Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Post by Karst45 »

I don't know what program you use or what is the limitation of your games but you could always try to use "Bump" map to give your texture more dept with minimal Polygon change

Also the middle fin seem kind of plain. It kind of stick out.

otherwise real nice work!

Post by 088 »

Yeah the textures got mucked up when i optimized the model.
and i haven't figured out how to use bump mapping yet :)

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

@088 What program are you using?
Supporter of forum RPG

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Bump mapping work pretty much the same way on most program, it path to apply it that differ.

It like having a paper with your "drawing" on it then embossing it to add reliefs.

It read the bump map on a grayscale. interperting the darker shade as "hole" and lighter as "hills" though it may be the other way around depending on the program.

Hope that help a little. if it 3ds max i may have some usefull information on how to apply it... somewhere...

Michael

Post by Michael »

how do i view spoilers?
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Michael wrote:how do i view spoilers?
Just click on the "SHOW" text next to the world SPOILER.

If you don't see that, your browser may have scripts disabled or something of that sort.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

The only critique that I have is that those two big boxes probably don't belong on the battleship's fin. They'll cause torque on the fin (thereby weakening it), will increase infrastructure challenges (you'll have to run more utility stuff to the end of the fin), and aren't likely to be useful (the old sea-going battleships had observation decks mounted fairly high up, but that was BEFORE radar, so if we built any now we WOULDN'T put them on).

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Absalom wrote:The only critique that I have is that those two big boxes probably don't belong on the battleship's fin. They'll cause torque on the fin (thereby weakening it), will increase infrastructure challenges (you'll have to run more utility stuff to the end of the fin), and aren't likely to be useful (the old sea-going battleships had observation decks mounted fairly high up, but that was BEFORE radar, so if we built any now we WOULDN'T put them on).
Not like you'd see anything naked-eye of great relevance, anyway. Perhaps an instrument cluster, various things that need a clear line of sight and would benefit from distance from all the stuff going on inside the ship.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

@088
very nice 088, now that is a BS class ship.

as for those fines they could be massive thrust packs ?
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Michael

Post by Michael »

Arioch wrote:

If you don't see that, your browser may have scripts disabled or something of that sort.
hmm, won't work on firefox, one moment (turns on Google chrome) EEEEEEE! now i can see them, very nice :)
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Michael wrote:
Arioch wrote:

hmm, won't work on firefox, one moment (turns on Google chrome) EEEEEEE! now i can see them, very nice :)
then your firefox security is set to high because i can see them.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

NOMAD wrote:as for those fines they could be massive thrust packs ?
Off-center, not a good idea.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

ops, guess I need to look at which fin. he he

sensors it could be ( with some minimum roll thrusters )
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Michael

Post by Michael »

Karst45 wrote:then your firefox security is set to high because i can see them.
where would i go to change them? (Sorry for the blatant topic change going on here, you can just PM your answer to me so we can keep this off the board)

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

NOMAD wrote:ops, guess I need to look at which fin. he he

I like the idea of an off center observation deck. But on a warship this is not an option.

other possibility include, but are not limited to, heat dissipator
Coupling arm for ressuply,
auxiliary command deck.
Profit!

@Michael,
i dont know how i just emmited an hypothesis. it all work fine with me, try to look up google for an more precise answer.

Post by 088 »

Hello there sorry i was gone on a trip.
as for the design characteristics of my model was more based on aesthetics rather then thinking of what each section would actually be used for.
the fin on top of the ship isn't just a fin but a conning tower like structure. probably housing sensors communications and fire control.
the bottom one is also sensors/coms but i figured the antenna array would give that away. sensors are very important in space after all so the redundancy didn't bother me.
and i do use 3dsmax so any info on bump mapping or how to optimize without mucking up the textures would be awesome.
and tell me why is it a bad idea to have an off center deck? it makes plenty of sense to me. for various reasons including having an off set viewpoint so you/your fire control software can better judge distances. while radar is used for that kind of thing. it still seams being able to triangulate would be better.

and thank everyone for there opinions. i love debating this kind of stuff :mrgreen:

Michael

Post by Michael »

Karst45 wrote:
NOMAD wrote:ops, guess I need to look at which fin. he he

I like the idea of an off center observation deck. But on a warship this is not an option.

other possibility include, but are not limited to, heat dissipator
Coupling arm for ressuply,
auxiliary command deck.
Profit!

@Michael,
i dont know how i just emmited an hypothesis. it all work fine with me, try to look up google for an more precise answer.
maybe a observation deck?

also:

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

088 wrote:and tell me why is it a bad idea to have an off center deck? it makes plenty of sense to me. for various reasons including having an off set viewpoint so you/your fire control software can better judge distances. while radar is used for that kind of thing. it still seams being able to triangulate would be better.

and thank everyone for there opinions. i love debating this kind of stuff :mrgreen:
Well it not the off center that is the problem. it the observation deck. Though if you had an command deck that stick outside of the ship, that would make it quite a tempting target.

As for 3ds max it quite simple but kind of hard to explain only by text. so here, have a link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArePsrcJFG0

as for creating a bumb texture, any texture with shade of gray work. Try to look up what you want on google and add "black and white" and/or texture

for exemple Armor plating
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/3704.html

Though if you have question about how to make it seamless. you should ask Arioch, he did some pretty neat thing with his Kawai seamless wallpaper of outsider.

Post by 088 »

Thanks for the Info =3
ill be sure to put it to good use.

as for the deck debate. while it would make a tempting target it would be harder to hit due to the relatively small cross section.
its like aiming for a head shot instead of a body shot. while you do a lot more damage with a head shot its a smaller target.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

088 wrote:as for the deck debate. while it would make a tempting target it would be harder to hit due to the relatively small cross section.
its like aiming for a head shot instead of a body shot. while you do a lot more damage with a head shot its a smaller target.
But with such a vulnerable, poorly protected target, a ship can be taken out of commission by a much smaller weapon, one which would normally only be effective against lightly armored targets. This greatly increases the number of enemy weapons that can take out your ship. And there's no reason to put a bridge or observation deck out in an exposed location like that...they can observe just as well from a heavily armored room buried deep inside the ship.