WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Mr Bojangles

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Mr Bojangles »

CJ Miller wrote:Image

Bah! Where the hell is its tail number? :P
Sweet design. Arioch, if you don't mind my asking, how big is that shuttle? I noticed in your sketches of Loroi fighter craft that there was a pilot next to them to show scale.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It's roughly 60m long with the vanes extended.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

60 meters? That pretty big. Would this qualify as a large shuttle, or do the Loroi have even bigger shuttles capable of planetfall?

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

I'm sure they have bigger cargo haulers and smaller spartan troop transports.

This one is essentially the Loroi equivalent of a Learjet.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Tamren wrote:I'm sure they have bigger cargo haulers and smaller spartan troop transports.

This one is essentially the Loroi equivalent of a Learjet.
You are most likely right. I imagine that they would have larger spacecraft to fill out different roles. But, for a large cargo hauler, capable of transporting thousands of tons of materiel, would it necessarily be able to make planetfall, let alone lift off from the planet? If Loroi gravitic control is good enough, then it probably would. Otherwise, getting that much mass into orbit is very expensive.

Of course, given Loroi tech, maybe they use space elevators to lift those kinds of loads into orbit. At least on planets well away from the front lines. The elevator's counterweight would make for a big, non-maneuverable target.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The most common shuttle types are listed at the bottom of the ship classes page.

Basically, a standard shuttle is about 30m, and a large shuttle about 60. Most shuttles will be specialized either for space-only duty or transatmospheric duty. The Highland is a VIP transport, so it has a relatively small payload but high acceleration, inertial dampers that allow it to take passengers at full acceleration, and trans-atmospheric capability. It's an expensive "Admiral's gig" that you would normally only find on squadron flagships or citadels.

For comparison, a B-52 is about 50m long, and a 747 is about 70m long.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

well, that is interesting, give the size differences. i thought it would be been smaller :/ but i guess if you have interia dampers and class i shields you need a big ships ( got to keep those high ranker officer protect and in comfort :) ) .

I really like the lifting body type hull, but retains the loroi spaced thruster assemblies (with deployable heat sinks for space ?).

what I also like is the landing gear, man that is a big set and odd arrangement
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

javcs

Post by javcs »

NOMAD wrote:well, that is interesting, give the size differences. i thought it would be been smaller :/ but i guess if you have interia dampers and class i shields you need a big ships ( got to keep those high ranker officer protect and in comfort :) ) .

I really like the lifting body type hull, but retains the loroi spaced thruster assemblies (with deployable heat sinks for space ?).

How do you see the landing gear as an odd arrangement? It makes a fair amount of sense to me - unlike aircraft, where the vast majority of mass is centrally located, it looks like it's spread out a great deal more in this shuttle. Reminds me a little bit of ... what was it called ... a flying wing prototype bomber that was worked on in WW2 by the USA, was being designed in anticipation of Great Britain falling to the Nazis, and was intended to be a transatlantic bomber. Don't remember how far along it got, but it had a similar (loosely speaking) theory behind landing gear distribution.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:The most common shuttle types are listed at the bottom of the ship classes page.

Basically, a standard shuttle is about 30m, and a large shuttle about 60. Most shuttles will be specialized either for space-only duty or transatmospheric duty. The Highland is a VIP transport, so it has a relatively small payload but high acceleration, inertial dampers that allow it to take passengers at full acceleration, and trans-atmospheric capability. It's an expensive "Admiral's gig" that you would normally only find on squadron flagships or citadels.

Are you telling us Tempest has a Highland-class shuttle in its small craft bay?
Peculiar craft to have onboard a ship participating in a raid. I'd have thought some extra interceptors would do more good.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

GeoModder wrote:Are you telling us Tempest has a Highland-class shuttle in its small craft bay?
Peculiar craft to have onboard a ship participating in a raid. I'd have thought some extra interceptors would do more good.
Stillstorm's gotta have her sweet rig man.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

fredgiblet wrote:Stillstorm's gotta have her sweet rig man.
But she's in bad odor with the emperor herself? :?

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Arioch wrote:The most common shuttle types are listed at the bottom of the ship classes page.

So, the Highland is a fully loaded sports package? :P

And thanks for the link. I find myself curious about how the Loroi handle logistics...

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

GeoModder wrote: Peculiar craft to have onboard a ship participating in a raid. I'd have thought some extra interceptors would do more good.
your free to tell her (stillstorm) that :P see how it go

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

I would actually imagine that the shuttle was stationed wherever SG-51 has just shown up, and it hopped over to Tempest to pick Alex up.
Ashrain is best rain.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Count Casimir wrote:I would actually imagine that the shuttle was stationed wherever SG-51 has just shown up, and it hopped over to Tempest to pick Alex up.
Well, looking at the Loroi ship classes page, the Tempest has one large shuttle. The Highland is a large shuttle, sooooo...

Or, it could have already been parked at wherever they happen to be.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

javcs wrote:
NOMAD wrote:well, that is interesting, give the size differences. i thought it would be been smaller :/ but i guess if you have interia dampers and class i shields you need a big ships ( got to keep those high ranker officer protect and in comfort :) ) .

How do you see the landing gear as an odd arrangement? It makes a fair amount of sense to me - unlike aircraft, where the vast majority of mass is centrally located, it looks like it's spread out a great deal more in this shuttle. Reminds me a little bit of ... what was it called ... a flying wing prototype bomber that was worked on in WW2 by the USA, was being designed in anticipation of Great Britain falling to the Nazis, and was intended to be a transatlantic bomber. Don't remember how far along it got, but it had a similar (loosely speaking) theory behind landing gear distribution.
Well I just thought of it as weird arrangement, but your right it does make alot of sense ( to spread out the weight of such a large vessal). and its does reminds me of the YB-35 and YB-49 ( and sucessor B-2), nice point Arioch. The shapce does remind me of the lifting body prototype X-planes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifting_body , but more advance ( as in 3-5 generations).

as for why the Tempest would have a Highland shuttle, it would fit given the size difference between the command cruiser and shuttle. beside I`m sure Still-Storm still has a few friends behind lines to get a nice ship. Or another opinion, it could be their just to bring Alex to where ever hes going and not attach to the 51st fleet .
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

The landing gear looks like 4 legs parallel and one leg forward. Makes sense. The wider back set of wheels distributes the weight and having a single set up front allows you to steer. If the wheels were in any other configuration it would make runway landings a little odd.

Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Actually I think it's more like the pentagonal 5 landing gear layout that we have on big passenger airplanes. A rear pair under the fuselage + a slightly forward pair wider apart at the base of the wings + the forward gear.

E: ref: 747, A380
Fandom established 2004*. (*Official records lost)
Sometimes I have a twisted mind…
¿What could possibly be better than giant robots fighting with knives? ¡Giant robots fighting with swords, of course!

Michael

Post by Michael »

javcs wrote:

its just a wing bomber, the idea was ditched at the time as there was no way a pilot could control the plane "dead stick", she was simply too unstable and a humane couldn't steer without on board computers, i believe the latest incarnation of the "wing bomber" is the B2-F117 might be wrong though, however the F117 is more similar to the Highland VIP shuttle craft. the vanes are they? the bits that flip out are probably gonna be for atmospheric steering, unless she has vectored steering system? like the Harrier jump jet or the F22 Raptor, where the jets exhausts (where the flames come out) move to direct the thrust.
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!