Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by dragoongfa »

Word of god is that the human particle beams are red.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:33 am

So, just out of curiosity - if you had a current human ship shoot beams - what colour would you pick ? Or you haven't really decided yet.
Lasers from all sides are red. The Terran Mjolnir is "reddish."

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

If I remember my Masters of Orion 2.....lasers would be red.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

New Question.

I reckon Loroi may not have any human equivalent to:

Supermarkets with an industry based on lots of advertising and cardboard and plastic.

Do they prefer reusability over wasteful advertising? I assume so, since at least since the Umiak their society is like fascism and geared totally for war.

How much vacation time do warriors get a year? Or is that not guaranteed?

How does the average warrior spend it? Since they do not have a normal family to return to? With squad mates?

Do they have to pay rent? If not...human males may sign up in droves to live on Loroi worlds as adopted warriors LOL

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Most Loroi warriors live on-base or aboard ship, in which food and housing is provided. Some warriors may live off-base in housing not owned by the government; in this case either the government pays for it or provides the warrior with an extra stipend to pay for it.

Time off depends on the situation. Warriors who are ashore or in port may have daily off-hours that they can spend doing what they like. Warriors who are deployed aboard ship will have daily off-hours, but obviously they can't leave the ship. Warriors normally get regular leave, but those deployed in forward areas (particularly in the raider groups) may not get leave very often, having to wait until the ship is being repaired and refitted, etc.

Cities and space stations have a variety of specialty shops, restaurants, amphitheaters, arenas, etc., where warriors can go during off-hours to spend money if they have it. A few will be government-run but most are probably privately operated. There is a wide variety of things to do. The Loroi economy used to be mercantilist with strict government management and lots of designated monopolies, but since the formation of the Union, their alien partners have taught the Loroi a lot about the benefits of free markets. Recently during the war, some defense-oriented companies were placed back under the old restrictions (or nationalized outright), and there is war-mandated rationing of some goods in some areas, but most regular consumer-oriented businesses haven't been greatly affected.

Most Loroi warriors have large extended families, but since they are warriors too, they can sometimes be widely dispersed. Family and friends may meet individually when they happen to be in the same area. When there's a concentration of family in a certain area (as with Tempo's family on Perrein), they may serve as a sort of home base for relatives on deployment to come to. Warriors may go on leave alone, or they may go together with shipmates/squadmates.

In an ultra-tech society, I expect recycling to be a no-brainer, but the tech is such that it's not something that consumers need to worry about. There will be automatic sorting of refuse, and much of the garbage can be tossed in a landfill but then harvested decades later for resources.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

What is the greatest gesture of respect that a non-psionic like Alex could do to impress the Loroi, especially if it is unexpected? Something that would make a Loroi feel honored.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

jterlecki wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 am
What is the greatest gesture of respect that a non-psionic like Alex could do to impress the Loroi, especially if it is unexpected? Something that would make a Loroi feel honored.

Loroi sre individuals so it will vary per individual.

These are not cookie cutter Klingons or Vulcans.

What will impress me (atheleticism, beauty, intelligence, being cultured) may mean nothing to someone who does not like atheletics and may be not want anyone close who is much smarter than they are.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:14 am
jterlecki wrote:
No, but there are things that can be cultural regardless. And being good looking, athletic or such are not gestures.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Not having been born with good looks is just so inconsiderate.

But for real, Loroi seem to be the type of people that will be really be impressed by deeds and not words or gestures. Promising a Loroi your friendship likely won't mean much, coming from your liehole. But actually getting up at 3am to drive 2 hours because their car broke down? Now that's respectable.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

jterlecki wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 am
Bamax wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:14 am
jterlecki wrote:
No, but there are things that can be cultural regardless. And being good looking, athletic or such are not gestures.

True....I was thinking of first impressions to impress. Reallly there is no one act but a pattern, a series of acts that will make a Loroi impressed.

