetech is a lot more advanced in Outsider than today.
I expect at the story tech level that it's fairly trivial to weaponize viruses. They're about the simplest form of life you can have.

The problem with bioweapons I think is more of how you deliver it than how you engineer it. That's a big problem with bioweapons today, even though we're all on the same planet. In a setting like Outsider, it's going to be very difficult to get your bioweapon to the target when you don't have much access to enemy territory.

Since there are many different inhabited planets, there have to be pretty effective "health and safety" checkpoints at starbases before aliens are allowed through to a planet (if they are allowed at all). Natural viruses probably aren't much of a threat, but any kind of invasive species can disrupt ecosystems (as we're learning today). If a planet's airspace is sufficiently monitored, it should be hard to just slip past them and land undetected, even in peacetime... it's not as simple as slipping across the border.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

I am wondering will a matriarchal group respect a patriarchal one.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 am
jterlecki wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:39 am
Arioch wrote:

I expect at the story tech level that it's fairly trivial to weaponize viruses. They're about the simplest form of life you can have.

The problem with bioweapons I think is more of how you deliver it than how you engineer it. That's a big problem with bioweapons today, even though we're all on the same planet. In a setting like Outsider, it's going to be very difficult to get your bioweapon to the target when you don't have much access to enemy territory.

Since there are many different inhabited planets, there have to be pretty effective "health and safety" checkpoints at starbases before aliens are allowed through to a planet (if they are allowed at all). Natural viruses probably aren't much of a threat, but any kind of invasive species can disrupt ecosystems (as we're learning today). If a planet's airspace is sufficiently monitored, it should be hard to just slip past them and land undetected, even in peacetime... it's not as simple as slipping across the border.
Bioweapons are insanely hard to control too.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:38 am
I think it depends on the outlook of the individual or group and what is meant by "respect." The Loroi are already allied with species that are not matriarchal.

Would humanity reject the Loroi as allies or think less of them because they are not patriarchal? In my imagination this doesn't seem likely.

I don't think at this point that the Loroi give a toss whether aliens "respect" them or not... they mostly want said aliens not to be bent on destroying them.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:40 am
That's true too, but perhaps less of a concern if the target is a faraway alien world.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:29 am
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:38 am
I think it depends on the outlook of the individual or group and what is meant by "respect." The Loroi are already allied with species that are not matriarchal.

Would humanity reject the Loroi as allies or think less of them because they are not patriarchal? In my imagination this doesn't seem likely.

I don't think at this point that the Loroi give a toss whether aliens "respect" them or not... they mostly want said aliens not to be bent on destroying them.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:40 am
That's true too, but perhaps less of a concern if the target is a faraway alien world.
Well I was wondering how the Lorori would respond to male dominant cultures but at this point they probably have more pressing concerns than that like will these races slaughter you all. Yeah Bioweapons are such pains in the asses like look at the black death or yellow fever you can't control who dies once its opened.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 pm

Well I was wondering how the Lorori would respond to male dominant cultures but at this point they probably have more pressing concerns than that like will these races slaughter you all. Yeah Bioweapons are such pains in the asses like look at the black death or yellow fever you can't control who dies once its opened.
At this point in time the loroi have seen quite a lot of different cultures and are not shocked by aliens having different customs (how unexpected). They are disturbed by three things:
1. Humans look like loroi, but are still a different species with its own culture. Loroi are fine with aliens having different cultures, but we are not different or alien enough for that to fully sink in.
2. Loroi are used to their telepatic advantage and besides, it is one of their primary senses. Humans, however are competely blank at this point. Imagine talking to an alien that looks like us, but has no facial expessions whatsoever. Like this:Image
3. The existence of humanity disproves one of the pillars of their propaganda, that the Loroi are not the "successors" of the Soia, but yet another of their creations just like the Barsams.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Besides a matriarchal culture, wider eyer and bigger irises, and telepathy and telekineis, in what ways are Loroi different than human women?

You may add to this but:

Pro: Apparently they do not have menstrual cycles, so they do not have monlthly anger/blood issue cycles.

Either way: They grow up FAST!

Con: Way overpowered if they are Teidar or Mizol. Don't upset a super.

Did I get everything? I think so.

So beyond all that....no further difference between Loroi and the human women we know?

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Lower body temperature than humans.

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

They live longer than humans and have a more efficient metabolism (and usually only eat once a day as a result). I think their culture views food differently than most human cultures, but I'm not sure where I saw that.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Oh yeah, unless they all prefer smoky vanilla cologne (doubt it), that's what they smell like in close proximity. Could just be their perspiration under stress? Or even could be pheramones activated near a male, since in their cultures males are more or less mainly a source for babies?

Instead of smelling all funky maybe they just smell like smoky vanilla at first, but if they have not bathed in a while it becomes smokier and smokier until threy smell like burnt ashes LOL...along with funk!

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

inxsi wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:23 pm
They live longer than humans and have a more efficient metabolism (and usually only eat once a day as a result). I think their culture views food differently than most human cultures, but I'm not sure where I saw that.

Obesity is unlikely a thing, imagine how it would feel to KNOW what others think of you and be overweight at the same time?