Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Concept Fanart of Future Terran Ship Designs

Post by Arioch »

Neat stuff!

Post by 088 »

Thanks!! i didn't add any missile/torpedo tubes to this one i plan to later. i wanted to make this one heavily turreted just to give it a great firing arcs. not sure how effective it would be in actual combat however. also if anyone knows a good tutorial on advanced texturing/bump mapping i would be most grateful!

also i have a question are the scout class vessels like the Bell going to serve as humans combat frigates/very light warships? or will they have a separate class for that?

LegioCI

Post by LegioCI »

If that's our Light Cruiser, I can't wait to see what our Dreadnaughts look like.
"But notice how the Human thinks. 'Interesting... how can I use this as a weapon?'" - Arioch

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

LegioCI wrote:If that's our Light Cruiser, I can't wait to see what our Dreadnaughts look like.
Or the Super-battleships.
sapere aude.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Trantor wrote:
LegioCI wrote:If that's our Light Cruiser, I can't wait to see what our Dreadnaughts look like.
:D
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Trantor wrote:

Misssed the best one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_class_battleship

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

TrashMan wrote:
Trantor wrote:
Misssed the best one:
Didn´t we had that pissing con^H^H^H^discussion before? :mrgreen:

And BTW: Montana Class is nothing outstanding, they´re still crippled by Panamax-needs (max length, beam...), and besides the fact that the times of the battleships were already over by then, they would have been no match against a H44-type: 920ft vs 1130ft, beam 121ft vs 170ft, 70kilotons vs 131kilotons, 28knots vs >>30knots (diesel engines plus walter-turbines) and last but not least 16" main artillery vs 20(!)".
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

TrashMan wrote:
Trantor wrote:

Misssed the best one:
i disagree, i can take any of those battleship with mine

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Yamato cannon online !
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Karst45 wrote:
i disagree, i can take any of those battleship with mine
Spaceships OP!

Hey, Arioch. Imperial Mk. II Star Destroyer vs. Tempest. Who wins?
Ashrain is best rain.

discord

Post by discord »

casimir: i can answer that, tempest, it's faster, got longer range MUCH longer range....and probably heavier hitting guns on a gun for gun basis, so one on one the imp deuce would not stand a chance....but there are some 40 THOUSAND star destroyers at the height of the imperial reign....

usually though it's a bad idea to compare tech from different universe....and i personally would say that human ships from outsider would probably tear a star destroyers to shreds even better....did i mention i have a distinct dislike for star wars ship design?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

yeah, it's hard to compare technologies from different canon, especially when those from the Star Wars canon have never been clearly defined. An Imperial cruiser has heavy firepower and can hyperjump whenever it feels like it, but the movies imply that their weaponry is relatively short-ranged, and of course there's no information on acceleration potential. Star Wars combat doesn't take place in a Newtonian universe.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Arioch wrote:Star Wars combat doesn't take place in a Newtonian universe.
True. In menace there was a ship landing on to city and slowing down while it's every glowing thrusters were pointing on to space.
That means that ships big enough aren't affected by either gravity or the law of velocity.
Supporter of forum RPG

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

bunnyboy wrote:
Arioch wrote:Star Wars combat doesn't take place in a Newtonian universe.
True. In menace there was a ship landing on to city and slowing down while it's every glowing thrusters were pointing on to space.
That means that ships big enough aren't affected by either gravity or the law of velocity.
My favorite one is the Super Star Destroyer that made orbit from UNDERGROUND on Coruscant. By just brute forcing through the city above it.

It had some sort of "anti-gravity cradle", but still.

Some people have made attempts at organizing ship canon, but there are disagreements even among official sources.

We can all agree that the Sun Crusher is pretty OP no matter WHAT universe it's in, though, right?
Ashrain is best rain.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Count Casimir wrote:Some people have made attempts at organizing ship canon, but there are disagreements even among official sources.
Sounds like fun. Do you have some links at hand?
Count Casimir wrote:We can all agree that the Sun Crusher is pretty OP no matter WHAT universe it's in, though, right?
That ice-cream cornet? :lol:
Seems like they were inspired by Raumpatrouille´s Overkill Device.

BTW: There´s a long living weekly pulp-booklet SF-series called "Perry Rhodan" here in Germany, in where one race uses captured brown dwarfs for fuel for their command ships. Crazy, eh?
sapere aude.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Trantor wrote:BTW: There´s a long living weekly pulp-booklet SF-series called "Perry Rhodan" here in Germany, in where one race uses captured brown dwarfs for fuel for their command ships. Crazy, eh?
Nothing compared with this:
SpoilerShow
Under sediment of Atlantis is hidden galactic scale doomsday arsenal of thousands warheads, each containing pair of blackholes, one matter and other antimatter, just waiting for retrieval.
Supporter of forum RPG

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

...which would be indistinguishable from two normal-matter black holes. What an incredible waste of antimatter. And that mass can't be too high, or it'd either be rather noticeable (as in "no more solar system" noticeable, if these are really supposed to be galactic scale doomsday weapons), or the containment/gravitational shielding systems would be a gravitational weapon at least as effective as the black holes they contain.

Capturing brown dwarfs for fuel sounds like it involves a higher level of competence.

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Brothers and sisters of nerdom! For several long, cold, rainy nights I have spent, wading my way through polygons and inadequate computer hardware, fighting my way through a program that I had only even downloaded on Saturday let alone taken time to properly learn how to use, metaphorically banging my head against a wall to bring unto you, a 3D concept for a Human Corvette.

Behold it in all its totally mediocre and completely newb glory!
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

The Mk.3 Something something name as of yet to be decided corvette! As a side note those observant among you may notice a pair of sponson thrusters on either side of the ships aft. Something I've thought would be a really good idea to enhance maneuverability, but can't say that I've ever seen actually put in place in any work of fiction I can recall.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

So this is what you have been busy with. Nice ...a brick...wall?
Are you using blender for program?
Supporter of forum RPG

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Not really what I've been busy with, I'm more or less joking around with how much time I actually dedicated to this. But yeah, blender, and I've got a LOOOONG way to go before I have any skill in it that's actually worth a salt. (Also the brick wall is supposed to be a composite armour look)