So far by the way Alex is doing sub-par because he is not trying.to impress. He just wants to survive, which at this point I think is reasonable.....far more than him acting like a lustful teen just because he is around a bunch of slien pretty ladies.

Loroi ladies may be alien but they are still womem. And what women want is love...and to show you love them via continous action will impress without fail.

EDIT:My first answer is still cultural actually.

Some cultures value athleticism more than others. The act to impress may be winning a atheletic challenge, or helping them get work done using your muscles that shows you are putting maximum effort into it

Tempo's is fairly obvious, if Alex took an interest in her world's controversal cuisine it would win him points with her but lose points with the Taben girls-Talon and Spiral.

That.is perhaps the thing unexpected, that some.actions will lower others view while raise it for others xepending on their viewpoint.

Intelligence, showing you can understand them and are keenly in touch with how theyfeel and what they want before they ever ask would take time....longer than Alex likley has to develop on a high level. Also using knowledge of Loroi ways with due respect would mattee.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
"I have defeated your enemies. Happy Valentine's Day."

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:27 pm
jterlecki wrote:
"I have defeated your enemies. Happy Valentine's Day."
Totally and utterly defeated right?

Not "Yayyy! I destroyed a Umiak cyborg!"

Loroi looks surprised but says, "That's good! For a start. Only 30 billion or so more to go! Keep it up!"

Add-in Question: I really wanted to know if Loroi have fast food? Like burgers and fries? Full of massive chains like Mcdonalds and so forth?

Or is it more full of mom and pop family owned businesses all with their own unique flavors?

Also...say a Loroi male has sibling sister because he is a fraternal twin.

At what point do they separate the boys from girls in the community?

I reckon they live together and go to school together right? But at some age they are seperated?

Also, what if as an adult this same male's favorite female Loroi lover dies in battle and he snaps.

As in Batman level-you-killed-my-parents-I-will-never-get-over it kind of snap?

He implores the powers that be to let him help design drones to reduce casualties in the war. Also, as he is a wealthy male-like Batman, he seeks to build his own ship to do solo raids on the Umiak for revenge.

What are the chances for the Loroi letting a male Loroi play their version of Batman?

Slim to none? Or better if he is wealthy like Elon Musk?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:19 pm
I really wanted to know if Loroi have fast food? Like burgers and fries? Full of massive chains like Mcdonalds and so forth?
Or is it more full of mom and pop family owned businesses all with their own unique flavors?
I expect they'd have both.
Bamax wrote:
I reckon they live together and go to school together right? But at some age they are seperated?
When depends on the circumstances, but it's usually before they start school.
Bamax wrote:
Also, what if as an adult this same male's favorite female Loroi lover dies in battle and he snaps.
He implores the powers that be to let him help design drones to reduce casualties in the war. Also, as he is a wealthy male-like Batman, he seeks to build his own ship to do solo raids on the Umiak for revenge.
Males aren't supposed to have "favorite female lovers." They rarely see the same female twice.

Loroi males are wards of the state. If a male became obsessed with a particular female and let people know it, they'd most like try to have him in counseling.

If he tried to start telling the Loroi leadership how to run the war, this would depend on whether he could convince a highly ranked female to bring his proposals to the attention of the right people. But I would consider that highly unlikely. Any high-ranking officer who was perceived to be the puppet of a male would not keep her high rank for very long.

If he was very rich and decided to play Batman and chase crooks, he might be able to get away with that. But civilians are not permitted to build their own warships (males being considered civilians for this purpose), and that's not something you can easily hide.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 pm
Bamax wrote:
I really wanted to know if Loroi have fast food? Like burgers and fries? Full of massive chains like Mcdonalds and so forth?
I expect they'd have both.
Bamax wrote:
When depends on the circumstances, but it's usually before they start school.
Bamax wrote:
Males aren't supposed to have "favorite female lovers." They rarely see the same female twice.

Loroi males are wards of the state. If a male became obsessed with a particular female and let people know it, they'd most like try to have him in counseling.

If he tried to start telling the Loroi leadership how to run the war, this would depend on whether he could convince a highly ranked female to bring his proposals to the attention of the right people. But I would consider that highly unlikely. Any high-ranking officer who was perceived to be the puppet of a male would not keep her high rank for very long.

If he was very rich and decided to play Batman and chase crooks, he might be able to get away with that. But civilians are not permitted to build their own warships (males being considered civilians for this purpose), and that's not something you can easily hide.

Hmmm....so if his sister was high level enough and he was the CEO of a major weapons supplier for the Loroi battle fleet (for example let's say he manufactures the Blisters) he would have a slim chance to have his own hero ship. Even if his sister lost her rank she could sit in wealth as a civillan thanks to her brother so she wins either way.

That's assuming Loroi even let civillians own arms companies at all, if not then he has no chance outside of the criminal underworld, and whatever they have won't be battle fleet grade lethal.

His best chance I would presume would be a 'civillian' freighter that actually is carrying some serious firepower.

So if he can build his own ships at all and he owns an arms company, those are the best chances for being Loroi Batman.

As for a favorite lover, a high ranking Loroi can arrange for reoccuring visits you said somewhere before, and I am sure enough wealth and bribes can make Loroi look away for the right people.

So once she dies, then he would become....the Dark Elf....er Dark Elf Knight?

Not the hero the Loroi want, but the hero they uh...deserve.

Kind of like Alex LOL.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Loroi have a rigidly enforced class division between the military and civilians. The warriors are not allowed to engage in commerce, and civilians are not allowed to own or operate weapons. If a civilian or group of civilians tried to operate their own warship (even one their own company built), they would be immediately arrested. There's no Batcave that can hide the operation of an Outsider starship.

Taking a bribe as a warrior (or offering one as a civilian) is a very serious offense. The income of warriors is very strictly monitored; any new income or property would be immediately noticed by the system. This and the truthfulness of telepathy makes it very difficult for military officials to be corrupt (which is the point).

Krin

Post by Krin »

jterlecki wrote:
I'd imagine swearing an oath, that Alex would do everything within his power to convince his government to side with the Union. That Humanity would bear the same fate as the Loroi, win or lose.

Although the only contribution I can realistically think of is providing tactical strategy feedback, or allowing the Loroi to use Earth / Sol as a gateway jump point into enemy territory.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:36 pm
The Loroi have a rigidly enforced class division between the military and civilians. The warriors are not allowed to engage in commerce, and civilians are not allowed to own or operate weapons. If a civilian or group of civilians tried to operate their own warship (even one their own company built), they would be immediately arrested. There's no Batcave that can hide the operation of an Outsider starship.

Taking a bribe as a warrior (or offering one as a civilian) is a very serious offense. The income of warriors is very strictly monitored; any new income or property would be immediately noticed by the system. This and the truthfulness of telepathy makes it very difficult for military officials to be corrupt (which is the point).

I see...so even more implausible than a human Batman. How ironic!

One last group of questions today....sorry to pepper you with so many....but it is a lot more efficient than scrolling the 'codex' as I like to call it.

1. I assumed Loroi mainly 'talk' mentally. Like if I have a thought of hamburgers and fries I won't auto-send it whether I like it or not as *I want hamburgers and fries* to fellow Loroi will I?

Because if Loroi automatically say what they really mean telepathically then that would seem to cause a lot of problems and violence. Cannot tell you how many times I thought of 'choice' words but did not say them.

If that is so Loroi would have no filter at all for the worst of thoughts that humans usually don't say until pushed or aggravated.

2. Are Loroi boys raised by males or women? I assume girls are raised by women, as it kind of prevents potential pedophiles from being....that.

3. Given how Loroi do not have traditional familes, do most even know who their parents are? Or just the mom? I presume males know a lot less about their family than females.

4. Given how restricted males are, I would think it most efficient not to even give real names and just enjoy a female's time and send her on her way. Is that perhaps one of the reasons why all the Loroi seem to use nicknames? Beryl is not her real name, it is Ellis, and Spiral's real name is Nonnos, and Talon's real name starts with an A.

My Tbeory:

The benefits of human/Loroi alliance: Manifold really. Loroi ladies who wanted a monogamous relationship coukd have one. It need not deprive the Loroi of Loroi children either. I reckon her human husband would not tolerate a male Loroi bedding her, but test tube babies are a thing, and the Loroi or even futuristic humanity may have a much better grasp of doing this in a way that produces sound offspring without defects. So a married Loroi female would not have to cheat on her husband, but she would have to give the Loroi Union eggs on occasion to continue the Loroi race.

Come to think of it, Loroi males could do much the same arrangement with human women, though I also reckon that original ways of Loroi reproduction would never be totally fazed out either....it would just compete with test tube babies and human mates.

EDIT: I got a little better at usimg the 'codex'. I imagine during the attempted genocide of Seren perhaps a few PK males got a chance to play superhero. So Loroi Batman does exist! Or did In some shape or form. I am sure caste systems can be kissed goodbye when on the brink of utter annihilation.

Don't know if he survived though LOL. Fighting a bunch of bullet spraying Umiak is nasty work even for PK users since they are not bullet timers with their PK.

I also figured out that Loroi can screen out unwanted telepathy, so they don't have to hear anything unless someones 'screams' at them.

Good job on unique but not overpowered telepathy and PK!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:09 am
1. I assumed Loroi mainly 'talk' mentally. Like if I have a thought of hamburgers and fries I won't auto-send it whether I like it or not as *I want hamburgers and fries* to fellow Loroi will I?
Because if Loroi automatically say what they really mean telepathically then that would seem to cause a lot of problems and violence. Cannot tell you how many times I thought of 'choice' words but did not say them.
If that is so Loroi would have no filter at all for the worst of thoughts that humans usually don't say until pushed or aggravated.
Loroi don't automatically broadcast every thought telepathically, but if something is on your mind, it may slip out unconsciously during a casual conversation. It's very difficult to lie convincingly, and while you can refuse to answer a question (unless the questioner is using special skills), the refusal itself lets the questioner know something is up.

For Loroi warriors, it's a point of honor to be as brutally honest as possible, even if that means being rude.
Bamax wrote:
2. Are Loroi boys raised by males or women? I assume girls are raised by women, as it kind of prevents potential pedophiles from being....that.
All Loroi children are raised by females.
Bamax wrote:
3. Given how Loroi do not have traditional familes, do most even know who their parents are? Or just the mom? I presume males know a lot less about their family than females.
4. Given how restricted males are, I would think it most efficient not to even give real names and just enjoy a female's time and send her on her way. Is that perhaps one of the reasons why all the Loroi seem to use nicknames? Beryl is not her real name, it is Ellis, and Spiral's real name is Nonnos, and Talon's real name starts with an A.
Yes, Loroi know who their parents are. There is social status in who your parents are; Loroi take pride in a well-known father, even if they have never met him.
Bamax wrote:
EDIT: I got a little better at usimg the 'codex'. I imagine during the attempted genocide of Seren perhaps a few PK males got a chance to play superhero. So Loroi Batman does exist! Or did In some shape or form. I am sure caste systems can be kissed goodbye when on the brink of utter annihilation.
Don't know if he survived though LOL. Fighting a bunch of bullet spraying Umiak is nasty work even for PK users since they are not bullet timers with their PK.
There weren't any males on Seren during the occupation; they were evacuated long before the defenses collapsed. Seren was under attack for several years, and the evacuation would have begun pretty much the moment there was a danger.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Was worth a try! I am not a Batfan...I just find the whole concept absurd and yet profoundly amusing....more so for a geisha alien batman, but alas, he shall never be unless a fanfic writer wants a chuckle.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

There's nothing that precludes a Loroi male from secretly being a caped crimefighter... he's just not going to be fighting Umiak. Batman is a crimefighter, not a soldier.